Mobile Geforce GTX980 incoming...

chap

hey guys,

it seems like some1 answered my prayers

instead of havin a desktop cpu, we now can hae a desktop graphics which will be the ultimate gaming machine

maybe we can have it with a desktoop cpu aswell but i guess that will be a monster of a laptop.

look at those links u guys

english:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Nvidia-GeForce-GTX-980-990M-for-Notebooks-may-be-based-on-the-desktop-GTX-980.147698.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/High-end-Lenovo-gaming-notebook-with-GeForce-GTX-980-GPU-may-be-in-the-works.148363.0.html

german:

Nvidia: Geforce GTX 980 (990M) für Notebooks auf Basis der Desktop GTX 980? - Notebookcheck.com News

• 2 weeks later...
What makes you think they will have a new card then Prema?

Believe me I would love to spill the beans...had to keep quiet about new things since a long time now...but soon it'll be over and we can all share freely. :)

@Prema

I thought 990m would come out as "on-board" not "mxm".

That information is not accurate...

They had them ready back in April:

NVIDIA_DEV.13DA.xxxx.1558 = "NVIDIA E-GXX": is the regular version

NVIDIA_DEV.161A.xxxx.1558 = "NVIDIA E-GXX": is the g-sync version

The new Mobile Maxwell Quadros had even been ready over a year ago:

13B1 = Quadro M1000M

13FA = Quadro M3000M

13F8 = Quadro M5000M (Quadro variant of the GTX980M)

That's what happens when there is no competition...

of course nvidia has no competitor on the one hand,

on the other hand i can run every game out there maxed out with my 980m on FHD and 60fps, for QHD even the 990m will be too weak and i guess they wanted to let the 980m be enthusiast level for quiet some time.

nevertheless im really looking forward to the 990m, if the card will really come with 200W tdp those laptops r truely desktop replacements. and amd could compete aswell with 200W a fury nano in a mobile gaming machine could be possible.

this could get very very interesting

well thats sad...

the clevo zm series show a solution for cooling high tdps, the clevo with the 150W CPUs can handle them aswell... but for a gaming laptop its not that important to have a high end cpu rather than a gpu, a cooling sink with 2 radiators for the gpu would easily be capable of cooling 200W it would make so much more sens to have a very big gpu instead of having a sli/cf setup with all the problems involved.

but i guess the main reason were not having desktop gpus available for laptops is the price, for the price of a aftermarke 980m u can get a 980ti but they use the gtx970 gpu instead...its a real cashcow

Cooling wouldn't even be the main issue. The absolute maximum constant power draw by the entire card that the MXM-SIG will tolerate is 125W.

On a side note: No recent nvidia card has had more than a TGP of 105W under stock conditions, yet. (That was the GTX880M)

(I have no numbers for the GTX680MX but honestly doubt that TGP was the real reason for Apple's exclusivity deal)

Desktop GPUs will be much easier to use with the TB3 ports of the new models. We will see quite a few eGPU enclosures popping up, which will at least allow us to use the most powerful single destop GPUs.

well thats sure true but... als we can see in the alienware laptops they put weak soldered cpus in the laptops.

there is no more mobile extreme cpus like my 3920xm which can do 4.4 or more ghz in gaming if needed.

so we need machines like the clevo with desktop cpu...but imho if u have such a machine for example with the 980m with a little OC the benefit of an egpu setup with alle the problems, plus with the additional case and the additional screen the benefit is too small, it can be 30 maybe 50% more gpu power, but it costs so much money, 700€ for 980ti, 200+€ for case tb-cable ...additional screen after u already payed 2000+€ on an laptop

i always wanted a egpu setup, like 4or 3 years ago, nowadays since it is finally usable it lost its attractiveness.

• Thumbs Up 1

well thats sure true but... als we can see in the alienware laptops they put weak soldered cpus in the laptops.

there is no more mobile extreme cpus like my 3920xm which can do 4.4 or more ghz in gaming if needed.

so we need machines like the clevo with desktop cpu...but imho if u have such a machine for example with the 980m with a little OC the benefit of an egpu setup with alle the problems, plus with the additional case and the additional screen the benefit is too small, it can be 30 maybe 50% more gpu power, but it costs so much money, 700€ for 980ti, 200+€ for case tb-cable ...additional screen after u already payed 2000+€ on an laptop

i always wanted a egpu setup, like 4or 3 years ago, nowadays since it is finally usable it lost its attractiveness.

Maybe it's because you and I got older and games got less attractive.

And maybe you earn more money to get better notebook.

