[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

4 minutes ago, Muadi said:

I use an external power supply with adapter (https://www.amazon.com/AntMiner-Supply-Jumper-Switch-Bitcoin/dp/B00OJNBWKG/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1480877731&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=ant+miner+power+supply+adapter).  Its far easier IMO.

Just get a 550W Power Supply w/ adapter and you'll be good.

thank you, ok i want a small psu :( to get all in one small case. 

and my pc psu got an on off switch .

your link is the same like this 

https://www.amazon.com/XSPC-ATX-Bridge-Tool-Black/dp/B00NKQ4F98/ref=pd_sbs_23_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NKQ4F98&pd_rd_r=CABRBTSEHKAGBHJ2GQS1&pd_rd_w=LIXVy&pd_rd_wg=t3ApV&psc=1&refRID=CABRBTSEHKAGBHJ2GQS1

right?

anybody knows small PSU with 550W ?

goalque stop support but i still can use his script at the beginning the post, to install my 980ti on my akitio thunder 2 right ?

1 i need web driver 

2 and the script 

3 i need kext ? where to find ? and why i need kext ? do i realy need it ?

On 4/12/2016 at 5:06 AM, Dizza said:

I'm having some issues getting my EGPU setup working.

My setup is as follows:

Mac mini (Late 2014)

2.6GHZ i5

8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Intel Iris 1536 mb

OSX 10.11.6 (15G31)

Akitio thunder2

Gigabyte GTX970

Dell DA2 220w power supply, modified to power card

What I have done so far

I have been trying to use automate-eGPU to install everything. It seems to work fine (but it does say no board id detected)

I have tried using a bunch of different drivers (have tried all of these for 10.11.6 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306535-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-el-capitan-update-10242016/ ) 

System report lists graphics/Displays as: 

Intel Iris (as normal) 

Nvidia Chip Model

[Chipset model: Nvidia Chip Model

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Land Width: x4

VRAM: 256mb

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x13c2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Rom Revision: Preset 1.0.0]

I'm no expert on this process, but it seems most other people are having a much easier time with this process. 

Does anybody have any ideas as to why it isnt working?

From what i can tell, others running similar setups, have no issues with the computer reporting what card is connected. 

Im very stuck. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers!

I have same problem with the same hardware..did you solved?

On 4/12/2016 at 5:06 AM, Dizza said:

I'm having some issues getting my EGPU setup working.

My setup is as follows:

Mac mini (Late 2014)

2.6GHZ i5

8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Intel Iris 1536 mb

OSX 10.11.6 (15G31)

Akitio thunder2

Gigabyte GTX970

Dell DA2 220w power supply, modified to power card

What I have done so far

I have been trying to use automate-eGPU to install everything. It seems to work fine (but it does say no board id detected)

I have tried using a bunch of different drivers (have tried all of these for 10.11.6 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306535-nvidia-web-driver-updates-for-el-capitan-update-10242016/ ) 

System report lists graphics/Displays as: 

Intel Iris (as normal) 

Nvidia Chip Model

[Chipset model: Nvidia Chip Model

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Land Width: x4

VRAM: 256mb

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x13c2

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Rom Revision: Preset 1.0.0]

I'm no expert on this process, but it seems most other people are having a much easier time with this process. 

Does anybody have any ideas as to why it isnt working?

From what i can tell, others running similar setups, have no issues with the computer reporting what card is connected. 

Im very stuck. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers!

I bought a gtx 970 mini, I installed it on my Akitio (where before it was installed and recognized a GTX 960 mini).. OSX now doesn't recognize my 970...

Edited by 8solo5

10 minutes ago, 8solo5 said:

I bought a gtx 970 mini, I installed it on my Akitio (where before it was installed and recognized a GTX 960 mini).. OSX now doesn't recognize my 970...

Have you uninstalled then reinstalled drivers?

Could it be as simple as that?

Is it possible, that the script is broken? I got this:

*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.9 - (c) 2016 by Goalque ***
-------------------------------------------------------
Detected eGPU
 GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti]
Current OS X
 10.12.1 16B2659
Previous OS X
 [not found]
Latest installed Nvidia web driver
 [not found]
No Nvidia web driver detected.
Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.
Mac board-id found.
Searching for matching driver...

