[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

1 minute ago, MartyF81 said:

Not exactly. What they are doing is buying hardware that costs roughly $400.... and then advertising this as a complete solution with software included for about $1000. So they make $600+ profit for doing mostly nothing except giving the equipment and software together.

Like Apple. :-)

2 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

… and do not really tell their customers that the software is freeware they are taking from someone else.

This is definitely not okay. But this is not a reason stop the script for all truly users.

4 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

The creator of this does not want his software being used to rip of other people.

Ah, he has a problem with successful resellers? Really? This is the only reason?

And now he is stopping supporting Apple hard- and software too, because Apple is doing the same?

6 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

It is his decision.

Yes, of course. But I want to understand him. So I’m asking. ;-)

1 minute ago, Uhlhorn said:

Yes, of course. But I want to understand him. So I’m asking. ;-)

He has explained himself already in this thread.  I would kindly ask that you drop the issue.  The rest of us would like him to continue to work on his better project and I think being disrespectful to him or continuing to push him... will lead to him abandoning eGPU projects completely.

9 hours ago, Uhlhorn said:

Ah, he has a problem with successful resellers? Really? This is the only reason?

You've already answers to your questions on german forum.

As a software engineer I am very strict about licensing. I don't want to be in any association with a company who violates Intel's certification requirements.

I have a full time job, EFI project on my free time, and other more important things in my life. No time to give endless support.

• Thumbs Up 2

@goalque I can understand Your viewpoint in general. But what I do not understand is Your personal war with Bizon.

If You are not able to stop them to provide Your script without the remark, that the script is Your script, than You are not able to enforce Your new license too.

If You stop developing the script, You will not harm Bizon. They are ignoring it. You will only harm all other honest users.

• You don’t like it, that Bizon takes Your word: the script is free for all.
  • You don’t like the business model of Bizon, buying cheap, selling with a big profit. But Apple is okay?!? They are doing the same.
  • For 99.99 percent of Your honest users You are a hero, because You made this script for free. But these users are running in problems now, because You have a personal war with Bizon. And Bizon is ignoring it. They will continue to provide Your script, and they are adapting it to Sierra. Only Your other users get a damage.

You are punishing all users except Bizon – for a fault of Bizon.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Uhlhorn said:

@goalque I can understand Your viewpoint in general. But what I do not understand is Your personal war with Bizon.

If You are not able to stop them to provide Your script without the remark, that the script is Your script, than You are not able to enforce Your new license too.

If You stop developing the script, You will not harm Bizon. They are ignoring it. You will only harm all other honest users.

• You don’t like it, that Bizon takes Your word: the script is free for all.
  • You don’t like the business model of Bizon, buying cheap, selling with a big profit. But Apple is okay?!? They are doing the same.
  • For 99.99 percent of Your honest users You are a hero, because You made this script for free. But these users are running in problems now, because You have a personal war with Bizon. And Bizon is ignoring it. They will continue to provide Your script, and they are adapting it to Sierra. Only Your other users get a damage.

You are punishing all users except Bizon – for a fault of Bizon.

Please stop, he has explained himself.  It is his right to make this choice and you are not making the situation any better by pushing the issue.

13 minutes ago, MartyF81 said:

… and you are not making the situation any better by pushing the issue.

How is it possible to make more damage to the community than stopping the script for use and developing?!? We have already reached the maximum of damage. More is not possible. So we have nothing to loose. ;-)

12 minutes ago, Uhlhorn said:

How is it possible to make more damage to the community than stopping the script for use and developing?!? We have already reached the maximum of damage. More is not possible. So we have nothing to loose. ;-)

We do though. He stopped this project, to work on a new BETTER one that does the same thing more effectively.  He could decide to stop that project too, or not publish it because people like you are being annoying and are arguing with him about his decision.

Do you really think you are going to convince him to change his mind the way you are talking to him? You are being rude, condescending, and argumentative.  That is not a way to persuade someone.  Just stop.

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone can translate the last 20 pages of his nonsense:

http://www.macuser.de/threads/macpro-nmp-mit-externer-gpu.716921/

There is no any war, Bizon has kindly removed the link to my GitHub repository due to the new license.

I am not concerned if someone misuses my script. @Uhlhorn does not seem to understand the sanctions in the hardware/software industry if a company does not follow the license terms of the big players. If he prefers shady business model, I wish him good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Dae

Thanks for the blog post.

I’ve ran into all kinds of problems with our iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) at work. After the installation, the iMac’s display resolution turned into a square. I contacted Bizon tech support and they sent me a different version of the script, which solved the problem. (Another workaround by Netkas). Then I found that BizonBox 2 with GTX 980 didn’t accelerate anything on that iMac. In fact, it performed slower than the iMac’s own built-in GPU (AMD Radeon R9 M290X). DaVinci Resolve raw 4K footage playback went from 24 frames per second on the built-in GPU down to 17 frames per second on BizonBox 2 + GTX 980. This is weird, because the same box performed very well with MacBook Pro. Bizon tech support was clueless.

I would be interested what kind of script did they provide? You're referring to a workaround by Netkas?

His post is written on Feb 25th, 2016. After my ”quick fix” solution proposed here:

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7989-discontinued-automating-the-installation-of-egpu-on-os-x-inc-display-output/&do=findComment&comment=138038 

Does the ”different version of the script” support macOS Sierra? I found a new web site which says ”macOS Sierra 10.12 or later”:

https://support.bizon-tech.com/hc/en-us/articles/210708989-What-operating-systems-support-the-BizonBOX-What-are-the-minimum-operating-system-requirements-

bizon-operating-systems.png

It’s against the new license of automate-eGPU.sh.

