Alienware M18x Stock Bios XM Guide

mw86

The Core i7 2920XM is a 2.5 Ghz processor with 4 physical execution cores and Hyperthreading allowing 8 threads to be processed at once. While the 2960XM is a 2.7 Ghz processor taking the place of the 2920XM. The 2920XM features a Turbo Boost max frequency of 3.5 Ghz in single core usage with 3.4 Ghz dual core usage and 3.2 Ghz with all cores active and can idle at a minuscule 800 MHz (The idle speed of Sandy Bridge chips). The later having 3.7 Ghz single core Turbo Max Frequency with 3.6 GHz dual core usage and 3.4 Ghz with all cores utilized. These chips feature unlocked multipliers unlike the rest of the Second Generation Core processors from Intel, allowing for adjustments to the Turbo Multiplier limits on a per active core basis through the Bios. For comparison the 2860QM has 3.6 Ghz single core Turbo Max Frequency with 3.5 GHz dual core usage and 3.3 Ghz with all cores being used but the chip is locked preventing manipulation of the multipliers. Speeds on these Sandybridge mobile chips are determined with a multiplier multiplied by the system baseclock. The default baseclock is 99.8Mhz. Idle multiplier is 8 while non-turbo max is 25 in the 2920XM and 27 in the 2960XM whith Dell allowing up to a 45 Turbo Boost multiplier in the stock bios and I have booted my 2920XM as high as a 51 multiplier on the unlocked bios. Dell sells the Alienware M18x with one of these at stock Turbo settings or for a $75 premium they will set the preset level 1 Overclock setting in the bios for you, a feat which is so easy your grandma can do it.

post-34-14494991836472_thumb.jpg

(By default the 2920XM at stock will have the following multipliers: 32 at 3 to 4 active cores, 34 at 2 active cores and with one core active 35 multiplier Turbo Boost. The 2960XM at stock will have 34 at 3 to 4 active cores, 36 at 2 active cores and with one core active 37 multiplier Turbo Boost. Pictured above are the stock multipliers of the 2920XM and if you enable Override Turbo Settings the stock Turbo settings display as 55 watts Long Duration Power Limit, 28 seconds Long Duration Time Window and Short Duration Power Limit is 68 watts. The stock settings also include a Flex VID Override (Cpu Voltage) setting of zero.

post-34-14494991837166_thumb.jpg

(The overclocking options of the standard bios are located under Performance Options Menu)

(Default Factory Overclock Preset level 1 of 3 [This is what Dell charges $75 US dollars to select for you])

Notice the short power limit is 80 watts, the long power limit is 64 watts, the time to run at short limit before switching to long is 28 seconds. The CPU turbo multipliers are at 34 for 3 to 4 cores active, 36 for 2 cores active and finally 40 for 1 core active. Dell's preset sets the Turbo Flex VID to 10.

post-34-14494991837878_thumb.jpg

(Advanced Bios options default memory and baseclock)

post-34-14494991838538_thumb.jpg

(Advanced Bios options Factory Overclock Preset level 2 of 3)

Here the short power limit is 88 watts, the long power limit is 70 watts, the time to run at short limit before switching to long is 28 seconds. The CPU turbo multipliers are at 35 for 4 to 35 for 3 cores active, 37 for 2 cores active and finally 41 for 1 core active. Dell's preset sets the Turbo Flex VID to 15.

post-34-14494991839215_thumb.jpg

(Advanced Bios options Factory Overclock Preset level 3 of 3)

Here the short power limit is 94 watts, the long power limit is 75 watts, the time to run at short limit before switching to long is 28 seconds. The CPU turbo multipliers are at 35 for 4 to 36 for 3 cores active, 38 for 2 cores active and finally 42 for 1 core active. Dell's preset sets the Turbo Flex VID to 25.

post-34-14494991839956_thumb.jpg

(Advanced options showing baseclock adjustment and Memory Overclocking options)

