7970m into my m15x....help regarding the 7970m mhz fluctuating

I've been trying to test out this card on Battlefield 4.... it runs anywhere from 100+ fps on medium settings, to 30fps during performance drop situations. While looking at MSI Afterburner i noticed the card would go from 850mhz base clock/1200mhz memory clock, to 450mhz for one or two seconds and then jump back up to 1200mhz again afterwards. During this dips and spikes is when my fps would go way down. Is this because i need to undervolt the card as perhaps the Cpu is hogging power from it or something? I read Slv7 saying something about the m15x motherboard circuits distributing power the wrong way or something like that. I am wondering if i should undervolt the card so that it will not battle with the cpu over power, if that is the reason for the spikes and dips, and how i would do that.

I installed and played neverwinter nights 2 yesterday and for some reason that game seems more demanding than bf4.

I have an i7940xm cpu, and a 7970m gpu that came out of a dell m17x. Catalyst 14.12, and on highs a gpu temp that can reach 80c, and a cpu temp that also can reach 80c. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.