By the way, according to google translation, Bizon claims to have found a way around Apple’s SLA regarding their Hackintosh business:

http://bizon-pc.com/ru/faq/#faq30

They push the responsibility to the end user.

I received Bizon’s “iMac 5K” version from @Dae. Thank you. Bizon uses automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.8 as the basis and it is completely invisible to the user because of the “hidden” flag.

They referred it as "a special version of the activation script provided upon request to users of iMac 5K”, and it contains the same line 62 “quick fix”. Furthermore, lines 516, 725 and 754 were modified in order to support macOS Sierra which is clearly prohibited:

2. Backward modification or merging with earlier versions is prohibited, including changes to
   support macOS Sierra as described in issue #31.

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/blob/master/SCRIPT-LICENSE.txt

7 hours ago, goalque said:

I received Bizon’s “iMac 5K” version from @Dae. Thank you. Bizon uses automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.8 as the basis and it is completely invisible to the user because of the “hidden” flag.

They referred it as "a special version of the activation script provided upon request to users of iMac 5K”, and it contains the same line 62 “quick fix”. Furthermore, lines 516, 725 and 754 were modified in order to support macOS Sierra which is clearly prohibited:

2. Backward modification or merging with earlier versions is prohibited, including changes to

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/blob/master/SCRIPT-LICENSE.txt

automate-eGPU.sh 0.9.8 gives full public and commercial fork privileges

Not a Bizon fan but am surprised Bizon took down your script. Your MIT-license.txt for 0.9.8 (Dec 2015)  gives *anybody* the legal right to a full fork of 0.9.8. Yes, that means Wolfe, BiZon, Netstor, AKITiO, Razor, Apple, Intel, InXtron or any eGPU community can continue development of your script as a 0.9.8 fork.

Those commercial ventures would surely be jumping for joy to see the DIY eGPU community develop and beta test automate-eGPU.sh for them free and would surely like it to continue. I understand if @goalque would now cease it's development - others are profiteering from his work.

For example, here is a public Tech Inferno Fan github fork of automate-eGPU.sh 0.9.8  . How many private forks exist?

Let's look at this in detail. Here's the MIT-license.txt from the 0.9.8 (Dec 2015) release https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/tree/73a53ac705dd31a927aebc85121aa6bae5df6e46

Copyright (c) 2015 Goalque

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy
of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal
in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights
to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell
copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is
furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in
all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN

THE SOFTWARE.

I see 0.9.9 (Aug-16-2016) has had MIT-license.txt deleted and SCRIPT-license.txt created to rectify this problem. From https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU

Copyright (c) 2016 Goalque

1. You are free to copy the script for personal use.
If you make changes, you are not permitted to distribute the script in any way.

3. No one is allowed to wrap the script into an installation tool or execute it from another program or script.

4. You may not use this script for commercial purposes.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY,
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER
LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM,
OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN

THE SOFTWARE.

Sierra 10.12 support, issue #31

Goalque, you give BiZoN the quick fix for lines 725 and 754 which they've studied and merged at https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/issues/31#issuecomment-239673651

Okay. At lines 725 and 754, change -eq 11 to -gt 10

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, this did not come as a surprise. I was aware from the beginning that someone could potentially use the v0.9.8 for commercial purposes (and still can), but never thought that one could take the MIT license literally and make an unreasonable profit. The script automates the process that you can do by hand. Everyone who modifies Apple’s copyrighted kext files, should be aware of Apple Software License Agreement: http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/macOS1012.pdf

The existence of hackintosh communities indicates that personal hackintoshing is ok, but if someone is profiting money from a breach of the SLA, we know what happens.

Publicly given quick fix (issue #31) from me is not a complete fix for macOS Sierra, it’s not version specific and never ended up to the source code of automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.8. At that time, the change was possible, but since the fix applies to v0.9.9 in the source level, you cannot merge the v0.9.8 and the proposed fix in issue #31 due to the license condition [2] of v0.9.9 at present.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just did a security update and lost egpu as usual. came here to download the latest script and saw the discontinued... I don't want to go to the old days :(((( @goalque no alternative in the future ? Will sierra be supported ? Not too sure about the whole story cause I haven't read everything but whatever you need just ask the community I'm sure everyone will back you. That said I will read the previous pages of this thread later today to try understand the story.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been using this script with Sierra just fine.  The script works with Sierra currently... it is a matter of the manufacturer of your Video Card creates drivers for Sierra or not.

Since Apple released their update today....  it will depend on if the Video Card manufacturer releases an driver update for the new MacOS build #.  Has nothing to do with this script.

17 hours ago, MartyF81 said:

I have been using this script with Sierra just fine.  The script works with Sierra currently... it is a matter of the manufacturer of your Video Card creates drivers for Sierra or not.

Since Apple released their update today....  it will depend on if the Video Card manufacturer releases an driver update for the new MacOS build #.  Has nothing to do with this script.

The latest script fixed it after the latest security update for my gtx 970 on el capitan latest

not done the sierra update yet

57 minutes ago, w4vz said:

The latest script fixed it after the latest security update for my gtx 970 on el capitan latest

not done the sierra update yet

I am running a GTX970 using Sierra right now. Have been since about 24 hours after Sierra was released.

• Thumbs Up 1