The i7 2920XM and 2960XM is rated to a max of 1600MHz according to the Intel specification sheet, so running your ram at this is the best match for the 2920XM. The Alienware M18x has a max of 2133Mhz ram based on bios options, but will not make a big difference over the 1600MHz ram since there is no official support by Intel. As of right now 1866 MHz ram is the highest rated speed available in the mobile ram market. The HyperX 1600MHz ram I used is rated at 1.65 Volts which is the most voltage available to the ram in the M18x with a default of 1.50 Volts and the values of 1.55 and 1.60 also available. The ram speeds available to the system are 1067, 1333, 1600, 1867, 2133 MHz. XMP profile 2 works at the rated speed but I found profile 1 works but the ram slows down to 667mhz instead of 800mhz dual data rate so not technically running at the full 1600Mhz. If you're not using XMP compatible ram default works fine. Long Duration Time Window has a 56 second max and a minimum of 0. Long Duration Power Limit can be set from 0 to 80 watts. Shockingly with the Long Duration Power Limit set at 80 watts I have observed a peak of 87~ watts. Short Duration Power Limit can be set from 0 to 99 watts and once again to my amazement during heavy benching I noticed Throttle Stop showing a wattage peaking at as high as 106~ watts. The TDC or amperage is set at 97.

post-34-14494991840648_thumb.jpg

(These are the memory timings that are available for adjustment if you select Custom DIMM Profile instead of XMP 1, XMP 2 or Default.)

Notes:

When changing the baseclock I have found it necessary to select apply immediately, hit enter, hit apply at reboot (permanently), hit enter, hit F10 select and hit enter to reboot and save settings. If your using an after market performance ram and use XMP profiles when your the system reboots after a baseclock adjustment the system reboots initially and does not post, reboots itself and shows the post which is when you re-enter the bios and go back to the ram setting and select XMP profile 2 again hit F10 and enter once again to save settings and reboot. Upon the reboot the system boots normal now and the XMP profile 2 stays set during all future subsequent boots and reboots unless you adjust the baseclock again.

With a Turbo Flex Voltage ID of 25 you should see a 1.4462Volt Max from my observations with Throttle Stop under full load overclocked. When Turbo Flex VID is set to 0 in the bios I have witnessed a max of 1.3511 as the max volts reported by Throttle Stop at full loads. The max turbo multiplier you can set is 45 in the Alienware M18x with the Core i7 2920XM. With a Turbo Flex VID of 25 you can run the 2920XM at a 45 multiplier on 1/2/3/4 core, as long as all other overclocking aspects are stable. You will see 4.5Ghz max over 1 or more core if the current conditions allow it, possibly around 4GHz over 4 cores for a short time. Though after my initial testing without a baseclock overclock the cpu can sit at 4.5 GHz single and dual core, while 3 core speeds are around 4.2 GHz max and leaving 4 core speed at around 4.0 GHz to 4.1 GHz max if running cool enough. So you can set 45/45/45/45 in the bios for turbo max multipliers and you can also set a limit on the multipliers for quad core and it could look like this 40/42/45/45 but with good cooling maybe a 41 multiplier could be attained in quad core usage. I recommend a stock baseclock when overclocking for a permanent overclock that's stable for all situations. The 2920XM runs successfully at a turbo multiplier max per core of 45 for 1 active core, 45 for 2 active cores, 42 for 3 active cores and 40 for 1 active core. Voltage ID, the current CPU speed on a per core usage basis, Ram speeds, baseclock, any clocks linked to the baseclock and temperature are all factors in the speed these processors run and their derived stability based upon those factors.

