Question about my mpcie connector/(s?) Can I use this slot labeled WIMAX?

Samster

Hi everybody!

So I'm kind of confused about which connectors to use on my laptop for attaching an egpu to it. The laptop is a dell n7110 (second gen Sandy Bridge i7 intel hd 3000 no discrete 1 tb hdd), which i know hass a top sided motherboard :grey: but lucky for me i have a bit of dremel experience and am going to cut a small hole at the top to fit the hdmi data cable through. (Yeah i know the laptop can no longer close, but the thing is a massive 17'' notebook with no gpu or anything so pretty much is a desktop(at least for my purposes)) The only problem though is that I seem to have two mpcie connectors on my board, one of which is empty and labeled WLAN and WIMAX. Now I want to put an adapter for the PCIE lane in the slot that looks like an empty mpcie (as shown in photo), but I'm not sure whether I can use that connector so I won't have to use the connector with the wifi card.

Here are the list parts I'm planning on buying:

EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock

EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

GTX 750/TI (Don't know which one I'll decide later)

Laptop PSU 120 Watt (Should be enough for 750 ti right :59: )

If i cannot use the wifi card, I already have a usb wifi card so I should be fine.

Thank You!!!

ALSO pardon the dusty laptop photos *cough* just took this thing out for the first time in over a year. I've just cleaned it.

i69mqa.jpg

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know my M6700's Cellular (similar to WiMax) port is PCIe but it has a whitelist for specifically Dell cellular cards, so I would try another mPCIe device or just try it and see if it works... Also my Latitude's WiMax port doesn't even see the wireless card.

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 7/9/2015 at 9:19 PM, Samster said:

Hi everybody!

So I'm kind of confused about which connectors to use on my laptop for attaching an egpu to it. The laptop is a dell n7110 (second gen Sandy Bridge i7 intel hd 3000 no discrete 1 tb hdd), which i know hass a top sided motherboard :grey: but lucky for me i have a bit of dremel experience and am going to cut a small hole at the top to fit the hdmi data cable through. (Yeah i know the laptop can no longer close, but the thing is a massive 17'' notebook with no gpu or anything so pretty much is a desktop(at least for my purposes)) The only problem though is that I seem to have two mpcie connectors on my board, one of which is empty and labeled WLAN and WIMAX. Now I want to put an adapter for the PCIE lane in the slot that looks like an empty mpcie (as shown in photo), but I'm not sure whether I can use that connector so I won't have to use the connector with the wifi card.

Here are the list parts I'm planning on buying:

EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock

EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock - US$49.99

GTX 750/TI (Don't know which one I'll decide later)

Laptop PSU 120 Watt (Should be enough for 750 ti right :59: )

If i cannot use the wifi card, I already have a usb wifi card so I should be fine.

Thank You!!!

ALSO pardon the dusty laptop photos *cough* just took this thing out for the first time in over a year. I've just cleaned it.

i69mqa.jpg

Hello. I have the same Dell notebook. Did you have success with the eGPU using Wifi's mini-pci-e? My note does not even boot when using that with e-GPU :(. If it worked for you, had you updated the bios or something else? Thank you very much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.