rip-off alert: Bizon Box 2 is an overpriced modified AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure

17 hours ago, Dae said:

This thread is like #1 in all Google searches for BizonBox. We're a production company and we bought the device because we needed a better GPU to accelerate DaVinci Resolve and Adobe Premiere for playback and editing of raw 4K footage from DJI Inspire drone. It worked more or less with one of our computers, but didn't accelerate anything on our iMac 5K (biggest disappointment for us). I found the device a little tricky to use, but I understand most of its problems can be attributed to the overall state of eGPU in Mac world.

I wrote a blog post with my observations and I hope someone will find it useful.

http://dae.me/blog/2192/a-brief-note-on-bizonbox-2-gtx-980/

Yes i m sorry for asking that. But still some question didnt answer yet.... 

However, i red your blog post and now it is clearly NOT A PUGL & PLAY solution.... even akitio or bizon2 because depends mac for mac , depends by luck (as I thought).... so, maybe now, is not the time to buy this kind of device/kit. Ok, you can spend around 300-500 euros and (maybe) you have a new computer, but it depends for too many variants .... 

I red about Adobe CC , maybe there is no improvements because some APPS works/using CPU, not GPU.

On 10/4/2016 at 0:18 AM, taradda13 said:

---if i have an electronic company , it is impossible to create/build a product/adaptor and sell at customers,working!? ...because some products (thunderbolt or what?) are trademark products/logos?

why this project was banned/closed?

Yes, I think you're correct. Thunderbolt is a patented technology created by Intel, and if you want to add a Thunderbolt port into your new device, you need to get a license or even a special part/board from Intel.

I didn't understand if Bizon is clearly a copy of Akitio.... and if Akitio is a something like opensource project? Or what is opensource... the code that allow at enclosure to works with mac? thx

I wouldn't call BizonBox a copy of AKiTiO. It is essentially a "package" that includes:

1. AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure;
  2. videocard, which they can install for you into the enclosure;
  3. power supply, NOT made by AKiTiO or Bizon;
  4. manual - written by Bizon - but it requires you to install open-source software developed by other people.

So Bizon did not invent anything and you can certainly build it yourself if you want. I just didn't have time for that.

I'm wondering now, what is the best option for a newbie or even better, for a common user which do not understand anything of electronic, video cards, but he just only wants an upgrade for his mac for work better on photoshop,3d blender and similiar.... Is AKITIO plug & play like --- i know you hate em all - BizonBox2 just say for all high-end graphic cards (some highest card only for windows)

My recommendation: save up for a faster Mac, e.g. iMac 2015. This is what we did. I don't know about Blender 3D, but Photoshop doesn't need a very fast GPU. It also depends on what effects/filters you use most often. Some filters do not benefit from a faster GPU at all.

5 hours ago, taradda13 said:

Yes i m sorry for asking that. But still some question didnt answer yet.... 

However, i red your blog post and now it is clearly NOT A PUGL & PLAY solution.... even akitio or bizon2 because depends mac for mac , depends by luck (as I thought).... so, maybe now, is not the time to buy this kind of device/kit. Ok, you can spend around 300-500 euros and (maybe) you have a new computer, but it depends for too many variants .... 

I red about Adobe CC , maybe there is no improvements because some APPS works/using CPU, not GPU.

It depends, yes. Is GPU what really holds your work back? A newer Mac will get you a faster GPU, CPU, memory, maybe even disk. E.g. the SSD of MacBook Pro Retina from 2015 is 1.5–2.5 times faster than SSD of MacBook Pro Retina from 2013, and up to 4 times faster than a typical SATA 3 SSD found in Windows PCs and Macs made before 2012. (Now I'm going off-topic...)

Adobe Premiere certainly does use GPU for acceleration. I can turn GPU acceleration off in Project settings and it would become unusable when loaded with 4K video footage.

On 9.10.2016 at 0:04 AM, 死道友不死贫道 said:

This thing ... 

MacBook Pro and  macOS 10.12 with external GPU and external screen, but I don't wanna use another display device, I want play games with eGPU and display by MacBook Pro's retina screen.

Only in windows!

9 minutes ago, 死道友不死贫道 said:

That's made me disappointed, I wanna to use eGPU with macOS. I love MacBook Pro and macOS

I have seen it reported that, just like Windows users without NVidia Optimus, it's possible to start your *windowed* app on an externally attached LCD and drag it across to the internal LCD. With windows it's then possible to use a DVI or VGA dummy to simulate an external LCD and use apps like Actual/Ultramon window managers to drag the app from the pseudo external LCD for display on the internal LCD.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys I do not offend anyone, but you are completely out of common sense ...

If you need macOS, buy Apple product

If you need macOS with good performance, buy more expensive Apple product 

If you need very good performance at cheap price, build your own setup with Windows

WHen you are using eGPU you are just trying to make Mercedes out of Dacia and repeatedly complaining - omg that damned Dacia engine does not fit into Mercedes!? My drivers do not work ?! Thunderbolt is licensed:( 

Just stick to two options - you pay lot of money for some Apple workstation or you can build i7, highend GTX setup with less than 1000EUR and it will RUN and it will be plug&play. Adobe Premiere or After Effects is the same in Windows, you do not need any macOS features there. Blender, CAD, Photoshop everything.

Alienware is something completely different, because the hardware is completely under their control - the both parts (eGPU and notebook) want to be inter-connected. Whereas with Apple - if you stick some stupid eGPU thing in MacBook where Intel does not want it and Apple does not want it, what are you awaiting? Flying bananas?

As I said, with 1000EUR you can build such setup, which will beat any eGPU shitty system. Howgh.

On 22/12/2016 at 3:53 AM, dream3 said:

Guys, are the significant differences among the SONET ECHO, BIZON and OWC Helios enclosures?

I would like to use a gtx 1080 to play games and run heavy 3d softwares while in bootcamp.

If you do not have money, do not buy anything. Otherwise Mac Pro or Windows setup as my post above.

Edited by mejmoo