Blend is a preset "torture test" on Prime95 a stability test derived from a program which calculates prime numbers. There is a benchmark test in the program too, which in my experience has proven to quickly determine a stable overclock on the CPU and being even more specific the baseclock since system crashes seem to occur on those tests within an hour or two if the baseclock is adjusted to high. For a crash proof system though, a blend run may need to run for about 6 hours to truly reveal instability under long term extreme loads or gaming but for the average user a minimum of an hour should be run. Utilize the tests to see the highest your entire system is stable with an overclocked baseclock first.. if you are overclocking by baseclock. I would like to emphasize the ram is really affected by increases in baseclock. On the baseclock a setting from 99-105.13 seems to be my limit, others have gotten higher and a M17x R3 user attained a 107 baseclock. Results will be different from system to system. With stock Dell issued 4 Gb DDR3 1333 Mhz Ram it seemed to be able to be pushed harder than a set of Kingston HyperX 1600mhz chips I tested. Probably because the chips are 1333 mhz ram set at 1600mhz and sold to be stable at 1.65v so it is near its limits already and other aftermarket ram may do better so look for ram chips that are 1600Mhz natively. The baseclock is very sensitive to adjustment and stability will depend more on your various system clocks which are all located on the processor now including your memory controller, PCI Express connectivity, Serial ATA and USB controllers, which is all increased as you raise your baseclock above the default 99.8 Mhz. The CPU processing cores easily can handle the increases to the baseclock but the other system clocks start to fail as the baseclock is raised too high and too high is different for everyone.

For me 105.13 baseclock was windows bootable but as soon as I started doing anything the system would freeze. Subsequently a baseclock of 104.7 in the bios resulted in a bootable Windows which detected the baseclock at 104.5. Utilizing a 45 multiplier and the 104.5 baseclock the derived speed was 4.69 GHz. I ran a few benches at this speed like WPrime the 32M and 1024M lengths. The system survived the benchmarks but failed long term stability tests. The overall scores on benchmarks will increase as the baseclock is raised. With the baseclock raised voltage on the CPU will need to be increased and possibly the ram voltage. In my case the ram was already set to its max setting of 1.65 volts and the adjustment for CPU voltage is the Turbo Flex VID setting. With the baseclock overclock and high multipliers depending you may need from a Flex VID of 10 up to the max Flex VID of 25 to stay stable. At 4.6 Ghz quad core on a 8thread 1024M bench run you may need about 14 flex and at 4638Mhz I required 15flex to survive the run. Both require the most cooling possible such as the fans at max and the exhaust of the laptop unobstructed. These speeds are also not maintainable much over the 170-180 seconds the bench runs for... the temps simply rise too fast. So one could configure the chip to maintain those speeds for a short time using a high short watt limit and a long short term time limit before clocking itself down to its long limit before stability becomes an issue. That's what these chips are great for... you really can have them peak high and bring themselves back into safe operating ranges for long term use.

If you set 45 multiplier on all cores, set a Flex of 12, set Long Duration Power to 80 watts, set Long Duration Time Limit to 56 seconds and the Short Duration Power to 99 watts with the baseclock at its default 99.8 MHz the chip is stable. Set like this the chip does not maintain 4.5 Ghz at all times since that would be unstable. The following benchmarks and stability tests passed with the preceding settings. Intel Burn Test v2.50 by Agent GOD 5 runs on each thread setting using very high stress level (4096 Mb of ram) over 1,2,3,4,6 and 8 threads. Prime 95 64bit V26.6 build 3 was run on the torture test using the Blend setting for 7 hours and also the benchmark once located under the options menu. Extreme CPU Benchmark version 1B by Agent GOD in dual core and single core mode passed. Wprime V1.55 on 8 threads using 32M and 1024M additionally threads 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 7 in 1024M mode also passed. Finally running the Windows Experience Index Hardware Assessment was also a good check of the cpu and ram but is not good as a performance measurement. Using multiple tools is a good idea for testing stability especially with today dynamic processors which boost themselves depending on their workload and active cores requiring a more dynamic set of testing patterns to be certain an overclock is truly stable. I recommend even trying a game if you plan on gaming with the system. There was no crashing or system instability with the above settings and tests though it is worth mentioning on the Intel Burn Test utilizing 8 threads when first starting the burn the cpu is in its short term power limit and given the settings above was enough to heat the cpu up to the thermal shutdown temperature of 100 degrees Celsius so you will need to be sure cooling is adequate. Intel Burn Test was the only test to exhibit this behavior and it is in my opinion that under normal cpu operation there won't be a game or program that heats the cpu up to 100 degrees Celsius in at 99watts under 56 seconds before dropping the power limit down to the 80 watt Long Term Power Limit with Dell's 97Amps set. I did determine two values which can curb the said thermal shutdown problem in the same test. With the above settings and same test the Short Duration Power Limit can be set to 91 watts and it will be just shy of shutting down during the test so perhaps 90 watts would suffice, this allowed me to leave the 56 second Long Duration Time Window. Alternatively you can set 27 seconds and leave the 99 watts on the Short Duration Power Limit to have the 8 thread Intel Burn test finish without thermal shut off with the above settings. You can stick close to one of those suggestions or find a balance between them that suits your needs. so you see by just varying the flex, multipliers, short limit, long limit and the short time limit will let you create a fast but stable overclock. If short limit is high and you need more stability lower the short time limit and if you want a long time limit lower the short limit to maintain stability. I personally will leave all the settings at max like above with the Flex of 0 with multipliers that keep within stable speeds at that voltage. While just working on improving cooling including but not limited to changing the stock thermal paste to a better performing one such as IC Diamond 24.

