[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

On 1/13/2017 at 2:00 PM, pokerman837 said:

how did you get amd discrete graphics work with your egpu? (i saw your signature at the end with it XD)

I'm just a graphic designer. I asked around and the people who make eGPU told me it's ok and then I bought my graphic card and other tools to make my eGPU. It wasn't so easy to make one, but with help I did. I have to mention that it's a little bit annoying when you need to change your resolution of your screen and a little bit for speed. but the speed of my eGPU 10 times faster than my AMD card.   :geek:

On 16/01/2017 at 4:22 AM, shirazigs said:

I'm just a graphic designer. I asked around and the people who make eGPU told me it's ok and then I bought my graphic card and other tools to make my eGPU. It wasn't so easy to make one, but with help I did. I have to mention that it's a little bit annoying when you need to change your resolution of your screen and a little bit for speed. but the speed of my eGPU 10 times faster than my AMD card.   :geek:

yeah but all of the posts i find tell me that it's not compatible with it, and then you come here with it working, how? do i have to deactivate the amd?

On 14/01/2017 at 11:40 AM, ti_padawan said:

@pokerman837

There are no OS X drivers for NVidia 1000 series cards yet and I reckon they will still take quite some time...

i can see, this is going to be a little bit annoying to be waiting, when i went into nvidia website they had a CUDA driver for mac, let's say it doesn't work with it (which it doesn't seem), is the CUDA driver not the correct one and just a old one? because when i go to system information> graphics/displays it does recognize that there is a card, but it calls it display, and it says no kext loaded...at this point i have no idea what to do. I'm guessing that i need some sort of kernel extension to use it?

edit: when i run the script this appears, if it's interesting:

Detected eGPU

GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB]

Current OS X

10.12.2 16C67

Previous OS X

10.11.6 15G31

Latest installed Nvidia web driver

Version: 367.15.10.25f01

Source: 3rd Party

Install Date: 1/13/17, 7:31 PM

Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

IOPCITunnelCompatible mods are valid.

Mac board-id found.

Searching for matching driver...

Your system is eGPU enabled and Nvidia web driver is up to date.

Edited by pokerman837

9 hours ago, pokerman837 said:

i can see, this is going to be a little bit annoying to be waiting, when i went into nvidia website they had a CUDA driver for mac, let's say it doesn't work with it (which it doesn't seem), is the CUDA driver not the correct one and just a old one? because when i go to system information> graphics/displays it does recognize that there is a card, but it calls it display, and it says no kext loaded...at this point i have no idea what to do. I'm guessing that i need some sort of kernel extension to use it?

Detected eGPU

Current OS X

10.12.2 16C67

Previous OS X

10.11.6 15G31

Source: 3rd Party

Install Date: 1/13/17, 7:31 PM

IOPCITunnelCompatible mods are valid.

Mac board-id found.

Searching for matching driver...

Your system is eGPU enabled and Nvidia web driver is up to date.

I think I found the problem, let me fix that. The "AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB" belongs to my iMac. I didn't make an eGPU with two graphic cards and my GTX 980 Ti works with only with my second monitor. Also, like other guys here, I'm waiting for new CUDA driver. 

11 hours ago, pokerman837 said:

Detected eGPU

Current OS X

10.12.2 16C67

Previous OS X

10.11.6 15G31

What you need is an appropriate web driver that would enable the system to use the card to accelerate the video output. But like I said, such web driver has not been "released" (developed?) yet and it will probably take a long time still, if there's ever going to be one... Chance for you to solve this problem on your own is like 1 in a million - basically none :). What you can do is install another system on your Mac - a display driver has been released for both Windows and Linux.

On the contrary, CUDA driver for macOS and pascal cards is released and working. But I don't know if CUDA is going to work without the web driver...

10 hours ago, ti_padawan said:

What you need is an appropriate web driver that would enable the system to use the card to accelerate the video output. But like I said, such web driver has not been "released" (developed?) yet and it will probably take a long time still, if there's ever going to be one... Chance for you to solve this problem on your own is like 1 in a million - basically none :). What you can do is install another system on your Mac - a display driver has been released for both Windows and Linux.

On the contrary, CUDA driver for macOS and pascal cards is released and working. But I don't know if CUDA is going to work without the web driver...

i saw a video where someone uses a 1070 on a macbook, explain that,

internet:1 you:0

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvdfkdu08PY

On 19. 1. 2017 at 9:16 PM, pokerman837 said:

i saw a video where someone uses a 1070 on a macbook, explain that,

internet:1 you:0

video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvdfkdu08PY

That benchmark effort has obviously been run on a Windows system installed on a Mac. Now that IS possible and like I said:

On 19. 1. 2017 at 10:28 AM, ti_padawan said:

What you can do is install another system on your Mac - a display driver has been released for both Windows and Linux.

However, I have never seen a way to leverage a Pascal card on macOS yet (in terms of graphics acceleration of course). The followup comment to your question at Youtube sums it up in a way too:

The 1050, 1060, 1070, 1080 and titan currently only works in windows just give it time, If you can't wait goto Macvidcards they have plenty of aftermarket GPU's for the Mac Pro that will work in OS X and windows.

Edited by ti_padawan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am noob regarding all this EGPU stuff and I encountered a problem running macOS 10.12.4 Beta (16E163f), where I tried to get my Akitio Thunder3 (with beefed up DC supply) and MSI V809-2210R RX 460 4 GB running.

The Thunder3 is working and reported in the system report.

When running the script, I get the following output:

***      automate-eGPU.sh v1.0.0      ***

* (c) 2016, 2017 by Goalque & FricoRico *

Detected eGPU

Baffin [Radeon RX 460]

Current OS X

10.12.4 16E163f

Previous OS X

10.12.2 16C67

[not found]

File Doesn't Exist, Will Create: /System/Library/Extensions/AMD9500Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Print: Entry, ":IOKitPersonalities:Controller:IOPCIMatch", Does Not Exist

Parse Error: Unclosed Quotes

Value Required for Set Command

SetIOPCIMatch() appended device ID 0x67ef1002 in /System/Library/Extensions/AMD9500Controller.kext/Contents/Info.plist

IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.

Rebuilding caches...

All ready. Please restart the Mac.

The card is visible in the system report, with the note "no kext loaded" ("Keine Kext geladen"). In the Extensions folder no AMD9500Controller.kext can be found. But there is a AMD9510Controller.kext, which does include the 0x67ed1002 id.

Can you help me?

amd.png

Edited by Rapunzel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

How can I remove the eGPU installation?

Update:

I found it: I have to run the script with the option: -deinstall

Update 2:

Uninstall is not working. I get the message "Backup folder not found for OS X build [16F73]. Your system must be reconfigured. Click OK to execute automate-eGPU."

Edited by Uhlhorn