:)

• Thumbs Up 1

I am gonna wait and see. I have an M18x R2 on the way in a couple of weeks, but it already has 680m SLI that I can play with for a while.

IF this does turn out to be true, I am still gonna wait and see. Not really interested in being an early adopter with the recent Windows 10/nVidia fiasco. I also remember when everyone was chomping at the bit for the 880m and it turned out to be kind a non-event.

I hear you. Last night I was on the Mechwarrior Online forums looking for performance info on 680m SLI. One thread had a whole gang of people bashing all over laptops for gaming. They really have no idea how much power these things can have. Hell, my P170SM-A with an 880m has more punch than ANY of the systems my son's friends own. It's not like every gamer has bleeding edge tech to play with. My son has a XPS 15 with a GT 640m. He still cleans my clock when we go head to head. Sometimes he is only getting 20 FPS.

Well Prema, I have had the Asus G751JY now for 4 months, and it's 980m can digest everything I throw at it. And it doesn't heat to much (Asus has a good heatsync :)

So I would say the 980m with it's 100W is the limit in a normal 17 inch notebook.

If the 990m turns out to be a desktop-style GPU with close to 180-200W, I think that is not "moblie" anymore. Yes it will work, but I would rather wait for a new productino process GPU in 2016-2017 (less nm, less heat, more poewr). The 980m is the best solution for the next 12 months I belive.

But let's see what Nvidia will bring out, maybe they will manage to surprise us (althou I don't belive it one bi,t since they are without competition at the moment from AMD mobile)

When they say variable 184w it means it won't be mxm 3.0b anymore right? :(

If it is it'll have to be underclock/volted to be usable which I bet will hack away a huge chunk of performance.

I do hope with the release of this the prices of 980m and 970m's will drop.

When they say variable 184w it means it won't be mxm 3.0b anymore right? :(

If it is it'll have to be underclock/volted to be usable which I bet will hack away a huge chunk of performance.

I do hope with the release of this the prices of 980m and 970m's will drop.

Doubtful. The 880m, 780m, and 680m are still very expensive on rj-tech. Ebay is a bit better for them, but still far from cheap.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really wanna hear it?

OEMs are desperate to set themselves apart and confuse customers with their PR stunts.

First the announcement that MSI etc will offer K series CPUs for the first time in Notebooks.

(Nothing but a name change from XM/MX and to derail from from fact that the user can no longer change them as they are all gonna be soldered now).

Then Alienware trying to spread the idea that they have a new system with desktop CPU and even let people order them like that.

(While in reality it is nothing but a one year delayed BIOS update for an outdated system).

Now Asus advertises an optional water cooling solution.

(Which the user will require if he wants less throttle because their internal cooling is insufficient for the new chip.

Turning a: "It's slower without" into a "it's faster with" aka selling "Throttle" as a feature and call it "Turbo Boost").

The only Notebook brand which will have a real, non soldered, user replaceable, K series desktop chip, needs no external add-on gimmicks to run the new chip without throttle while maintaining MXM compatibility will be a Clevo.

No need to tell the user bed time stories...we will let the benchmarks talk and run them over with the truth!

Have mine on pre-order since April! :)

Really wanna hear it?

OEMs are desperate to set themselves apart and confuse customers with their PR stunts.

First the announcement that MSI etc will offer K series CPUs for the first time in Notebooks.

(Nothing but a name change from XM/MX and to derail from from fact that the user can no longer change them as they are all gonna be soldered now).

Then Alienware trying to spread the idea that they have a new system with desktop CPU and even let people order them like that.

(While in reality it is nothing but a one year delayed BIOS update for an outdated system).

Now Asus advertises an optional water cooling solution.

(Which the user will require if he wants less throttle because their internal cooling is insufficient for the new chip.

Turning a: "It's slower without" into a "it's faster with" aka selling "Throttle" as a feature and call it "Turbo Boost").

The only Notebook brand which will have a real, non soldered, user replaceable, K series desktop chip, needs no external add-on gimmicks to run the new chip without throttle while maintaining MXM compatibility will be a Clevo.

No need to tell the user bed time stories...we will let the benchmarks talk and run them over with the truth!

Have mine on pre-order since April! :)

WORD PREMA.... WORD

All of the smoke and mirror hype and outright lies and distortions designed to sell at the price of deception are enough to make anyone paying attention want to vomit.

