14" Lenovo Y410P Ideapad + GTX970@4Gbps+c-mPCIe2 (PE4C 2.1) + Win8.1

hydrocell

I am curious about the drivers issue, I never got the 750m working under the same driver as the 970. I did a small case mod to my laptop to maintain portability. Basically, the HDMI cable comes out underneath the right USB port. I will upload pictures if anybody is interested.

What steps you do to make it portable?, for example: changing things on bios, reinstalling drivers, etc...

I ask because I want to know, if it worth the trouble aside of performance gain but portability also.

My only portability changes were physical, not software. I am not home right now, and don't want to mess too much with the drivers right now, as I could end up without a usable system if I screwed. I will try some experimentation this Saturday to see if I can use the two 750ms and the egpu without much fussing.

I got the 750s working with little fuss. Will write up a tutorial later if there is interest, but currently the only side effect is needing to remove the second 750m before booting with the egpu. Appears to be quite easily done, just need to reboot each time you swap from sli and egpu configurations.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I am curious about the drivers issue, I never got the 750m working under the same driver as the 970. I did a small case mod to my laptop to maintain portability. Basically, the HDMI cable comes out underneath the right USB port. I will upload pictures if anybody is interested.

Hey I'm interested can you pics please.

Also anyone here with egpu plays planetside 2?, this game is very cpu intesive or other cpu intesive games because I feel like this i7 is still strong enough to handle them but 750m sli isn't.

I got the 750s working with little fuss. Will write up a tutorial later if there is interest, but currently the only side effect is needing to remove the second 750m before booting with the egpu. Appears to be quite easily done, just need to reboot each time you swap from sli and egpu configurations.

Can you share instructions please, I doing this with y510p sli!! Thanks.

Can you share instructions please, I doing this with y510p sli!! Thanks.

I haven't been able to get my internal cards working again, mostly due to being busy with school right now. I believe I went through the process of setting up the egpu, then rebooted with the internal graphics card re enabled in bios with an external display connected to external card. I didn't do any benchmark to see if it was a display error in device manager, but I do remember seeing at some point both 750ms and my external 970 listed there. Sorry I can not be of more help, but I don't have time to figure out what I did exactly at this point.

I haven't been able to get my internal cards working again, mostly due to being busy with school right now. I believe I went through the process of setting up the egpu, then rebooted with the internal graphics card re enabled in bios with an external display connected to external card. I didn't do any benchmark to see if it was a display error in device manager, but I do remember seeing at some point both 750ms and my external 970 listed there. Sorry I can not be of more help, but I don't have time to figure out what I did exactly at this point.

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2015/8/11 at 5:32 AM, snekiam said:

Hi bro, I'm very interested, I want to do a e-gpu setup but I don't want my back cover open all the time. Can you upload pics? Thx

On 2015/12/18 at 10:51 AM, EgT said:

Can someone help me, because I can't get my egpu work with internal screen.

On Bios changed I've as same as someone posted, Do I need special drivers?

Pd. y510p here, slv7 bios mod.

Y510p owner too, and I succeed using internal screen and extern screen.

Didn't do anything special, just slv7 bios mod -> disable dGPU(no need to uninstall driver) in Device Manager-> set display to UMA only in BIOS -> plug in exp-gdc and GTX970 -> install official driver

and everything works well, internal screen and extern screen all good.

What graphics card are you dealing with? If you are using internal screen only , you must have iGPU in your PC and use N card GT4** or higher

Can someone help me, because I can't get my egpu work with internal screen.

On Bios changed I've as same as someone posted, Do I need special drivers?

Pd. y510p here, slv7 bios mod.

Y510p owner too, and I succeed using internal screen and extern screen.

Didn't do anything special, just slv7 bios mod -> disable dGPU(no need to uninstall driver) in Device Manager-> set display to UMA only in BIOS -> plug in exp-gdc and GTX970 -> install official driver

and everything works well, internal screen and extern screen all good.

What graphics card are you dealing with? If you are using internal screen only , you must have iGPU in your PC and use N card GT4** or higher

A gtx 970 with the y510p windows 10, but just works with external display. Maybe is becuase of windows 10?

A gtx 970 with the y510p windows 10, but just works with external display. Maybe is becuase of windows 10?

Probably, I'm using Windows 8.1

I've changed to Windows 8.1 and it worked with internal screen. I couldn't get it to work with Windows 10.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Are your fps limited to 48? because all games I've tried won't go beyond that.

Please can someone confirm that your fps aren't limited on internal screen? So I know if I'm not the only one with this problem.

PD. Specs: y510p i7 and gtx 970.

18 minutes ago, EgT said:

Please can someone confirm that your fps aren't limited on internal screen? So I know if I'm not the only one with this problem.

PD. Specs: y510p i7 and gtx 970.

18 minutes ago, EgT said:

Your 3dmark06 result is showing 48fps (average). This does not mean your lcd is limited to that. 

The more informative request would be for a y410 owner to provide 3dmark06 results. Then can deduce if they too are below what's expected due to x1 pcie compression not engaging for some (as yet) unknown reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone try a Radeon card on their y410p? I would like the cheaper card with more performance. Does optimus still work or does it not really matter since the laptop is basically a desktop now?

• 2 months later...

I just did the modded bios and hooked up a gtx970 to my lenovo y410p with a pe4c,I disabled and uninstalled gt 755m and when i go to install the drivers for the gtx970 everything seems to work fine for a short time then out of nowhere the gt755m somehow enables itself installs its own drivers then overrides the gtx970 to point that gtx970 no longer shows as gtx970 in device manager under display adapters,then when i go through process to get gtx970 back working again and diable and uninstall gt755m same things happens again.I followed the 10minute video with what to keep and change in the bios.Hopefully i wont have to take the gt755m out of my laptop cause there maybe times i wont feel like hooking everything up like when my 4yr old daughter wants to play games on the computer.Any advice be very appreciated and thanks in advance.