[Windows 10] on Clevo Laptops Issues and Solutons

AziraphaleUK

Thought I would create this thread for all Clevo users that have or are about to upgrade to Windows 10.

Please report back on an issues and solutions you may have with Windows 10.

Include details on your Clevo model, GFX cards and which version on Windows 10 you are running (Home, Pro, Ent, 32bit or 64bit), fresh install or upgrade (from what version of Windows).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. I've got a P170EM/NP9170 w/980m upgrade. Has anyone gotten Windows 10 to play nice after upgrading their card? I had the tech preview and could never get the optimus to switch to the 980m, but was able to install the tech preview.

Now the Windows 10 upgrade through windows update is saying my PC doesn't meet system requirements "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M The display manufacturer hasn't made your display compatible with Windows 10" is the message from windows update.

I'm running Prema's bios and vbios on the card. NVidia has published WHQL drivers out for Windows 10, so I'm not sure why the upgrade is saying the display isn't compatible...

I have a P170SM_A with a NV GeForce 870M and it's working wthout problem on W10.

When I installed RTM version, Windows shows cards as generic. When I installed inf chipset file, after restart, one of cards has Intel HD drivers. And them I installed last drivers from NVidia and works fine.

Be careful because W8 and W8.1 drivers aren't full compatibles with W10 anytimes. So if W10 detects your Realtek Ethernet or your WiFi Killer, the best that you can do is not intall manufacture drivers. or finally you obtain a BSOD for a driver error.

EM systems using a GTX9xxM GPU probably require the v3 Mod to be approved as compatible with Win10 upgrade procedure...if you have another older natively supported GPU you could also use that for being approved.

Nvidia's Geforce driver updates are being pushed thru to win10 before even being put on the Nvidia website. I installed one just about 15 minutes ago, update 353.62, and the most recently listed one on the Nvidia site for win10 is 353.30

Having said that tho, the drivers aren't complete. You can expect a number of the typical functionalities to be broken or missing entirely until complete & official driver updates are released from Nvidia, which probably won't be happening until after the win10 launch.

Lombar, did you install through the upgrade procedure or through separate media? I'm pretty sure I could install with a disk and get it to work. With the free upgrade from Win7/Win8, I don't know how they plan to allow people to do fresh installs. I was assuming somewhere along the upgrade process, you got your win10 key.

Prema, I'm sure you're right...my thought was that it was something related to the same reason you have to use a modded .inf to get Nvidia drivers installed. I still have my 670mx at home, but I'm out of the country for the next 10 months. I don't necessarily need to upgrade now...was going mirror my current OS and upgrade on a separate disk to see how I liked Win10.

Nvidia's Geforce driver updates are being pushed thru to win10 before even being put on the Nvidia website. I installed one just about 15 minutes ago, update 353.62, and the most recently listed one on the Nvidia site for win10 is 353.30

Having said that tho, the drivers aren't complete. You can expect a number of the typical functionalities to be broken or missing entirely until complete & official driver updates are released from Nvidia, which probably won't be happening until after the win10 launch.

Previously I was running tech preview 101xx and driver version 352.84. Optimus never switched to my dedicated card and I grew tired of tinkering with it. I just installed the 10240 tech preview (supposedly the same as RTM W10) and installed NVidia driver version 353.50...same results. The drivers install fine w/modded .inf, the 980m is present and recognized by windows, gpu-z, etc. but it doesn't switch from the Intel 4000 card.

You can upgrade your Windows from a bootable USB. You need to download Win10 ISO/USB from Microsoft using Media Creation Tool.

After the upgrade use Display Driver Uninstaller and completely remove previous NVidia driver. After that install newest driver with modded .inf (both driver and modded .inf are already available at laptopvideo2go.com). Everything works like a charm, no throttling. P170EM w/GTX980M and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit here, no issues at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a P170SM with a 970M and the v2 mod by Prema, just upgrade today with windows 10 64 bit, works perfectly!

I have noticed now that beside modding the .inf file, I dont' need anymore to boot windows with disabled signature enforcement and install the drivers through the device manager, its working perfecly just with the setup.exe, its never happened to me with windows 8...

...Just my 2 cent..

You can upgrade your Windows from a bootable USB. You need to download Win10 ISO/USB from Microsoft using Media Creation Tool.

