y510p lenovo disabling ultrabay or second gpu

• 2 weeks later...

You could try it with a flashed bios, but it may be that only two graphic cards are supported during power consumption I tried to power up my y500 with both sli cards installed and a third external gpu and it instantly shutdown. The power consumption is about 150 watts for graphic cards and processor together not couting fans, other components and loss energy, so the charger its already very busy with its 170 Watts it is able to generate.

I believe it defaults to the HD Graphics, then once in Windows it will automatically switch to what you need. The SLI should not kick in until the integrated NVidia is running.

On Linux it depends on the driver, I know I have issues with battery drain because the linux driver does not support the autoswitching, I am thinking I may disable the driver and see if that solves the issue.

What is driving the need to boot with HD graphics only?

disable sli. remove ultrabay card. boot to windows. install intell driver. now you will have hd4600 video card from intel.... go to settings to be sure its runs all the time ... not the auto mode .... now you will have another hour for battery operated use ....

good luck.