No web driver yet available for build [16B2659].

Script is not broken.

You've got an emergency security update for 10.12.1 and now you have build 16B2659 (that was only available on 15" MBP late 2016 for some time). Nvidia haven't released drivers for that build and imo they won't be releasing it. But who knows?!

If you don't have a backup of 10.12.1 or distributive o re-install, you could pm me for a copy of 10.12.1 16B2657.

Edited by devild

No. I installed a security update in El Capitan and it destroyed my fusion drive. A repairing was not possible. The hard drive toolkit was crashing always.

So I formatted both drives as separate drives. After this I installed a brand new OS and brought back my data with the migration tool.

@goalque is there a way to run just the kext patching part of the script ?

edit: tried the -skipdriver and it seems to do it however doesn't work on my fresh Sierra install. 

Edited by w4vz

13 hours ago, w4vz said:

@goalque is there a way to run just the kext patching part of the script ?

edit: tried the -skipdriver and it seems to do it however doesn't work on my fresh Sierra install. 

As far I know you can''t reach the author on this forum anymore.

looks like he changed his username... anyway what a pity to abandon such a project for obscure reasons... stopping will not stop bison.. back to El Capitan for me probably but I'll wait for the new driver release b4 to try sierra; what are the chances that the script gets broken ?

Hopefully someone picks up the maintenance from 0.98? 

can someone explain me how the new project is better if you still need the script ?

Edited by w4vz

Goalque, N.a.n.d.o.4, and possible a few others had a falling out with the techinferno owners, were banned, and had to find a new forum. Both sides have accused the other of extortion and unethical behavior.

The new script is a scope expansion to include making changes to or at the EFI boot partition level which would impact boot volume selection during startup. Don't ask me why or for what purpose because I haven't figured that out either.

Edited by Hedge

Not to worry.

goalie never discovered anything or had any new magic, he was just repackaging things already known and slapping them in his script.

Everything you need is still out there.

I posted above the *secret sauce* he appropriated for this on release in June 2015.

If someone wishes to develop a similar script, I:ll tell you what you need to know.

And I will tell you a curious development which might help explain things. Shortly after 2016 MBP with new TB3 support came out, a clever guy named kid2010 posted the TB3 fix at Netkas board. One of the people mentioned above DELETED the links to that fix from this very board. *Not Invented Here* syndrome at it:s worst. Person in question would rather you all suffered with non-working TB3 than admit somebody else figured it out first.

On at least 2 occasions these helpful links vanished, depriving the members here of latest TB3 fix. They had forgotten that there are NOT multiple versions of the truth, just one.

Edited by MVC

@Hedge Thanks for the infos; that confirms that this situation makes no sense; all that it is achieving is going backwards... 

@MVC would you continue the script if you have so much knowledge ? I have zero programming knowledge; I just understand basic concepts about it so I can't carry the flame instead... What language is required ? I really do not want to go back to manual modifications days..

If anyone can help; I remember the script being able to download and modify a previous driver if there is no current driver however while the script gives me the option it says it can't find any alternative driver to download... :/ Anyone could shed some light on that ?

hi,

i got my akito box today.

seems working now after install script and web driver... wow it was easier than i thought. very good work "@goalque" 

no error or something like that. but

both display are lagging now 
(LG 4k display and Macbook display)

thunderbolt from macbook to akition+

LG display is connect with HDMI monitor too hdmi mini graphiccard

see my screenshot on my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pighuv19o9ns7ik/Screenshot 2016-12-08 15.02.21.png?dl=0

GTX 970 is detect but /// my macbook info 750 still show why?

need i deactivate 750 first ?

if yes how ?

did i need to reactivate if i dont use EGPU ?

is it possible to use 750+970 to render ? oder use 750 RAM ?

edit:

what does this mean ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb7sceygd10ucf0/Screenshot 2016-12-08 15.16.41.png?dl=0

FAILED ? O.O

MBP 2013 Late 750M 2,6Ghz 16GBRAM

Akitio thunder 2 + GTX 970

Edited by perra