After the upgrade use Display Driver Uninstaller and completely remove previous NVidia driver. After that install newest driver with modded .inf (both driver and modded .inf are already available at laptopvideo2go.com). Everything works like a charm, no throttling. P170EM w/GTX980M and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit here, no issues at all.

Well, I uninstalled both my Nvidia and Intel drivers w/DDU, installed Nvidia 353.62 (versus previous version 353.50) and then reinstalled Intel drivers via windows update. Not sure which one of those fixed it, but the dedicated card is working.

I have noticed now that beside modding the .inf file, I dont' need anymore to boot windows with disabled signature enforcement and install the drivers through the device manager, its working perfecly just with the setup.exe, its never happened to me with windows 8...

Interesting. I do have to disable driver signature enforcement to get the drivers to install w/modded .inf in W10. I don't recall having to do this in Windows 7.

Windows 10 installed yesterday on P370em with an sli of 970m, i do not have to report any problem for the moment. Installation made with the microsoft media creation tool, in update mode (not ISO) and i 've had to insall myself is the Nvidia driver. Just had to boot with driver signature check disabled, and modded .inf file: also, i've done that like a mad man, without uninstalling previous driver.

Only the Authentec fingerprint driver and software is missing (or better, not re- installed yet)

P570WM/980M in SLi. In place upgrade from Windows 7. Only a couple of slight issues, manly with Hotkey app..Can't turn on the Bluetooth (either in Hotkey or Windows) and the Hotkey for WiFi switching has no effect either on or off thou can be turned on/off within Windows.

The hardware indicator lights for BT and WiFi stay lit regardless if on or off under Windows 7 they would switch on and off.

And when you change the keyboard colours, the keyboard graphic/area selector is oversized, you need scroll the screen to exit the setting app.

Hotkey 6.0100 for Windows 7 also have tried Hotkey 8.0153 for Windows 8 both do the same thing.

Other than that everything else works just fine and Windows 10 is way better than 8, thou I really hate the flat look everything has and those spud ugly icons.

UPDATE: Even after a fresh clean install still cant get bluetooth to work (Intel 6235 with Intels Windows 10 drivers).

For anyone who have the same problem as me (keyboard an mouse not working):

Windows 10, install a driver called: Insyde driver update for Insyde Airplane Mode HID Mini-Driver.

To fix this, just disable the update with this software provided by Microsoft, everything is easy to do, just follow the instructions and then you will disable the update/driver that you don't want.

If you want to enable the update just run the software again

• 2 weeks later...
I have a P170SM with a 970M and the v2 mod by Prema, just upgrade today with windows 10 64 bit, works perfectly!

...Just my 2 cent..

I have the P157SM with a 970M 6gb and the Prema v2 mod, however my Optimus doesnt work for games and benchmarks... :(

I have the P157SM with a 970M 6gb and the Prema v2 mod, however my Optimus doesnt work for games and benchmarks... :(

Use Display Driver Uninstaller app to remove both Intel IGP and Nvidia GPU drivers from the system. Then install newest drivers, Intel first, NVidia second. This should solve the issue.

For anyone who have the same problem as me (keyboard an mouse not working):

Windows 10, install a driver called: Insyde driver update for Insyde Airplane Mode HID Mini-Driver.

To fix this, just disable the update with this software provided by Microsoft, everything is easy to do, just follow the instructions and then you will disable the update/driver that you don't want.

If you want to enable the update just run the software again

You know when i said that keyboard and mouse were working??

Well here is something funny, when i take out my usb mouse the keyboard and touchpad doesn`t work at all....

Pretty weird, i`m trying to figure it out and by the way i updated the driver to 8.0.145 and reverted to 8.0.134 with the same results, taking out my usb mouse screw the others...

Does anyone have this problem here?

P570WM/980M in SLi. In place upgrade from Windows 7. Only a couple of slight issues, manly with Hotkey app..Can't turn on the Bluetooth (either in Hotkey or Windows) and the Hotkey for WiFi switching has no effect either on or off thou can be turned on/off within Windows.

The hardware indicator lights for BT and WiFi stay lit regardless if on or off under Windows 7 they would switch on and off.

And when you change the keyboard colours, the keyboard graphic/area selector is oversized, you need scroll the screen to exit the setting app.

Hotkey 6.0100 for Windows 7 also have tried Hotkey 8.0153 for Windows 8 both do the same thing.