Check here for Basic Benchmarking tips including a list of overclocking related BSOD:

See here for the Unlocked Bios for the M18x:

Pushing M18x Unlocked Bios

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I finally today got this guide restored after that database error a month or two ago that wiped the M18x Benchmarking thread. I made some revisions and will continue to do so as I have time. Hopefully you guys like it

• Thumbs Up 1

love your guide , thanks for doing this in the early morning :)

Your very welcome i had this minus a few additions up a month or two soon after getting my M18x but it got erased by a random database error one day along with the whole M18x Benchmark thread. I got the M18x bench thread restored by a few Google snapshots of a previous month and I quoted everyone to get it put back together. This one was not fully intact at all so I went by a slightly older revision I made on my phone in One Note (Windows Phone in Office App) and updated it to talk about the 2960XM that just got released in September. Glad you like it thanks for the feed back. Both guides I worked on last night and morning (nearly fell asleep again in front of computer). Both are ready for you to follow and try stuff. I'll get the video done eventually and these will teach many to start with... the video will be a straight shot from installing stock bios A03, installing unlocked bios, setting unlocked bios, setting values higher than unlocked bios allows in a hex editor using a extracted version of your bios which is modified then re-flashed to the system, then overclocking with the unlocked bios and the Intel XTU together in unison so that values that were modified in the hex editor stay and do not get reset if you change you config with the unlocked bios and Intel XTU the proper way. Such as if after setting the mod in the bios you wanted you can change the bclk, multis, amps, watts, active cores, Hyperthreading,core states, cpu voltage (flex in sandybridge) etc... all without effecting your selected mod....

Wow, awesome guide for overclocking noobs like me :) Thanks so much, very very helpful ineed.

i register to techinferno just because of this tread. I have a feeling i will be here often lol :)

I personally will leave all the settings at max like above with the Flex of 0 with multipliers that keep within stable speeds at that voltage. While just working on improving cooling including but not limited to changing the stock thermal paste to a better performing one such as IC Diamond 24.

now you mention to leave flex of 0, what about the long term and short term, and the window term settings?

I just got a m18x with 2960xm processor, what safe settings do you recommend for my set up? i know every cpu is different so i will have to do my testing... but where do you suggest is a safe voltage and wattage settings for my 2960xm?

thanks in advance! you rock !

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Wow, awesome guide for overclocking noobs like me :) Thanks so much, very very helpful ineed.

i register to techinferno just because of this tread. I have a feeling i will be here often lol :)

now you mention to leave flex of 0, what about the long term and short term, and the window term settings?

I just got a m18x with 2960xm processor, what safe settings do you recommend for my set up? i know every cpu is different so i will have to do my testing... but where do you suggest is a safe voltage and wattage settings for my 2960xm?

Welcome to T|I buddy.

