Mobile workstation - what to choose

axlastro

Question

I have an alienware m14xr2 which I don't use for gaming. I'm an Architect and my software is quite tough on the hardware. Allplan Nemetscheck which I use the most has some quite neat features that will work only on quadro videocards.

I was looking at some of HP's offerings such as the 15 g2 and 17g2 and also lenovo 540w but the HP's look better on paper. All are nachines that are locally stocked. They are quite expensive and they come with only 8 gb of ram and a 256gb ssd. Both Hp's are around 2500 Euro with the 15 g2 comi g with k2100m and 256 m2 ssd and the 17g2 coming with dreamcolor display and k3100m but i stead of m2 ssd it has an ordinary 256gb 2.5" ssd. Both have 8gb ram (dual 4gb) and 1tb HDD. I'd give the 17g2 an edge as it has better videocard and display.

I was also looking at some other options, namely some Clevo based custom built laptops. Those can be equiped with k3100m and desktop CPU. I can't see them in a store though so I'd have to order online from the UK, which can be tricky.

I'll be using Allplan, Autocad and Photoshop mostly.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

14 answers to this question

I would personally recommend looking at the clevo laptops. They have alot of customization options, especially if you get one from somewhere like rjtech.com. Lenovo Laptops I can say from experience are pretty good. However all lenovo laptops I have ever used have had a locked bios. This may or may not be relevant to you. As for the hp's sorry I don't have any experience with them so have no comment.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you. Their price is very good. I'm a bit concerned about desktop cpu on a laptop though - do you think the coolung would be sufficent and the battery life ? I guess there will be no optimus supported.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

So anyone care to explain - do you think that a machine with a desktop CPU will be MUCH faster for CAD and 3D work, as I see quite a lot of disadvantages for such machine - power consumption, no optimus, weight, short battery life ... It seems that even a clockable CPU will not allow for much higher clocks as the cooling system is nothing like the water cooled or serious air cooled systems for desktop.

Ok guys, I really need some opinion.

I can get :

1. HP Zbook 17 G2 with dream color display, k3100m, 4710HQ, 8GB ram and 256 GB SATA3 SSD, 1000GB HDD - 1960 EURO

2. HP Zbook 17 G2 normal HD display, k3100m, 4810HQ, 8GB ram and 256 GB M.2 SSD, 1000GB HDD- 1900 EURO

3. HP Zbook 15.6 G2 , k2100m, 4710HQ, 8GB ram, 256 GB m.2 SSD, 750GB HDD - 1750 EURO

4. HP Zbook 15.6 G1, k2100m, 4700HQ, 32 GB ram, 1TB Msata SSD, 750GB HDD - 1450 EURO - this one is second hand, but has 30 months remaining warranty.

I would recommend staying away from the business sides of web-stores. The same equipment can be found on the home user side for less. That said I have had a positive experience with the Lenovo U series. They tend to have introductory graphics, a solid processor, adequate HDD space, and a decent battery life for about $700. If there isn't enough HDD space for you in a laptop, large (128 GB+) flash drives are quite affordable.