[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

I uninstalled everything again and ran it consecutively at home.  I am using the Akitio Thunder 2 box, the NVIDIA GTX 750ti, and a 500W psu. The laptop is connected via HDMI to my 40" television from the eGPU.  System Report still states my eGPU as an NVIDIA Chip Model on a PCIe bus.  The television is not receiving any signal whatsoever.  The Display settings do not detect another screen. Here is the install I did through Terminal.  

Last login: Tue Jan 26 19:51:35 on console

USER-MacBook-Air:~ USER$ cd ~/Desktop

USER-MacBook-Air:Desktop USER$ chmod +x automate-eGPU.sh

USER-MacBook-Air:Desktop USER$ sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -uninstall

Password:

Background services unloaded.

Automate-eGPU uninstall ready.

USER-MacBook-Air:Desktop USER$

[Restored Jan 26, 2016, 7:54:58 PM]

Last login: Tue Jan 26 19:54:56 on console

Restored session: Tue Jan 26 19:53:57 PST 2016

USER-MacBook-Air:Desktop USER$ chmod +x automate-eGPU.sh

USER-MacBook-Air:Desktop USER$ sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh

Password:

*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.8 - (c) 2015 by Goalque ***

-------------------------------------------------------

Detected eGPU

GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]

Current OS X

10.11.3 15D21

Previous OS X

10.11.2 15C50

Latest installed Nvidia web driver

Version: 346.03.05f01

Source: 3rd Party

Install Date: 1/26/16, 4:30 PM

You are running official Nvidia driver.

Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.

Mac board-id not found.

Searching for matching driver...

Driver [346.03.05f01] found from:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.05f01/WebDriver-346.03

.05f01.pkg

Do you want to download this driver (y/n)?

y

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current

Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

100 69.2M 100 69.2M 0 0 3332k 0 0:00:21 0:00:21 --:--:-- 3194k

Driver downloaded.

Removing validation checks...

Modified package ready. Do you want to install (y/n)?

y

installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.05f01

installer: Upgrading at base path /

installer: The upgrade was successful.

installer: The install requires restarting now.

Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.

IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.

Board-id added.

All ready. Please restart the Mac.

[Restored Jan 26, 2016, 8:07:06 PM]

Last login: Tue Jan 26 20:07:04 on console

Restored session: Tue Jan 26 19:57:21 PST 2016

USER-MacBook-Air:Desktop USER$ sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a

Password:

automate-eGPU-daemon launched.

Background services enabled.

[Restored Jan 26, 2016, 8:08:39 PM]

Last login: Tue Jan 26 20:08:37 on console

Restored session: Tue Jan 26 20:08:03 PST 2016

Edited by viniguez

@viniguez

Everything looks good. My GTX 750 Ti works on 10.11.3. You haven't touch any kext files manually and FileVault is turned off?

The best commands for troubleshooting:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7989-script-automating-the-installation-of-egpu-on-os-x-inc-display-output/&page=12#comment-130567

FileVault is off but I did edit a kext file a couple of months ago.  Specifically a kext called osx-pl2303.kext in order to control a telescope mount from my computer using an RS-232 to USB adapter.  I still have the file that I used and I implemented it using kextdrop. Does this mean I will have to do a clean install of OS X? :( I tried the first line in Terminal and it didn't do anything after I hit enter.   The second kext command returned this:

USER-Air:~ USER$ kextstat -l | grep NVDA

131    2 0xffffff7f80f04000 0x2e4000   0x2e4000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAResmanWeb (10.0.9) 5E633570-243D-3CBA-92AC-77A33DF8CF05 <102 98 94 12 7 5 4 3 1>

140    0 0xffffff7f811f7000 0x1ff000   0x1ff000   com.nvidia.web.NVDAGM100HalWeb (10.0.9) D3E0FD94-828C-3FCD-967D-6378BE9D9DF2 <131 12 4 3>

Damn.  Well, I will have to begin to copy over my stuff to my back up drive and perform a clean install.  But just to clarify, restoring from a recent back up won't fix the kext issue, correct? Thanks again for all your help! Wife is leaving to visit a family member for a week so I definitely want to get this working in order to play Rust!

Edited by viniguez

1 hour ago, viniguez said:

Damn.  Well, I will have to begin to copy over my stuff to my back up drive and perform a clean install.  But just to clarify, restoring from a recent back up won't fix the kext issue, correct? Thanks again for all your help! Wife and kids are leaving to visit a family member for a week so I definitely want to get this working in order to play Rust!

