[SCRIPT] Automating the installation of eGPU on OS X (inc display output)

euqlaog

I have tried this with both -m and -a and find that on my late 2013 Mbpr 750m the external display renders correctly but the internal renders at 2880x1800. This is the only option in display preferences. For now I am back on 9.6, let me know if I can help to debug.

I have tried this with both -m and -a and find that on my late 2013 Mbpr 750m the external display renders correctly but the internal renders at 2880x1800. This is the only option in display preferences. For now I am back on 9.6, let me know if I can help to debug.

PCI device ID appending now allows to mix different family eGPUs, but the drawback is lost Nvidia dGPU acceleration. Fortunately it’s easy to uninstall v0.9.7 and switch back to v0.9.6. It was expected that Iris Pro won’t take over internal screen acceleration automatically. You can type "system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType" to see whether the internal screen is controlled by the Iris Pro or 750M.

Even if Iris Pro worked properly, completely disabling 750M when not using the eGPU wasn’t my intended goal. I’ll send you PM so we can debug this further.

Looks like it breaks on El Capitan. It didn't work when I did a minor OSX security update, then updated to El Capitan thinking that might fix the issue.

When I try and run the latest automate-eGPU.sh (0.9.7) I get this output:

*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.7 - (c) 2015 by Goalque ***-------------------------------------------------------
Detected eGPU
 GK110B [GeForce GTX 780 Ti]
Current OS X
 10.11 15A284
Previous OS X
 [not found]
Latest installed Nvidia web driver
 [not found]
You are running official Nvidia driver.
Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...

Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys. Mac board-id found. Searching for matching driver...

No web driver yet available for build [15A284].

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16143[/ATTACH]

EDIT: Just realized that the error is saying it couldn't find an Nvidia driver for my system -- which makes sense as the lasts one they released was in August. Here's hoping they make an El Capital release soon.

OS X 10.11 is not selectable from the dropdown at Nvidia's web site, but the script found it, this is not beta:

[FONT=Menlo]*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.7 - (c) 2015 by Goalque ***[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]-------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Detected eGPU[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] GM204 [GeForce GTX 980][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Current OS X[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] 10.11 15A284[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Previous OS X[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] 10.10.5 14F27[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Latest installed Nvidia web driver[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] Version: 346.02.03f01[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] Source: 3rd Party[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] Install Date: 9/26/15, 4:57 PM[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]You are running official Nvidia driver.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Checking IOPCITunnelCompatible keys...[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Missing IOPCITunnelCompatible keys.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Mac board-id found.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Searching for matching driver...[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Driver [346.03.02f01] found from:[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.02f01/WebDriver-346.03.02f01.pkg[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Do you want to download this driver (y/n)?[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]y[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]100 68.9M  100 68.9M    0     0  3500k      0  0:00:20  0:00:20 --:--:-- 3577k[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Driver downloaded.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Removing validation checks...[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Modified package ready. Do you want to install (y/n)?[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]y[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.02f01[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]installer: Upgrading at base path /[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]installer: The upgrade was successful.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]installer: The install requires restarting now.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]SetIOPCIMatch() set device ID 0x13C010DE in /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]All ready. Please restart the Mac.[/FONT]

Works great.
  • Thumbs Up 1

OS X 10.11 is not selectable from the dropdown at Nvidia's web site, but the script found it, this is not beta:

[FONT=Menlo]*** automate-eGPU.sh v0.9.7 - (c) 2015 by Goalque ***[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]-------------------------------------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Detected eGPU[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] GM204 [GeForce GTX 980][/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Current OS X[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] 10.11 15A284[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Previous OS X[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] 10.10.5 14F27[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Latest installed Nvidia web driver[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] Version: 346.02.03f01[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] Source: 3rd Party[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo] Install Date: 9/26/15, 4:57 PM[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]You are running official Nvidia driver.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Mac board-id found.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Searching for matching driver...[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Driver [346.03.02f01] found from:[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.02f01/WebDriver-346.03.02f01.pkg[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Do you want to download this driver (y/n)?[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]y[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]100 68.9M  100 68.9M    0     0  3500k      0  0:00:20  0:00:20 --:--:-- 3577k[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Driver downloaded.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Removing validation checks...[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]Modified package ready. Do you want to install (y/n)?[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]y[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]installer: Package name is NVIDIA Web Driver 346.03.02f01[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]installer: Upgrading at base path /[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]installer: The upgrade was successful.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]installer: The install requires restarting now.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]IOPCITunnelCompatible mods done.[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]SetIOPCIMatch() set device ID 0x13C010DE in /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist[/FONT]
[FONT=Menlo]All ready. Please restart the Mac.[/FONT]

Works great.

