Lenovo y510p and SLI

Hi, i have recently bought a Lenovo Y510p that has the SLI feature.

So, my question is, does it (SLI) really worth the price (of buying another gpu on ultrabay)? Because i read (googled it) a lots of heat issues.

What do you (all fo you) think about that?

Well, for example. In same price u can get GT650 SLI or gtx660. If game is supported well by SLI configuration, u will get better results from GT650SLI. But there is question: is game supported by SLI? New games like Witcher 3 or GTA 5 are well supported by SLI, but there are some games that still not support by SLI like PlanetSide 2 which means, this game will use only one GT650. And here appears heat problem. If u have 2 cards working in one game its perfect, cause each card has it own cooling system. But if u will use only one card, it will overheat.

What's your definition of worth? Are you playing any particular games where the framerate isn't playable/fun? How much heat/hassle/cost you're willing to deal with depends on what you're looking to do with it.

Definitely another 755m. Graphic cards has coolers in it by itself. I dont know do coolers in ultrabays even exists and if they do, will it cool your main graphic card properly, cause ultrabay is located right next to main card, not ON or UNDER.

It will be hot, sure. But the second card really does noticeably improve performance in graphics intense games. You can disable SLI when not gaming, and your heat should be (about) the same as it was before. Only caveat, you ABSOLUTELY NEED to be plugged in while gaming with this computer. Battery life isn't the main issue, it is the awful lenovo software that forcibly underclocks the GPUs to 135mhz on battery, making them unusable.

Hi, I have quite similar model Y500 with nvidia 650m SLI. I have to say that ultrabay slot is rly cool and the second graphic card is priceless.

I have both overclocked just for 135mhz (with locked bios) and without cooling pad with maximum load i am around 80°C.

If you are looking forward to buying an Ultrabay GT755M, I would suggest rethinking the whole scenario, money wise. I have already spent enough on my Y510P, plus the SLI card, for it to equal the cost of a better system (Always go Single Card if the single card is equal to or better than a comparable SLI arrangement). The money that I spent on my rig (Y510P, GT755M SLI) could have gotten me an Alienware with the GTX 960M (performance on par with GT755M SLI as far as I know). Do not waste money because the sellers out there put the prices sky high (about 300-500USD). It is a pretty sick gaming solution, i can play 2013-2014 games on High-Medium settings fluently, but the kingdom falls down and crumbles when you have to get a 170Watt adapter plus the card.

Plus more than half of the Power supplies out there, rated at 170Watts are chinese knockoffs. If you are lucky you can find a 170Watt adapter for this on lenovo.com, for 30USD, but then also, money is not being spent well.

Regards

I have the y500 and it works great for me an the gt750m/ gt755m is way better than the gt650m but you also may take a look at the y50/y70 ;) these are "only" single gpu units, but this could be an advance.

For the cooling i am able to say that it did not got too hot since I use it and in this time it got up to 86 dergees fahrenheit (30 degrees celsius) room temperature.

i got the y510p, i'd like to know if there is some kind of procedure to make it not freeze on games like cs:go, after freezing the gpu clock looses memory and the game starts getting huge fps drops thus i have to restart the SLI in order for it to work normally again

• 4 weeks later...

kalpoas,

I would suggest completely reinstalling the Geforce Drivers. I really have not experienced any kind of crashes whatsoever with my y510 gt755m SLI setup.

I stop my i5 CPU from throttling using ThrottleStop, as it underclocks to 2.5Ghz once the temperatures go up. This throttle causes my games to stutter and drop the FPS. This doesnt happen if i begin playing at a lower speed too. It will only give you trouble if its in-game when the throttle takes place.

For a clean setup, go into Safe Mode in windows and uninstall your Geforce Drivers with the Ultrabay disconnected. To boot into Safe Mode in windows 8.1, open the Start screen using the Windows Button, press and hold shift, and click on Power> Restart. It would say Please Wait, if it goes the right way. If not, restart and Try again. After going into Safe Mode (we go into safe mode because the driver isnt loaded then) go into the Control Panel and Uninstall the drivers and anything related to Nvidia. You can also use a Driver Cleaner. I cannot suggest one but i am sure you can find "which one" here on the forums. use the Search Button. The cleaner, the better, so really try cleaning the driver using a Driver Sweeper too. Both in Normal and Safe Mode.

Regards

• 1 month later...

I have the lenovo Y500, and recently bough the 650m sli upgrade. I have to say it is amazing. I play CS:GO competitively, and 1 650m (even overclocked) on 1080p wasn't cutting it. Now with the 2 650m's not overclocked CS runs amazing (100-200fps) and the cards are at ~65-60 C. In my opinion I would say it is totally worth it. I was also able to run bf3 at 50-80fps on ultra settings no AA 1080p, not overclocked.