M18X R2 GTX 980m and Windows 10

Hey folks, I have a GTX 980M in my 18x and I wanted to do my upgrade for windows 10. The upgrade utility told me that my GPU is incompatible with the upgrade. I have a custom unlocked bios from PREMA as well. What needs to be done in order for me to secure my upgrade? Thank you in advance.

I suggest you stay with what ever Windows version you have 7 or 8.

Windows 10 are still in progress no wonder why they dont support your GPU.

Dont be rash to update to 10.

:62:

• 4 weeks later...
Hey folks, I have a GTX 980M in my 18x and I wanted to do my upgrade for windows 10. The upgrade utility told me that my GPU is incompatible with the upgrade. I have a custom unlocked bios from PREMA as well. What needs to be done in order for me to secure my upgrade? Thank you in advance.

Alienware 18 + Windows 10 + NVIDIA = Bad Combination. I will recommend you wait.

I would have to agree I was preparing my m18x r1 to go to Windows 10 but after the update I got 8 beeps. I get 8 beeps with my gpu installed or trying on IGFX only. So it fried my LCD screen so there went another $250 and hopefully my 780m is ok. Even though you have a m18 i would wait till it gets all sorted out or it could get very expensive if you dont have a warranty

Check out this thread for more info *** Windows 10 Upgrade Warning for Alienware Owners *** | Page 58 | NotebookReview

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

@haXBOXpro

I just upgraded to win 10 using J95's modded drivers.  These ones to be exact.  GeForce 364.72 Win10  and  nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

The way I did it was:

-Uninstall gpu drivers via device manager and disabled

-flashed prema v2 bios

-upgraded via windows update

-installed  GeForce 364.72 Win10  and  nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

You can find detailed instructions from J95 here (last post):

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4906-alienware-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf/&page=46

Everything worked great at that point, but I wanted to start with a clean install, so I went ahead and formatted via USB win10 installation.  

Installed all the drivers from the Dell support site for win8.1 and  reinstalled GPU drivers mentioned above.

I've played a few games for 20+ minutes and have 0 throttling. 

Hope it works for you!

Specs:

Alienware M18x R2

GPU: 980m SLI

CPU: 3920xm

RAM: 32gb

SSD: Sandisk Extreme Pro

Edited by Gor3

• 2 weeks later...

Ive windows 10 on my m18x with dual 980m and the latest drivers. It works well for the most part tho its been a bit twitchy with 10. Suffered OS failures a lil while back but eventually it stopped with the latest drivers. Only occasionally burps on startup tho a simple restart gets it back to normal.

On 4/18/2016 at 7:07 PM, ArcticSoldier said:

i would like to also know if win10 is still bricking m18xR2

its time to format and would like to try out the win10 free upgrade

As I stated above. I'm currently running Win 10 and newest drivers using 980m SLI and have no problems whatsoever. Not one BSOD and crash. EVERYTHING works.

Let me know if you need any help getting yours to work.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2016 at 1:07 AM, Gor3 said:

@haXBOXpro

I just upgraded to win 10 using J95's modded drivers.  These ones to be exact.  GeForce 364.72 Win10  and  nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

The way I did it was:

-Uninstall gpu drivers via device manager and disabled

-flashed prema v2 bios

-upgraded via windows update

-installed  GeForce 364.72 Win10  and  nv_dispi.inf_v364.72_Win10_PEG_Dedicated.zip

You can find detailed instructions from J95 here (last post):

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4906-alienware-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf/&page=46

Everything worked great at that point, but I wanted to start with a clean install, so I went ahead and formatted via USB win10 installation.  

Installed all the drivers from the Dell support site for win8.1 and  reinstalled GPU drivers mentioned above.

I've played a few games for 20+ minutes and have 0 throttling. 

Hope it works for you!

Specs:

Alienware M18x R2

GPU: 980m SLI

CPU: 3920xm

RAM: 32gb

SSD: Sandisk Extreme Pro

Thanks for the info.  I need to get my posts up to download the inf file and use my new gpu.

• 1 month later...

@ArcticSoldier I only had it installed for a week on my M18X R2 with dual 980m SLI, but I did get about 40 hours of Fallout 4 in. Ran fine for me, Back on windows 7 now with @Swick1981's Modified BIOS. Note, all my benchmarking scores where about 1k less on windows 10, Highly recommend staying on Windows 7 IMHO

• Thumbs Up 2

• 10 months later...
  • Bios Modder
7 hours ago, b-tzu said:

Hello ! 

880M was working well on Windows 7 with modified driver, but on Windows 10, I can't get it working ! 

Have some idea ? I have swick bios 

Hi!

Post here your screenshot in NVIDIA Inspector.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2017 at 11:51 PM, ♛eQual!zє87♛ said:

GTX980m SLI works great here. Windows 10 Pro x64. Temps are 1.GPU~74°C / 2.GPU~76 °C.

eQualize87

I don't know how you do this !

Whith a single 880M I'm @93°C ! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm planning to upgrade my GPUs soon due to their fairly recent demise. This is my first and only gaming laptop and I've grown quite fond of it. I have two 7970m's inside currently and want to start off by putting a single GTX 980m in since that will already double what my cards could do. I have the m18x r2 and have been reading up in preparation for the upgrade but one issue I have is that I'm already on windows 10. Every topic I've read about this upgrade has people going to windows 10 after their GPU upgrades and I'm wondering if that will be an issue?