Welcome to Tech Inferno... good to hear you like it. Try this if your on the stock bios otherwise you can go even higher on the unlocked but requires more settings. So I did some testing recently and 45/45/45/45 multis, 80long watt limit, 99 short watt limit at 56seconds time window... with the 0flex makes a very nice 4.5GHz overclock that for runs nice and cool. I would use stock baseclock for 24/7 but I can also approve about 100-101ish if want a little boost... maybe 101.4mhz. I would stay right there for most things. If on those settings you get a bsod saying 0000101 or 00000124 just raise the flex by 1... you shouldn't i needed more than stock amps to need more volts...

Welcome to Tech Inferno... good to hear you like it. Try this if your on the stock bios otherwise you can go even higher on the unlocked but requires more settings. So I did some testing recently and 45/45/45/45 multis, 80long watt limit, 99 short watt limit at 56seconds time window... with the 0flex makes a very nice 4.5GHz overclock that for runs nice and cool. I would use stock baseclock for 24/7 but I can also approve about 100-101ish if want a little boost... maybe 101.4mhz. I would stay right there for most things. If on those settings you get a bsod saying 0000101 or 00000124 just raise the flex by 1... you shouldn't i needed more than stock amps to need more volts...

wow, and overclock of 4.5! wow i will try that right now, keep you posted. thanks!

Okay,

I tried it, it seems to be stable but temps were up in the 90s while playing battlefield bad company 2, I also notice that after a few minutes the clocks would just stay at 3.8ghrz.... i think it was due to the eat?

Well if you get those bsod errors I described add voltage. If temps are an issue and you want stock fans you can lower the over clock some a more cooler one is 41/42/43/44 on the multipliers with same settings as above. The bios limits of the stock bios are that at the most you can set is 80 watts @97amps long term so after the short time limit if the cpu is still being loaded it will drop to 80 watts max. The temps wont hurt anything if they are stable in a stress test but if your reaching 95-99 you need to lower your 4 to 3 core multiplier or set that long limit to a few less watts. By the way I jumped the gun... 45/45/45/45 is going to be okay long term if you set you fans at max speed with HWinfo fan.

if you wouldn't like to do that since it can be loud use a lower overclock to stay cooler. For 24/7 use you don't want it to overheat and shut off. On the stock bios the thermal throttle temp is 85C so as soon as you hit that you will slowly start to throttle in increments. The amps and watts can be set higher and that helps maintain higher turbo limits. On the stock bios you can try Intel XTU and follow the same method here: http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/1166-unlocking-tpl-all-cpus-m17x-r3-2920xm-overclocking-potential.html#post14086 and it should allow you to set higher watts in the long term, the amps and set higher multipliers which would only be if you can keep temps down and afford to raise voltage to accommodate the higher frequencies. The stock bios has a lock called MSR_limit and it prevents you from changing values of watts in windows with throttle stop. If you go to the stock bios it can be disabled and you can in the bios set both long and short limit of watts to 99 and in windows Throttle Stop could then set a value as high as you want.

Intel XTU: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19683〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows 7%2C 64-bit*&DownloadType=Software Applications

this guide here can also give you insight on what options are:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1125-m18x-a03-bios-modifying-via-da_gs-method-hex-registers-editing.html#post13085

You can set HWinfo to run fans automatically Mumak said:

1. If you put "OpenFanCtrlMin=1" at the end of HWiNFO32.INI (or HWiNFO64.INI respectively) that should automatically activate the fan control window in minimized mode too

2. Please check using task manager if it's still active

You can start it at start up via Task Scheduler and setting HWinfo to start at logon as a "basic task" and set open with highest privileges.

Alienware Fan Control thread to the post with task scheduler.

I talk about some settings here: http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/1166-unlocking-tpl-all-cpus-m17x-r3-2920xm-overclocking-potential.html#post14217

Edited by mw86

• 1 month later...

Nice guide man, really made me realize i know nothing about my system @_@. Ive started OC, but at the moment i can't repaste or buy a cooling pad. Im looking to get around 4.0Ghz for my emulation needs, I have the 2960XM. What specific settings do you recommend, keeping in mind I game for about 2-3 hours and don't wanna fry my pc! Would it be a too much of a hassle to ask each value, core/fsb/ram as im really not 100% i understand, sorry im new at this, also please advice on what temps are normal on the cpu.