After installing the driver on El Capitan it takes my mac much longer to boot with eGPU and it wont let me use my internal display at all... the monitors attached to my eGPU work fine though. Anyone else experiencing this?

Using Late 2013 MBPr with 750m built in.

After installing new web driver with v0.9.6, the system recognizes GTX 980, but doesn't utilize it. The results of Valley benchmark tests show same scores with or without eGPU. Even I got better score without eGPU. Also there is no connection to the external monitor. Would you let me know how to attack this problem?

The system configuration is

• Mid 2014 15" Macbook Pro GT 750M
  • Akitio Thunderbolt to PCIe box
  • EVGA GTX 980
  • Dell P2415Q
  • El Capitan 10.11

post-39214-14495000843205_thumb.png

Finally !

The script v0.9.6 is working perfectly, everything is very stable, i just can't boot with 2 external monitors. I have to boot with 1 monitor attached and then hotplug the second one into the graphic card but, after that, it works like a charm. The retina display switch automatically from Iris pro to the GT 750m. I've done a benchmark to test the eGPU. Here is the result in comparison to other results you can found here (Unigine Heaven 4.0 Benchmark Scores | TechPowerUp Forums ):

post-36254-14495000844576_thumb.jpg

Regarding the issue, i've realized that the GC was definitely the problem when i had tested the Akitio setup with a GeForce GTX 560 Ti and everything was working (unless the internal screen not recognized, an issue which come from the v0.9.7). Now my GC is replaced and here is the setup at this state :

post-36254-14495000844347_thumb.jpg

I just wonder how it is possible to optimize the system to use at least 80% of the capability of the 980 TI ? Is it really limited by the 4 lane PCI Express 2.0 interface of the Akitio (which is 5.0Gbps) and is it possible to double it with a second thunderbolt cable ?

There is a great article about the difference of efficiency between several configuration in PCI-E : GeForce GTX 980 PCI-Express Scaling | techPowerUp For a GTX 980 there is not so much contrast so maybe a GTX 980

TI manage more data than 5.0Gbps ?

That being said, the result is still very good and it is so convenient to be able to use the dGPU for other operations on the internal screen !

I realize now that thanks to your script it is very easy to use a eGPU on OSX, even for a beginner :).

Now i'm going to work on making a box to be able to transport it safely. I will write a thread soon in the Implementation Guides section once everything is in place.

Thank you again for the help !

post-36254-14495000844118_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Used this script today and the installation process completed without any problems. However I'm a little confused;

GPU shows up in system report, however the external display is using integrated graphics? Also, After Effects (CC 2014) does not recognise the CPU.

GPU: Zotac GTX980

Akitio Thunder2

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

FileVault enabled

MBPr 15" 2014 IG

Would appreciate any help! Screenshots below.

aS3siG0.pngO59s1oH.png

yKQzlAa.png

Used this script today and the installation process completed without any problems. However I'm a little confused;

GPU shows up in system report, however the external display is using integrated graphics? Also, After Effects (CC 2014) does not recognise the CPU.

GPU: Zotac GTX980

Akitio Thunder2

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

FileVault enabled

MBPr 15" 2014 IG

Seems like you hot plugged the LG TV display. The app will launch from the screen that is set as the primary, so drag the menu bar to eGPU display, disable FileVault and try again.

Seems like you hot plugged the LG TV display. The app will launch from the screen that is set as the primary, so drag the menu bar to eGPU display, disable FileVault and try again.

Thanks, now I'm seeing the following although AE is still not recognising the GPU:

8b5KkSq.png

post-39039-14495000844837_thumb.png