It’s very strange that the syslog didn’t output any NVDA related row. According to kextstat, correct kexts are loaded. There should be at least one occurrence of these:

Driver "NVDAStartup" needs "IOPCITunnelCompatible" key in plist
NVDAStartupWeb: Web
NVDAGM100HAL loaded and registered

You can also open a Console and search from there.

As if a IOPCITunnelCompatible key existed in NVDAStartup.kext. It shouldn’t be there.

A normal reinstall from OS X Recovery (Command+R) may help. Your personal files won’t be deleted, but backing up files is always a good idea. The last option is to erase the disk.

Hi goalque, i was install the GTX 950 + DELL DA-2 + Akitio Thunder2 successfully, but the performance is kind of slow, it should not be that slow. it might be the PSU ? or the driver problem ?

i was run your script, and do anything correctly , i can see my GTX model show in the about my mac. i have no idea why that slow. Can you help ? Thanks ~~

Well, I seem to be having another issue. My external monitor is sluggish and the mouse scrolling is too.  I have the monitors mirrored right now with the macbook lid closed.  But even when I don't have them mirrored the external monitor is still sluggish. Also, I can hear the internal fan on the macbook on while I play video games.  So I'm not sure if the iGPU is bogging down the system or having to power both monitors is doing that as well.  Any suggestions? I already uninstalled and reinstalled the script with -a and performed all the restarts.

Thanks!

18 minutes ago, viniguez said:

Well, I seem to be having another issue. My external monitor is sluggish and the mouse scrolling is too.  I have the monitors mirrored right now with the macbook lid closed.  But even when I don't have them mirrored the external monitor is still sluggish. Also, I can hear the internal fan on the macbook on while I play video games.  So I'm not sure if the iGPU is bogging down the system or having to power both monitors is doing that as well.  Any suggestions? I already uninstalled and reinstalled the script with -a and performed all the restarts.

Thanks!

I think we have the same issue, even i move the menu bar to the  external monitor , no mirrored the monitor it show the same problem , the mouse is  sluggish too, dont even can play game.

9 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

The monitors are connected to the eGPU and not to the MacBook or TB ports?

Haven't really used it in OSX, but benchmarks like Ungine Valley did fine.

monitor are connected to the eGPU, then eGPU connect with Mac over TB.

benchmark scores is better than the on-board Intel HD graphic card, but the scores still very low.

42 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Benchmarks are running fine for me, but I must admit in OSX the desktop performance is indeed a bit sluggish… huh.

This is a known issue on OS X El Capitan. Disable the internal screen and the problem is gone.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8880-perfomance-boost-when-disabling-internal-monitor/
https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8611-ui-lag-on-external-monitors-after-el-capitan-update/

@hitsilent I can't help if you don't answer to my questions.

Edited by goalque
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, goalque said:

This is a known issue on OS X El Capitan. Disable the internal screen and the problem is gone.

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8880-perfomance-boost-when-disabling-internal-monitor/
https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/8611-ui-lag-on-external-monitors-after-el-capitan-update/

@hitsilent I can't help if you don't answer to my questions.

sorry i didn't pay attention your reply, 

23 hours ago, goalque said:

@hitsilent

A screenshot of OS X 10.11? So you didn’t follow the update procedure that I described? The GTX 950 is supported on OS X 10.11.3. The script will take care of matching the correct web driver.

i did follow your description, is that mean i have to update to OS X 10.11.3 to support my GTX 950 ?

15 minutes ago, hitsilent said:

sorry i didn't pay attention your reply, 

i did follow your description, is that mean i have to update to OS X 10.11.3 to support my GTX 950 ?

Yep. The GTX 950 was launched just before OS X 10.11, that’s why OS X 10.11.3 and the latest web driver is recommended. The web driver is bound to OS X version.

2 hours ago, viniguez said:

"turned off" internal  monitor by not mirroring screens, making external the primary by moving the menu bar over the top of the external screen, and then closing the laptop lid.  Now everything is moving fast as hell.  Thanks again!

@goalque

I was follow Viniguez how he solve the issue, and update the OS X to 10.11.3, and download the Xbench run the Quart Graphics Test, it scores 220+, and download the DisableMonitor for Github, disable the internal monitor and close the laptop lib, but still same thing mouse sluggish when i playing game. 

I was feeling Depression, i was working for the EGPU for 2 weeks. still not make it work  :(, i dont want to give it up.

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 5.28.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 5.26.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 5.28.04 PM.png

Edited by hitsilent