Thanks in advance!

Richard P.

Nice guide man, iareally made me realize i know nothing about my system @_@. Ive started OC, but at the moment i can't repaste or buy a cooling pad. Im looking to get around 4.0Ghz for my emulation needs, I have the 2960XM. What specific settings do you recommend, keeping in mind I game for about 2-3 hours and don't wanna fry my pc! Would it be a too much of a hassle to ask each value, core/fsb/ram as im really not 100% i understand, sorry im new at this, also please advice on what temps are normal on the cpu.

Thanks in advance!

Richard P.

no prob glad to help and welcome Richard to Tech | Inferno. Please when you have chance post your full system specs hardware wise... You said CPU and m18x... Gpu,ram,hard drives etc.

Quickest easiest over lock that's 100% stable and cool here itb is for stock bios that is:

If you have trouble finding where to set these let me know.

Go to bios at boot. Go to second tab from left to right and enter the over lock section. Enable the over locking options so all appear. Set 40,40,40,40 in the multiplier section just hit + or - or something over values. Now where it says turbo flex make this value 0... At 4ghz there's no need for anything over stock volts which is what 0 flex is. Now set you ram accordingly by spec in the bottom section... 1600mhz set manually if 1600mhz ram. Set the volts the ram states as default... My HyperX states 1.65v but I use about 1.5-1.55v. Leave baseclock at 99.8 which is stock or set to 100 even... Don't go higher as it can cause issues with PCI slots speed like video card and ram speed etc. So now set long term watt limit to 80 watts which is max stock bios does.. And 99 watts short term... Next change short time limit to 56 seconds..if any of the short limits long limits or turbo multis don't show hit enable over locking etc till all values are listed. Refer to my guide when necessary. You shouldn't over heat to much in anything... If at these se3ttings you are getting too hot you only need to lower 1 of2 things and its up to you which. Lower 99watts by a little if turbo runs so high under stress that you are over heating.... Lowering it tells CPU to slow speed down under heavier loads. Or lower the short time limit which stock is 28 max is 56 seconds and its up to you what to set as this values tells CPU that after that time in seconds that max wattage is no longer the 99watts of short limit but now 80 watts the max of long term limit... So if those settings are fine good otherwise just lower one of those. When ready hit F10 and select yes save and restart. So those volts for CPU the turbo flex is best at 0 flex for the 4ghz you want... That equates to from my testing a 1.3711v max at 0 flex... Each raise by 1 is about 1/3 of .o1volts. So leave at 0 since adding volts adds heat exponentially. If speed drops in apps there's nothing more to do on stock bios as 80watts is long limit max and stock amps is 97amps which can't be modified via stock bios. Any questions reply with quote to post or type @ mw86 with no space between in your reply post.

@ mw86 Thanks man, I learned a lot from this. I was using flex at 25, so I should set this on 0. I was OC yesterday and I got 90 C temps on the CPU package, maybe it was because of that flex value. I immediately turned emulation off. Since there's no IC Diamond or cooling pads here in Mexico. I got a small table with a perfect rectangular hole in the middle and placed my PC there, and it gave me better temps, then I placed a small but powerful fan below and I was getting a stable 4.2-4.4Ghz with a Max temp of 82 C after 2 hours of emulation, and the little fan was a the lowest setting @_@. Maybe its the winter, but in the summer time I'll just yank the fan up a bit. My values were 45 45 45 45 my mistake on the flex 25, and everything in the power to max, but I did not OC the memory, I'll try that, FSB was at 99.80 thanks for that suggestion too. My hardware is 2960XM 6990m CF 1600's ram i think, and 2 7200 HDD's. So if i monitor the temps and they're not climbing, should I continue to use maximum settings? What do you advice? should I keep flex at 0 when im using more than 4.0Ghz or yank it up? Since i was afraid of using hwinfo64 to override the fan problem, im using that load optimal settings in the BIOS fix, and its really working wonders for me, the right fan doesn't turn off anymore. Thanks for taking the time for this mw86, and for the details!

