Video Editing Laptop?

gh0st

Question

Hi looking for a video editing laptop, or a laptop with e-gpu, or a portable tower. Transcoding, rendering (After Effects), Avid or Premiere.

I'll also need to do things such as recording display from other computers (streams). Still have to figure out how that will be done. If possible record both my screen, and anothers at same time.

Thing is I want to upgrade once thunderbolt 3 comes out so don't want to spend too much. Thinking around $1,500-2,000.

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

8 answers to this question

Im using Eurcom Panther 5 (Clevo 570wm) and it is a great workstation with IvyBridge E hexa core with Hyperthreading. They can be configured up to 980M Sli and they have all the rendering cards as well to meet your needs. They are not very cheap. It depends how long your waiting to upgrade again.

What kind of stuff are you rendering? If you want Thunderbolt 3, you'll need a mobile skylake CPU anyway. So no one can recommend anything atm.

IF you are going for cost-efficiency a portable tower will be a far better choice. Of course you lose the portability advantages of the laptop (integrated display and keyboard).

Also: What resolution do you want to capture? There are HDMI capture cards (in case you go with tower). Why not capture the video on the other PC using a software solution?

Amazon has a Dell XPS UHD 15 for $1709.99 which should do well for your purposes with enough left over for maybe a larger SSD or another 1 TB HDD

• Intel Core i7 4712HQ 2.3 GHz Processor
  • 16 GB DDR3L SDRAM; NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5
  • 1 TB HDD + 32 GB SSD Storage; No Optical Drive
  • 15.6 Inch UHD (3840x2160) LED-lit Truelife Touchscreen
  • Windows 8.1 Operating System; Silver Chassis

I dig mw86 said. Eurocom has everything pro built in **raid, e-gpu, ram expansion, xeons **. If your encoding h264 with premiere pro/ame. Just note that the 900 series geforce won't use cude for encoding. Nvidia changed the way it encodes videos from NVCUVENC to NVENC with almost none supports. SUCKS. Try to go for an eight core with the Panther 5SE

So with the fact that Premiere now takes advantage of Quick Sync, even UHD graphics can scrub smoothly while editing. Nice! I'm getting the XPS 13 which is basically the same spec as this laptop.

Late response, but for others looking for a video editing laptop, I've got a suggestion. The XPS 13 seems like a solid choice, especially with Premiere's Quick Sync support for smooth editing, even with UHD graphics. And hey, it fits your budget range!
By the way, nowadays, editing videos has become easier with the wide range of online tools available. Just stumbled upon a post on how to cut a video, which might be helpful. Anyway, I'm new here on the forum, but excited to join the discussion. Cheers!

Edited by usmanjamilu

Sorry for the delayed response, but if anyone is looking for a video editing solution, I have a recommendation. Consider checking out SolveigMM for your video editing needs. It offers a wide range of features and is especially great when paired with Windows Media Player for seamless video and audio editing. Plus, it's budget-friendly too!
Speaking of video editing, nowadays there are various online tools that make the process easier. I recently came across a helpful post on how to trim audio in Windows Media Player  https://www.solveigmm.com/en/howto/how-to-edit-your-video-and-audio-within-windows-media-player/ using SolveigMM, which you might find useful. By utilizing their guide on how to edit your video and audio within Windows Media Player, you can enhance your editing skills and create amazing videos.
As a newcomer to this forum, I'm excited to be a part of the discussion. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. Cheers!