Other than that everything else works just fine and Windows 10 is way better than 8, thou I really hate the flat look everything has and those spud ugly icons.

UPDATE: Even after a fresh clean install still cant get bluetooth to work (Intel 6235 with Intels Windows 10 drivers).

I started having issues with my bluetooth as well (still on win 7 64 bits though). A few things to try that have helped me:

1) Check in Device Manager to see if you have bluetooth device listed. If not, run a scan for new hardware changes to see in Win10 recognizes the bluetooth at all.

2) If you have the device shown with a yellow exclamation mark (Likely with error 43 in the device status when checking the properties) try uninstalling then scan for new hardware changes. Windows should install the MS drivers. Then try re-installing the intel bluetooth drivers.

3) Make sure Bluetooth Support Service is set to automatic and started in Services. In my case, for some reason this was off and bluetooth would never get started on boot-up.

4) Run an elevated command prompt (cmd run as administrator) and type sfc /scannow. In my case this was needed to clear the bluetooth driver issue and it is now working fine for me (I have the dual-band Intel AC7260 in my system)

Let us know if this solves the issue. I'm waiting a bit before upgrading to Win10 but it's good to know if basic functionality that I need will remain.

I started having issues with my bluetooth as well (still on win 7 64 bits though). A few things to try that have helped me:

1) Check in Device Manager to see if you have bluetooth device listed. If not, run a scan for new hardware changes to see in Win10 recognizes the bluetooth at all.

2) If you have the device shown with a yellow exclamation mark (Likely with error 43 in the device status when checking the properties) try uninstalling then scan for new hardware changes. Windows should install the MS drivers. Then try re-installing the intel bluetooth drivers.

3) Make sure Bluetooth Support Service is set to automatic and started in Services. In my case, for some reason this was off and bluetooth would never get started on boot-up.

4) Run an elevated command prompt (cmd run as administrator) and type sfc /scannow. In my case this was needed to clear the bluetooth driver issue and it is now working fine for me (I have the dual-band Intel AC7260 in my system)

Let us know if this solves the issue. I'm waiting a bit before upgrading to Win10 but it's good to know if basic functionality that I need will remain.

Had tried everything you suggested and still no joy. However have now got it working. Ended up uninstalling the drivers for the WiFi/BT card, shutting down the machine. Removing the card, restarted Windows, then shutdown the machine again then put the card back in and restarting. This time Windows 10 picked up the WiFi/BT and installed its basic drivers then installed the Intel drivers. Everything working as it should so a happy bunny now.

Use Display Driver Uninstaller app to remove both Intel IGP and Nvidia GPU drivers from the system. Then install newest drivers, Intel first, NVidia second. This should solve the issue.

I did this around 5x and it didn't work.

Could this be related to my 157SM not supporting the 970M by default and requiring a INF edit?

An issue I'm seeing that I can't figure out: FFXIV is limited to 60 fps when using DX11. This happens for me both in the Heavensward benchmark and in the game. Framerate is not limited when running in DX9 mode. I've disabled the Xbox DVR app, disabled vsync, uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, verified DX is up to date, checked setting in FFXIV and the benchmark...all with no luck. The limited fps normally wouldn't be a big deal since I have a 60hz monitor, but there are screen tears when I play the game on Win10. Win7 on the same machine runs fine with no capped frame rates.

Edit:

Confirmed the same behavior with Unigine Heaven benchmark, so it's not unique to FFXIV. Running full screen only, DirectX 11 only, my framerate is limited to 60 fps. FPS is not limited when running DX11 in non-full screen or when running DX9 in full screen or windowed mode. Anyone having the same issue??

Had tried everything you suggested and still no joy. However have now got it working. Ended up uninstalling the drivers for the WiFi/BT card, shutting down the machine. Removing the card, restarted Windows, then shutdown the machine again then put the card back in and restarting. This time Windows 10 picked up the WiFi/BT and installed its basic drivers then installed the Intel drivers. Everything working as it should so a happy bunny now.

Well good to hear you got it working! It is weird that uninstalling/deleting the BT drivers in Device Manager didn't yield the same results. I have heard from a few people that they required a full shutdown (not just restart) for changes to take effect, so perhaps the key would be do uninstall/delete the current BT driver, then full shutdown, then reboot and let windows detect the "new" hardware and install its default drivers and finally install the intel ones. Well in any case, good to know that if all else fails, physically removing the card seems to yield results.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...