GT780DX and upgrade to the GTX 9xxM

gstw

Does anyone Honourable forum users exchanging graphics card in the MSI GT780DX on any of the GTX 9xxM?

Is cards with the GTX 9xxM will work in GT780DX?

sorry for my english (google translate)

Yes, the GTX900M Series runs without any problems in the MS-1761 Barebone. This Series works in all MSI Barebones. You can visit our german MSI Forum https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php/topic,107088.0.html or https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php/topic,107772.0.html

However, I recommend the MSI version of GTX900M series, because there you need not modified driver or even another VBIOS. These cards worked Plug & Play. They can be easily available for purchase by buying the GT72 MXM Upgrade Kit. However, one needs a new heatpipe that I would recommend the normal Kepler Heatpipe, because you must modify only slightly, because the Maxwell heatpipes are priceless.

Yes, the GTX900M Series runs without any problems in the MS-1761 Barebone. This Series works in all MSI Barebones. You can visit our german MSI Forum https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php/topic,107088.0.html or https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php/topic,107772.0.html

However, I recommend the MSI version of GTX900M series, because there you need not modified driver or even another VBIOS. These cards worked Plug & Play. They can be easily available for purchase by buying the GT72 MXM Upgrade Kit. However, one needs a new heatpipe that I would recommend the normal Kepler Heatpipe, because you must modify only slightly, because the Maxwell heatpipes are priceless.

can you confirm GTX980M works ?

I know GTX970M does, but haven't find any info on 980m.

I'm worried the situation will be the same as with 770m/780m.

source perhaps ?

The GTX980M will work,is the same Maxwellchip.

GTX770M and GTX780M are different Keplerchips,GTX770M is GK106 and GTX780M is GK104.

GK104 never works in MS-16F2 and MS-1761,only GK106.

This is GTX 765M with modded Driver,because there is no MSI Vbios and GTX 770M.

• 2 months later...

Hello there,

Sorry for necroing this thread but I have a valid question.

I have a Force 1761 (MS-1761) and the video card is completely broken - GTX 570M

Now would iTzZent's comment apply to my laptop also? Can I replace my 570M to a 900 series graphics card?

If possible I wouldn't go for a 980M as it is still crazy expensive but a 960, 970 would suffice. (also would the 870M work?)

Please let me know if you would need any other info to answer my question.

Thanks a lot guys in advance

Balint

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi bloet can you clarify about the smaller copper pad on the older heatsink vs the new one. Is the idea to put thermalpads where you marked in yellow? Or do you just paste it like normal and just go with the partial coverage? So to sum i guess where do you put the thermal pads and does the smaller plate pose any problem temp wise?

• 2 months later...

RESURRECTION!!

Hey guys. Wanted to put my experience with GTX980m on a gt780dx.

TDP on GTX570m(Stock video card) is 75w

TDP on GTX980m is 125w

TDP on i7-2670qm is 45w

Power supply is 180w, some of you are doing the math already.

Temps are good, 70c gpu, lower on cpu. Cpu stress tests show everything is good on the processor cooling and stays at max stock clock speeds but as soon as I start a gpu test, cpu clocks drop to 797mhz(within 30 sec). I have duplicated this on the 180w stock power supply and a 240w Dell power supply.

All power saving is off, speed step disable,EIST disabled, power cord is plugged in

Tested with turbo fan on and off

i7-2670qm
Samsung 850evo 500gb ssd,
Seagate 750hdd 
32gb ram,
Stock everything else 

i hit power throttling when running 3dmark causing the cpu to drop to 800mhz and FPS to just dump to about 14. See the attached picture.

I have the same problem with the dell 240w adapter.

I have a Kill-a-Watt coming in 2 days and I will give an update on the power draw of the system.

The GTX970m is only 100w and may be the option i have to drop down to if I cannot get this to work.

Power test.PNG

The Problem is i think the EC-Firmware from the MS-1761,it locks the Power maximum at 180W.

And the MS-1761 dosn`t have Hybrid Power,i think the GTX 970M ist the better Choise.

The GTX 970M have also throttling,but not so much and only when it need Full Power.

The Dell 230W Power Supply helps a little,but the Different in 3Dmark11 was 200 Points.

Nearly Nothing

GREAT SUCCESS!!!! Check it out now!

Gt780dx with throttle stop and lessons learned...

Throttle stop how to use general http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

Attached pictures are my settings. EIST must be on, disable BDPROCHOT(this allows the system to under clock the processor if the GPU is too hot and vice versa)

Also, make sure when you set your multiplier that you are sure that the system is designed to handle it (I am playing it safe here) so go into the "TRL" and use the max Turbo Ratio Limit you feel comfortable with if you want to use Turbo Boost.

I disabled all C state also, I am no expert here so I am open to feedback.

Also, I have two dell power supply's(240W) that gave me some heartache. With Kill-A-Watt, the dell PSU would tap out at 180W, just flat line. I switched back to stock PSU and guess what.... peak Power I saw being used was 209W... wtf lol... so long story short, the system became very unstable with the Dell PSUs and would shutoff during Firestrike benchmark but as soon as I went back to the stock PSU, Benchmark and games are no problems.

Let me know if anyone has any corrections/ updates/feedback.

Lastly, I tested with Intel Speed Step enabled and disabled in BIOS, no change seen after using throttle stop

. c state.PNGmax limits throttle stop.PNG throttle stop 1.PNGext cooling, non turbo boost, eist on, stock psu.PNGpower consumption.PNG

• 1 year later...

Hello I ve ordered a 970m to replace my burned out 570m on my gt780. Is there any other way to remove that part of the heatsink other than a rotary tool? I dont have access to one at the moment.

