2011 13" Macbook pro + GTX660@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win 8.1 [danielbrown941]

Hi all, this post is a placeholder where I will detail the system & set-up I built and took with me to Dreamhack Summer 2015 in Sweden.

A picture of it set-up:

post-35556-14495000362863_thumb.jpg

WIP:

Hardware

• Purchase AKiTiO enclosure, GPU (I re-used a desktop one), PSU, male/female molex cable & solderless DC power connector. Find a metal paperclip
  • Open up AKiTiO enclosure and remove PCIE board using a small screwdriver.
  • Use the paper clip trick in the 20/24 PIN PSU motherboard connector to enable PSU to turn on. NOTE: The below image is for my PSU, this is the usual configuration, but I would strongly recommend you refer to the manual that comes with the PSU to ensure you are grounding the correct PINOUT.

post-35556-14495000370904_thumb.jpg

Custom "Enclosure"

For my trip to Sweden (I live in the UK so flew with this), I purchased an aluminium carry case to roughly match the dimensions I needed. The case came with pre-perforated foam inside and made it incredible easy to 'create' suitable sizes of foam to secure all the components for the flight. This particular GPU fits snugly inside the case with just enough space for the thunderbolt cable.

post-35556-14495000369712_thumb.jpg

(dimensions of all components to be added)

PSU - 125mm x 10mm x H 65mm (excluding cables, modular power supply, or the 220W Dell power adapter mod would work best to replace mine)

GPU - 255mm x 125mm x H ~35mm (70mm instead of 35mm when attached to the PCIE board)

Case - External - 330mm x 290mm x H 135mm

- Intermal - 310mm x 250mm x 85mm

The GPU was "mounted" on some angled cardboard as everything didn't quite fit, I would guess an angle also helps with the air-flow around the GPU.

The case went neatly in a carry-on bag for my flight (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) with room for my MBP in the front

(pictures to be attached)

For anybody interested, leaving the UK they did search the case, so if you plan to fly with this build in some extra time!

Software -Windows 8.1 Installation

1. Install Windows 8.1 using EFI by following this guide. I opted to wipe all files and have yet to re-install OSX in a separate partition ----------------------- PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PART. I wasted at least 5 hours as the bootcamp Apple provide for this age of Macbook is not EFI-enabled and I didn't follow other guides properly!
  2. Shut down laptop.
  3. Plug eGPU into Macbook & turn on the PSU
  4. Turn on Macbook & boot into Windows. Check device manager to see two items under 'Display Adapters'.
  5. Download latest nVidia drivers for your GPU from nVidia's driver page here
  6. Restart Macbook & boot into Windows.
  7. Check Device Manager and you should see the name of your GPU under display adapters:
  8. If all goes well and you installed native EFI, Optimus should work every time you boot. You will also likely find your sound drivers for the internal speakers no longer work.
  9. If you are unsure if Optimus is working, follow this guide which will should an icon in the taskbar, when hovered it will say what is using the dedicated graphics card. To ensure all apps would use the eGPU, I changed the global setting in the nVidia configuration program to run with the dedicated card.

post-35556-14495000363247_thumb.jpg

post-35556-14495000366189_thumb.jpg

post-35556-14495000367436_thumb.jpg

post-35556-14495000368553_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

How did they react at airport security when they opened it? When my build is done it will likely be making many flights with me :)

Hey Luke, when they opened it they just moved all the foam out of the way as it was completely covering all the components, then asked me if it was just computer components and I said yes :P Once they realised thats all it was, I was fine to move on, just a little annoyed at how long it took them to search people's stuff infront of me.

They swabbed inside my case & the laptop, presumably for illegal substances but I believe that's standard practice if they search anything :)

Also, it wasn't opened going from Sweden > UK, so I guess they realised from the scanner that it was only computer components :)

Funny idea ^^

Could you make a detail shot of the parts inside the case? You used them from inside the open case, right?

Guess UK and US are a little bit strict when it comes to Airport security :D

Funny idea ^^

Could you make a detail shot of the parts inside the case? You used them from inside the open case, right?

Sure, I'll take a bunch of shots of the componenets, with and without the foam and take some accurate dimensions of all the components used. Will have to wait till tonight though as am at work now :)

Would you like me to run any benchmarks at all?

Funny idea ^^

Yes I used the components just with the lid open on the case :)

Added some details shot for you, let me know if you want any other angles etc

@danielbrown941, would you mind running 3dmark11 and 3dmark13 benchmarks on an external LCD and linking the results on your opening post?

The results will mean I can add you in the appropriate place in the leaderboard at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#dx11