New design

jeffreybaks

There have been many different designs brought to the alienware laptops over the course of its history. From the first designs of the alienware area51-m 5500/776 onto the 7700 clevo, to the M9700 aurora, to the m17x/m15x beginging models and to the new lineup we have today. Does anyone have any idea on what they think wll be the next design of the alienware laptop series? What kinda changes will we see compared to what we have now aesthetically?

Personally I would like to see them stray away from the current muscle car design and focus more onto scifi designs. I would also like to see something much more original then the current media controls.

[h=3][/h]

• Founder

I would like to see a more industrial/refined look with a hint of the current muscle/scifi design. Kinda like a thin sleek MBP with a hint of AW styling and all metal design.

Thats interesting you say industrial. The M9700 aurora was one of my favorites, is that more industrial? It is better to have more air flow and that laptop I think got pritty hot when they started puting core 2 duo's in the m9750.

I like the red m18x alot tho, maybee if I found 5k siting under the couch or something.

Personally I would like to see them stray away from the current muscle car design and focus more onto scifi designs. I would also like to see something much more original then the current media controls.
I would like to see a more industrial/refined look with a hint of the current muscle/scifi design. Kinda like a thin sleek MBP with a hint of AW styling and all metal design.

like perhaps an alienware designed competitor to razer's forthcoming balanced/thin 'blade'?

Edited by vikingrinn

I'd also like more sci-fi-ish design a la Star Trek, or "Orion's laptop" from Chuck series. Maybe not that tacky but more futuristic design, then little things like backlighting going on and off smoothly as you turn on and off the laptop. Also bring back color LEDs for Alien head on the lid (like on R2). Media controls are crap -- get something better. There are TONS of idea in different Winamp or Media Player skins for example. Maybe some design like a Thinkpad but more futuristic.

Otherwise, I hope they dump the crappy BIOS at some point and switch to full graphical high res user interface from the beginning when you turn on the laptop. Get rid of the damn "DOS mode" during boot, it looks like shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

I really like them. They're not comparable to other brands, the only thing I'd love to see is more Aluminum in the cases. An aluminum M14x, or a front plate, or something. Maybe someone will come out with a custom M14x case mod for purchase.. Mmmm engraved aluminum *drool*

You know MLAX or MLX or whichever was the really large one from years ago was ALX anyway that one had a awesome surface to it on its cover made it really Alien like cant we see some of those out of this world designs again. Maybe thats what you meant above on the skull cap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the current design line is just fine and I'd like Dell to keep it. It's slick and simple enough to be truly aesthetic and IMO it's the best what AW has come so far over the years. It's not too flashy/childish, yet still deeply matt black and uncommonly interesting enough to stand out and become AW classic, so to say. I am glad AW is after 'clean' display assemblies just with a lit up head and so on. I really don't like things overdone and the skullcap design always seemed so.

The question here would be much more if we want to see more 'varieties' of Alienware hardware. A slim yet still similarly looking ultrabook would be nice for instance, not really for gaming/performance, but for matching looks. I'd buy it.

BTW, those Razers are crap. Their hardware/performance is nowhere near what a gaming machine should offer (especially vs the price they ask for this thing). IMO they are trying to lure customers with over-fancied elements like that touch screen (how is this useful? it isn't at all, it just looks fancy enough for some kids to buy it) and limited number of units offered (to render the thing 'elite' enough). The most attractive thing about Blade is that is both deeply black and thin, but as said, an AW a'la-ultrabook would be much more interesting providing the same.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like them. They're not comparable to other brands, the only thing I'd love to see is more Aluminum in the cases. An aluminum M14x, or a front plate, or something. Maybe someone will come out with a custom M14x case mod for purchase.. Mmmm engraved aluminum *drool*

That would make m14x much heavier, perhaps too heavy for easy portability at this size. What I would rather have them to do is to introduce graphite display assembly. The current plastic one is IMO too flexible.

I've got the best idea ever! What if the next Alienware would be circular och triangular shaped? Would'nt that be a nice twist huh?

Haha green and circular in the shape of an alien's head? I'm hoping for a new design, since not much has changed since the m17x r1 generation. Also I hope they will offer a matte screen option, bring back the m15x, and make the m17x aluminum again...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The current material for the M14x gets annoying visible fingerprints too easily ... should use Gloss like the M15x

Word.

I'm cleaning my M14x almost every day. =/

I already got used to it, since i have to clean my ipad as well, but is annoying always to be cautious about fingerprints.

• 2 months later...

I love everything about the new design except the thickness of the screen bezel. Heck, I'd opt for an even sleeker design if they wanted to make one. Super flat lid with an ultra-thin bezel, super sleek metallic frame. Like the macbook of alienware's lol. A Razer without the stupid accesory keyboard and overheating. etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have the new Alienware 18 and am really enthusiastic about it. Only the volume up and volume down bar to make etc. I miss.

Of the materials here, Dell has made ​​a good choice

greeting

• 3 weeks later...

The new AW 18 rocks! I find the sturdy design and lighting very appealing. Also, the performance, even at stock is impressive. I am look forward to a BIOS update to push the processor to 4.5 or higher. Overall, I am satisfied the system and can wait to push it the extreme with a VBIOS AND BIOS update.

Agree with BlackJack above. Happy with my M18, except perhaps the hit and miss of using USB 3.0. Also, had to give up trying to create an AlienRespawn backup using 3.0 USB stick and instead get a 2.0.

The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is also higher as it runs a lot more quieter when idling than my old R1.