you are very welcome Richard. To mention me so I get notification you had something to say to me when I log in to the forum just type what you did @ mw86 but don't leave the space in the middle I'll do it for you here so you see. Its not required but helps be sure your question is noticed faster. [MENTION=1807]Ricardo Pulido[/MENTION]

From sounds of it your doing great so far. Here's the last bit of info you'll need. Thank you for the kind words. Glad it's helping people :) . Okay first yes with settings I am telling you know set it and forget it. Okay 0 flex is enough for 4.4ghz so set 44 in all of the turbo multipliers... Before I didn't know you wanted to go higher. On my rig I've been using the same settings and no probe for ages now in normal apps and games. Anyway so 44,44,44,44 in multipliers now. 100% stable and cool. Leave 99watt max at short watt limit, leave 80 watt in long watt limit... Leave 56 second unless you had set it lower... Now 0 flex is actually enough for 4.4ghz even so once you go higher you need to add smalls steps of flex only enough to stop errors... So 4.5ghz will need more. So the ram set 1.5v, 1600mhz (set manually so it says 1600) and set xmp2 in xmp profile but restart and enter bios and set the ram settings the same a second time if they didn't all stay they will the second time. I mentioned in guide I think.for m18x fans I wrote many posts on how to get them working no prob. Let me know if you can't find I'll post links. Any questions let me know again. Enjoy. 4.4ghz over lock running cool and stable I use same but use unlocked bios to raise amps from stock 97 to 300 range which gives me 4.4ghz in all apps except the Intel burn or prime 95 which runs around 3.7ghz

@mw86 Excellent, i'll use those settings! wow your unlocked BIOS are insane!, thanks again, Christmas time is gonna be awesome with all these games.

Cool it makes me very happy to have helped you Richard. Enjoy feel free to let me know how things are running after you've used it like that for awhile always like to hear back... Cheers enjoy... they are beasts truly.

Hey mw86, been a while since you taught me all that stuff for my M17x R3. I'm having trouble getting my laptop to boot @45. 44 is fine. I use 85w long and 99w short but it's turned off as the spikes cause instant blue screens. My current is 880 pri so 110a, any higher will go blue. My laptop just refuses to boot @45x. I haven't touched the flex. Should I think about touching that?

Hey mw86, been a while since you taught me all that stuff for my M17x R3. I'm having trouble getting my laptop to boot @45. 44 is fine. I use 85w long and 99w short but it's turned off as the spikes cause instant blue screens. My current is 880 pri so 110a, any higher will go blue. My laptop just refuses to boot @45x. I haven't touched the flex. Should I think about touching that?

i tried replying earlier, you mentioned disabling short limit that is fine... and amps you set to 110amp... so what have you been leaving your watt limit at the 85 long you had or the 99 watts long? okay i'll just give you a flex range 4.5ghz even 3flex to 12flex... depending on temps. if running hotter than in the past your same overclock would cause boot problems too. So you need more flex... if speed drops raise watts or amps a little yes if you raise higher right now it bsods... so add 1 flex at a time till it dont... thats the best way 1 flex at a time and test. if 0000000124 or 000000101 bsod these are the most common voltage related bsods and most often it means add voltage... if your near 99flex then that error may just mean too much voltage... hope that helps. so running hot add voltage running cool use a little less voltage and cpu runs faster.. and if raising speed from last stable and get voltage bsod or freeze... add 1 flex till stable. 4.585ghz on mine right now booted in windows somewhat running vantage and stuff at 10 flex... at normal room temps only way 3flex is enough for 4.5 is if running really cool like if you were to be benching. not helping yet let me know i'll get you where you want... best bet to find safe watt limits if you have trouble getting 4.5 stable boot bios at low watts like 55 and once in windows raise the watts and tet things till you find what is stable and booting correct.

• 7 months later...