[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

BTW Nvidia already released drivers for 10.12.2.

The main thing with Nvidia in eGPU after OS update is PATIENCE.

For 10.12.1 16B2655 drivers were available in something like 18hours, for 10.12.1 16B2657 it took one week.

Edited by devild
mistyped

7 hours ago, hosumutas said:

Hello guys. I have Macbook pro 2106 and akitio thunder3. Have or not solution connect this both? Script from thunder2 will be work or not? Thx guys!!! Sorry my English

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the problem just to connect everything and try?!

But don't forget firstly update OS to 10.12.2 and run TB3 enabler - https://github.com/KhaosT/tb3-enabler

If your Thunder3 is old revision (TI82), there shouldn't be any problem.

On 12/14/2016 at 0:28 PM, MVC said:

16B2657 was 10.12.1

Issue is with 10.12.2, and here they are:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/367/WebDriver-367.15.10.25f01.pkg

Turn off the tar heater and put away the feathers.

hi, this is very cool. But for some reason and could not run 970GTX. Maybe there is a solution?

On 12/14/2016 at 0:28 PM, MVC said:

16B2657 was 10.12.1

Issue is with 10.12.2, and here they are:

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/367/WebDriver-367.15.10.25f01.pkg

Turn off the tar heater and put away the feathers.

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011), the system 10.12.2. I had to install a new driver for the external graphics card in the system tray all appear, but after many resets computer don't sees eGPU. Connection – TB-1.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys i'm sorry if my questions is far off BUT i was just chatting with the Nvidia support and i asked them for the drivers support for my macbook early 2011 ( i didn't mention using it externally maybe this was my mistake) but i was told that currently 900 and 10 are not supported with mac and the latest card for mac is the 680. I'm getting a bit confused though now =/ I've seen all these setups with 900 and 10 cards on mac.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Guys i'm sorry if my questions is far off BUT i was just chatting with the Nvidia support and i asked them for the drivers support for my macbook early 2011 ( i didn't mention using it externally maybe this was my mistake) but i was told that currently 900 and 10 are not supported with mac and the latest card for mac is the 680. I'm getting a bit confused though now =/ I've seen all these setups with 900 and 10 cards on mac.

600 series will have native support under OSX (no script mods needed). For the later cards a bit of tweaking is necessary but you won't always get full acceleration under OSX. 10 Series cards are not supported at all under OSX. Pretty much all will work under Win in Bootcamp. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Miller said:

600 series will have native support under OSX (no script mods needed). For the later cards a bit of tweaking is necessary but you won't always get full acceleration under OSX. 10 Series cards are not supported at all under OSX. Pretty much all will work under Win in Bootcamp. 

Hey Miller thank you very much for your reply, this means that if i get a 980ti i can have the drivers from the script right?

Is there a way to know how much of an acceleration i can get? I am not really interested in Win bootcamp actually so that i don't have to look for all my apps again for Win. 

Kinda silly maybe question, the script is getting the drivers illegally?? :)

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

Hey Miller thank you very much for your reply, this means that if i get a 980ti i can have the drivers from the script right?

Is there a way to know how much of an acceleration i can get? I am not really interested in Win bootcamp actually so that i don't have to look for all my apps again for Win. 

Kinda silly maybe question, the script is getting the drivers illegally?? :)

Based on the articles around here, a 980Ti should be safe. The only thing the script does is to 'unlock' the OSX to be able to see your video card. Drivers are pulled from Nvidia therefore nothing illegal. The only thing you need to do is to disable system integrity protection before running the script, for it to work. (google csrutil disable)

In terms of performance/acceleration, this is a similar setup as the one you're looking to put together. (well,this one used a 970)

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

I am using a 970.  Just an FYI... they do not "officially" publicly support many cards.... but they quietly do produce drivers for them.

What is your setup and how is your performance? I am interested in Cuda acceleration actually..

Thank you

I have the Last Top Model MBP from before the new ones. 15"  2.8Ghz i7 with 16 GB of RAM and AMD M370X and Intel Iris Pro.

GTX970 in an Akito 2 box.

I am not doing anything that is using Cuda cores... mostly just playing WoW with Graphics settings high. It has totally improved my performance though.  My fans never spin up anymore....

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

I have the Last Top Model MBP from before the new ones. 15"  2.8Ghz i7 with 16 GB of RAM and AMD M370X and Intel Iris Pro.

GTX970 in an Akito 2 box.

I am not doing anything that is using Cuda cores... mostly just playing WoW with Graphics settings high. It has totally improved my performance though.  My fans never spin up anymore....

Well my MB is early 2011 so i will have a huge difference from your speeds :) 

I am running into the same issue as described on MacVideoCards.com (http://www.macvidcards.com/gtx-750-ti--970--980--980-ti--titan-x-doesnrsquot-finish-booting.html).....
"PROBLEM: While properly installed and powered the GPU in question will show the gray boot screen with the Apple logo, the progress bar will begin to fill and the computer will reboot. The Mac Pro will be stuck in a boot loop and this repeats indefinitely."

They say it's the following....
"SOLUTION: This issue occurs when a driver has not been installed or the incorrect driver has been installed. The Maxwell series GPUs do not have any driver support built into OS X and are reliant on Nvidia web drivers. Links to all of the currently released Nvidia web drivers can be found here, listed by OS X version and build number."

I followed all the steps described in this video: 

The computer recognizes the card as a PCIE Display within Graphic/Displays in System Information, but does not recognize the specific card.
All drivers (to my knowledge) are installed.

Thoughts?

Model: MacBook Pro, Mid-2015
PCIE Chassie: Bizon Box/Akitio Thunder2
EGPU: Zotac GTX 980

@shirazigs

I'm still on El Capitan myself but I believe that the "G-SYNC requires an NVidia G-SYNC(TM) display" explains it. Either you don't have a G-SYNC certified external monitor or the driver thinks you don't. I have a G-SYNC certified monitor myself so this is a very interesting topic for me too. However, macOS might first have to be updated to fully support G-SYNC (or free-sync, for that matter). Experimental support is also indicated by this thread on insanelymac.com. Sadly, it rather seems not to work for now :(.

16 hours ago, shirazigs said:

I made my decision. I'm going to downgrade my Sierra to El Capitan. (I hate you, Sierra!) :pirate:

how did you get amd discrete graphics work with your egpu? (i saw your signature at the end with it XD)

Edited by pokerman837