Also, its the Msi version of the card, do I have to flash a new bios or vbios to make it work? Its the 6gb version.

Edited by Infernal12

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2016 at 11:04 AM, ninjaneer said:

GREAT SUCCESS!!!! Check it out now!

Gt780dx with throttle stop and lessons learned...

Throttle stop how to use general http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/

Attached pictures are my settings. EIST must be on, disable BDPROCHOT(this allows the system to under clock the processor if the GPU is too hot and vice versa)

Also, make sure when you set your multiplier that you are sure that the system is designed to handle it (I am playing it safe here) so go into the "TRL" and use the max Turbo Ratio Limit you feel comfortable with if you want to use Turbo Boost.

I disabled all C state also, I am no expert here so I am open to feedback.

Also, I have two dell power supply's(240W) that gave me some heartache. With Kill-A-Watt, the dell PSU would tap out at 180W, just flat line. I switched back to stock PSU and guess what.... peak Power I saw being used was 209W... wtf lol... so long story short, the system became very unstable with the Dell PSUs and would shutoff during Firestrike benchmark but as soon as I went back to the stock PSU, Benchmark and games are no problems.

Let me know if anyone has any corrections/ updates/feedback.

Lastly, I tested with Intel Speed Step enabled and disabled in BIOS, no change seen after using throttle stop

I am having difficulty finding information on what specific card to use to replace my fried card (MS-1W051 Ver 1.0) in my MSI GT780DXR ... no one sells the exact model replacement. Your success is important but I am confused by what's available on ebay (items listed as MSI/CLEO/DELL/etc... but sites say it must be an MSI). I have no troubles modifying the heatsink as needed but need to make sure I'm ordering the exact part(s) AND that I don't need any special BIOS or video bios hacks for it to work (machine is dead/no video now). I don't have a requirement to overclock, just want it get it working again with stock video drivers. Any guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated.

On 2/7/2019 at 5:11 PM, cmariotti said:

I am having difficulty finding information on what specific card to use to replace my fried card (MS-1W051 Ver 1.0) in my MSI GT780DXR ... no one sells the exact model replacement. Your success is important but I am confused by what's available on ebay (items listed as MSI/CLEO/DELL/etc... but sites say it must be an MSI). I have no troubles modifying the heatsink as needed but need to make sure I'm ordering the exact part(s) AND that I don't need any special BIOS or video bios hacks for it to work (machine is dead/no video now). I don't have a requirement to overclock, just want it get it working again with stock video drivers. Any guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated.

I just successfully upgraded my GT780DXR to a 970m 3GB, I scored the card off ebay from a buyer who had removed it from an MSI GT72. I've had success with a 770m as well before using the 970m.  I would be really cautious about buying one of the multi-manufacturer cards as the MSI machines are very picky. I had a Dell branded 770m the first time and it did not work at all, ended up having to use an MSI branded card. You can flash the vBIOS of the Dell and Clevo cards to get them working but it's a painful process as you probably know.

Also as far as I am aware the Clevo-specific cards will work in an MSI, but you will need modded INF files every time you update your drivers.

Edited by ApolloX75

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2016 at 1:17 PM, ninjaneer said:

RESURRECTION!!

Hey guys. Wanted to put my experience with GTX980m on a gt780dx.

TDP on GTX570m(Stock video card) is 75w

TDP on GTX980m is 125w

TDP on i7-2670qm is 45w

Power supply is 180w, some of you are doing the math already.

Temps are good, 70c gpu, lower on cpu. Cpu stress tests show everything is good on the processor cooling and stays at max stock clock speeds but as soon as I start a gpu test, cpu clocks drop to 797mhz(within 30 sec). I have duplicated this on the 180w stock power supply and a 240w Dell power supply.

All power saving is off, speed step disable,EIST disabled, power cord is plugged in

Tested with turbo fan on and off

i7-2670qm
Samsung 850evo 500gb ssd,
Seagate 750hdd 
32gb ram,
Stock everything else 

i hit power throttling when running 3dmark causing the cpu to drop to 800mhz and FPS to just dump to about 14. See the attached picture.

I have the same problem with the dell 240w adapter.

I have a Kill-a-Watt coming in 2 days and I will give an update on the power draw of the system.

The GTX970m is only 100w and may be the option i have to drop down to if I cannot get this to work.

Power test.PNG

I upgraded to a GTX 970M and now my CPU throttles while playing video games. Throttlestop isn't doing anything; did you use an unlocked BIOS?

Also, my GPU tends to get really hot (up to 88ºC), so maybe I should buy better thermal paste and check the thermal pads I installed... [EDIT] I reapplied quality thermal paste and brought my temps down by 15ºC (CPU is also cooler now). My computer keeps throttling when turbo is enabled, though. It definitely has to do with the power supply.

Edited by poliester

• 2 years later...

Hello! I have an Msi GT780DX installed a GTX970m 6Gb card.
But I didn't notice any performance gain, changed Vbios, changed Bios Unlock.
I can't notice any difference compared to the GTX570m.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

There should definite be a significant boost in performance. Can you use MSI Afterburner to verify the performance of the card? What are your 3D Mark benchmarks showing.

Side note, should anyone be interested in a similar upgrade i have listed my gpu, cpu heatsinks and fans for this upgrade on ebay.

• 1 year later...

GeForce 970M worked fine on my MS-1761 barebone, alongside with a i7-2670QM CPU. Bought it from an AliExpress vendor who described it as MSi branded.

I adapted my GeForce 570M heatsink as described by Bloetschkopf. Nothing a "traditional file" can't do lol XD. And recycled the thermal pads I already had.

No inputs on hardcore performance, since I don't use it for gaming.

Thank y'all a lot for the help. Very happy here after ressurecting my beloved 12yo notebook.