2015 13" MBP + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2(AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [tranj10]

I've done a bit more experimentation, and I've found a method that works for me reliably. I have found it does not matter whether the GPU is powered up or not. Switching it off/on at the wall doesn't seem to matter.

Steps would be:

1) Have Macbook Pro powered off, Thunderbolt cable unplugged

2) Turn on Macbook Pro. When the internal display is turned on/it starts booting Windows, plug in the GPU. Ideally before the 'circle' starts on Windows startup

3) See if it works. If not, power off, and try again.

Using this method I've achieved about a 50% success rate when starting up. It also means that you can 100% avoid 'black screens' when starting.

I have found that you should plug in the GPU after you have already selected Windows, rather than at the boot partition selection screen.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, great thanks on the guide!

I now have a greater chance booting up OSX with EGPU, however, as for windows 10, it stuck at the loading screen with dots circling around.

What I want to share is that I saw another guy who had the same problem of difficulty on booting of 2015 model, and he contended that the problem occurs on GTX960 and GTX 970, whereas GTX650Ti can be perfectly used without these problems. I think this is something interesting, as I have only GTX970 available around me, I am wondering if anyone can test elder gpus and confirm that?

I've done a bit more experimentation, and I've found a method that works for me reliably. I have found it does not matter whether the GPU is powered up or not. Switching it off/on at the wall doesn't seem to matter.

Steps would be:

1) Have Macbook Pro powered off, Thunderbolt cable unplugged

2) Turn on Macbook Pro. When the internal display is turned on/it starts booting Windows, plug in the GPU. Ideally before the 'circle' starts on Windows startup

3) See if it works. If not, power off, and try again.

Using this method I've achieved about a 50% success rate when starting up. It also means that you can 100% avoid 'black screens' when starting.

I have found that you should plug in the GPU after you have already selected Windows, rather than at the boot partition selection screen.

I have found that if you wait until the spinning balls start before you plug in the EGPU it works 100% of the time.

I have also found that you can hot plug the EGPU after already in windows but sometimes it doesn't load the driver, even though the device shows up in the Device Manager.

• Thumbs Up 1

No need to wear out TB ports if you read my previous post. Maybe it can be automated on Windows side as well.

If you happen to have a stable AMD card, you won’t see ACPI BIOS errors on Windows 10. Windows 10 has built-in AMD drivers which are very eGPU friendly. I’m sure it’s not a coincidence.

I have a MBP pro 15,4 i7 with Iris pro 5200, I have the same setup with ASUS gtx970 mini, win 8.1 non UEFI on external USB 3.0 SSD and it works like a charm without any optimus installation needed. I did have to do the boot up a bit differently but it works :) .

Thanks guys.

Yesteday I ran into a problem when I restarted and now I rarely get the internal display working. Should I go the Optimus way in this case?

What do you mean by Optimus way? The internal display graphics are accelerated using NVIDIA optimus.

Generally when I run into issues (on Windows 8.1) for whatever reason I try:

1) Switching around thunderbolt ports on both the MacBook and Akitio chassis

2) Running a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers

What do you mean by Optimus way? The internal display graphics are accelerated using NVIDIA optimus.

Generally when I run into issues (on Windows 8.1) for whatever reason I try:

1) Switching around thunderbolt ports on both the MacBook and Akitio chassis

2) Running a clean install of the NVIDIA drivers

I solved my issue installing earlier drivers, the most recent drivers gave me problems, such as black screen flashing on higher resolutions.

The optimus way I meant, the tutorial on this forum for enabling the internal display. I see now that I don't need it.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Where else can I purchase the cables that were in the eBay link of the original post? I'd rather not deal with the annoyance of soldering as I have shaky hands. Also, has anyone confirmed this to work on OS X 10.11? I'm thinking about doing this myself, as long as I can get it working reliably using the internal display.

The pre done cables are not available anymore, because too many people bought the cables without knowing what they are for, complained and sent them back. Ebay wasn't happy that there have been so many complaints...

It works in OSX 10.11 but there is no way to play games in fullscreen on the internal display in OSX, only in Windows 8.1 if you have a MacBook with only Intel graphics.

The pre done cables are not available anymore, because too many people bought the cables without knowing what they are for, complained and sent them back. Ebay wasn't happy that there have been so many complaints...

It works in OSX 10.11 but there is no way to play games in fullscreen on the internal display in OSX, only in Windows 8.1 if you have a MacBook with only Intel graphics.

Is there an alternate way to obtain them?

So windowed and borderless work, but not fullscreen? Interesting. I am looking into getting an eGPU for Second Life under OS X, which is generally run windowed anyways. If you have tried this application with your eGPU, your findings would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On December 6, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Dschijn said:

use ONE PSU for both. 19V can damage a 12V device.

Question with the cables. Im planning to build egpu with almost the same set up as the op but using evga gtx 960 sc(it only got a 6pin connector). Do i still need this cable(http://www.ebay.com/itm/251837196021) or do i just need to plug in the 1pc 6pin pcie from this cable(http://www.ebay.com/itm/261932428549)

If you want to be able to close the AKiTiO case, you will need the one fan version of the EVGA GTX960 and the correct amount of 90° 6-Pin or 8-Pin PCIe plugs to power it.

If you don't want to close the case, you don't need to stick to that.

12 hours ago, Dschijn said:

If you want to be able to close the AKiTiO case, you will need the one fan version of the EVGA GTX960 and the correct amount of 90° 6-Pin or 8-Pin PCIe plugs to power it.

If you don't want to close the case, you don't need to stick to that.

Yes sir.thanks for the reply. But im still confused. Im getting this single fan version with a 6pin connector. Gpu image below. Do i just plug in only one 6 pin connector from this cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/261932428549 going to the gpu? Will it be enough to power the gpu?

or do i still need to buy this cable http://www.ebay.com/itm/251837196021 but with a 6pin connectors on both ends so that i can plug all the 6pin connectors from the 1st cable I mentioned? Or it's not necessary? Sorry for the noob question. Thanks again sir @Dschijn

btw this is my planned specs for my egpu build running on a Macbook pro 13" retina 2015(osx10.11.2 / win10):

-EVGA gtx 960 sc(single fan version)(6.80"x4.38") (max power draw:128w)

-Akitio thunder2 pcie enclosure

-Dell da-2

-these cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261932428549 & http://www.ebay.com/itm/261932428549

will it run stable or do i need to change some of the hardwares or the os version on osx/windows? Thanks! :)

2595834-l-d.jpg

Edited by aldwinjimenez

42 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

@aldwinjimenez The "all in one cable" you linked is not made anymore!

You will need:

- 90 degree 6-Pin PCIe

- 6-Pin PCIe y-cable

- barrel plug with screw terminal

Oh forgot to mention i contacted the ebay seller and said he cant sell the cable anymore on ebay but it can still be purchased directly from him. 

Edited by aldwinjimenez

2 hours ago, Dschijn said:
8 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Oh that is great. That cable is the only thing you need if you want to power the GPU with a Dell DA-2.

@aldwinjimenez The "all in one cable" you linked is not made anymore!

You will need:

- 90 degree 6-Pin PCIe

- 6-Pin PCIe y-cable

- barrel plug with screw terminal

Nice! Thanks sir. So there's one extra 6 pin connector? ill just leave it dangling?

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2015 13" MBP + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2(AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [tranj10]