Need help with Eurocom X8/P377SM-A, willing to pay $

i_pk_pjers_i

Hello,

Recently I bought an Eurocom X8 and I am having trouble getting the brightness control to work. My laptop has 2 970m GPUs in SLI, and a 120Hz screen LP173WF2 which uses eDP. I couldn't get it to work in Windows 8.1 until I flashed a Prema BIOS and Prema VBIOS on the GPUs, then tried like 7 or 8 different NVIDIA drivers until it worked. However, I recently updated to Windows 10 and the brightness control has stopped working. I would really like to get it working again but in Windows 10 instead of Windows 8.1. To me, it seems clear that it is not a hardware issue since I did get it working at some point. However, the weird thing about this is, the one time I got it working when the screen brightness was set to 0/the lowest, the display turned off completely... I don't think this is normal since I have never seen any other Clevo laptop do this, but perhaps I am wrong and that is normal. I emailed Prema and we talked back and forth and couldn't really figure it out. I tried a newer stock BIOS/EC that he said would work with Windows 10 for brightness, but that didn't help, so then I went back to the latest Prema BIOS/EC (. I'm thinking it's something to do with the NVIDIA drivers, perhaps a configuration issue or something, maybe there is a setting I can change somewhere, or I need a custom NVIDIA driver somehow or something?

I am willing to pay money to whoever gets this fixed for me.

Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I looked through the emails that Prema sent me before. I tried something he suggested before and it didn't work before (or perhaps it did, because eventually brightness started working on 8.1).

He suggested this to me:

"Your BIOS and EC are fine now, must be the fact that Windows was setup with broken BIOS.

Try to add it manually:

1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key.

2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia".

3) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1.

4) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again."

I did it just now, and it worked again. To me, it seems like this fix should work for any non-iGPU display/laptop that doesn't have any working brightness control.

Well, I'm good for my word, so I'm going to donate to Prema again (this is like the 4th time I have donated to him, he really deserves every penny of it).

Mods, you can close this topic now.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 6 years later...
On 8/1/2015 at 3:08 PM, i_pk_pjers_i said:

I looked through the emails that Prema sent me before. I tried something he suggested before and it didn't work before (or perhaps it did, because eventually brightness started working on 8.1).

He suggested this to me:

"Your BIOS and EC are fine now, must be the fact that Windows was setup with broken BIOS.

Try to add it manually:

1) Open regedit and go to the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class" key.

2) Find the sub-key corresponding to the NVIDIA graphics adapter. I did this by going to Find in the Edit menu and searching for "nvidia".

3) Add a new DWORD called "EnableBrightnessControl" and set the value to 1.

4) Reboot and the brightness keys should work again."

I did it just now, and it worked again. To me, it seems like this fix should work for any non-iGPU display/laptop that doesn't have any working brightness control.

Well, I'm good for my word, so I'm going to donate to Prema again (this is like the 4th time I have donated to him, he really deserves every penny of it).

Mods, you can close this topic now.

If I weren't an economically screwed Brazilian I would also send money to you or even to him.

I was living in this hell of a screen brightness problem and I was sure it was a problem with the key in regedit, I just didn't know how to solve it. And worse, neither Nvidea nor Microsoft knew either.

Thank you so much for that!

Now there is only one outstanding question.

How to put the brightness adjustment in the functions fn+ F8 to decrease the intensity and fn+F9 to increase the intensity?

Would you know how to solve it?

There is one more info, I added the key in 4d36e968. But there are several subfolders with nvidia

Edited by LinMudorck