What is so weird about it is many "enthusiasts" are swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

But if you had an extreme edition when did you ever upgrade it? It was the end of the line anyway, it may as well have been soldered.
That's totally missing the point, Brother @Meaker and it's an overly narrow view of the problem that contributes to the sentiment that this nonsensical BGA crap is palatable. It has very little to do with upgrades and everything to do with product quality and serviceability. I've had three motherboard replacements. I have several excellent Extreme CPUs that are nicely binned and overclock like a banshee, and my GPUs have good ASIC values and also overclock nicely. The motherboard replacements have been inconvenient, but the larger ramifications on my experience were greatly minimized because of replaceable components. I don't want to roll the dice on the silicon lottery and just take whatever they give me. And, guess what happens to motherboard prices when they include an "integrated high end" (sorry for the oxymoron) CPU and GPU?
I hope you realize that your use case is a VERY small portion of the market. If you were to draw a Venn diagram, your use case would be in the middle of:

* Needs high-performing CPU and GPU in a laptop

* Willing to deal with the portability trade-off (weight, battery life) to get that CPU and GPU power

* Willing to pay a price premium to get that CPU and GPU power in a portable form factor

* Wants to overclock CPU and GPU components

* Has motherboard (or other critical internal component) fail multiple times

* Has skills and capability to perform service / repair on that laptop.

* Wants to retain the existing CPU / GPU, on the basis that the overclockability of that part has been tested, validated, and known.

I mean, I get it... socketed CPUs are definitely preferable to soldered CPUs. But even as an enthusiast myself, I just don't see how it's that important. For example, I'd consider battery life and portability to be highly important factors when buying my own laptops... even more important than raw CPU / GPU power. If I have to settle for a socketed CPU in order to get that battery life and portability, I'd gladly take it.

If you had the option to get a socketed CPU, what trade-offs would you be willing to pay in order to get that?

Well, I keep hearing those lame excuses over and over, and frankly I don't care one iota what portion of the market I represent. Kool-Aid drinkers can rationalize their move to a retarded BGA model all they want to and that doesn't excuse it or make it acceptable if you care about quality and serviceability. Let's be perfectly clear... Intel is doing this because it serves their selfish interests, and the interests of the OEMs that want to sell dead-end disposable trash machines above and beyond anything and everything else. We can either become part of the problem or part of the solution. I'm unwilling to compromise to help Intel achieve their objectives.

The problem is the pendulum swinging one way and getting stuck there at the exclusion of everything else. I understand there is a market for poor and mediocre performance devices with long battery life and a diminutive form factor. Fine. I don't care about those things and I want DTR laptops that are huge, heavy and deliver face-melting performance, full serviceability and uncompromised flexibility. I can put that in a backpack and go anywhere and everywhere I can with a compromised product that is easier to deal with... I can have my cake and eat it, too. Buying a crippled, hobbled and disposable product isn't an option and the only reason I have a problem with it is because they seek to make that the status quo. There needs to be options for those that are unwilling to compromise. The lack of options is a problem, and I'm not going to be swayed by half-hearted efforts to deliver something that merely provides good performance in a disposable package.

Like our friend @D2 Ultima, a lonely voice of reason, crying in the wilderness, I represent the other side of the coin and my intent is to wake those that sleep and get them to think. The only decisions that are bad decisions are those that are made in a vacuum by the uninformed and misinformed. Far be it from me to tell someone they shouldn't buy a BGA machine if they have weighed the pros and cons and decide that's what they actually want and know what the trade-offs are for accepting a lesser product.

We're not talking about ULV CPUs for a pathetic tablet or Ultrabook that a university student needs to pack around all day without recharging the battery or getting a sore back. I actually get that, and there is already a plethora of nauseous options available to that customer. We're talking about a faked-out psuedo-enthusiast piece of crap, packaged in a pretty foil wrapper and marketed to people that think they are getting something awesome. That's compromise and those deceived by it are not wise. Think about how utterly idiotic the concept of a BGA "K" unlocked CPU is... ridiculous to put it mildly. That makes no sense... like placing solid gold rings in the snout of swine. It boils down to two things, which compliment one another: money and control. Neither of those serve the interests of customers.

• 2 weeks later...

So, since they have indeed settled on the "GTX980" name for the "E-GXX", what do you guys think?

Personally I would have liked GTX990M or even GTX999M (to mark the end of an era) much better to set them apart from an already existing desktop product with much higher vRAM speeds.

I think it will just add to a lot of confusion for shops that offer MXM GPU upgrades...

This card will probably* be an official option in all PxxxDM as well as PxxxDM-G shells...

As usual we as Clevo community will probably have to take care of the P7xxZM (especially for the g-sync part), P570WM, P37...

EDIT: *The P7xxDM BIOS already has been given official N16E-GXX support, but it all depends on them also supplying the cards in MXM-B flavor to the end-user.