Intel unveils Thunderbolt 3.0, mentions eGPUs (Skylake 6th-gen i-core)

abe

29 minutes ago, Morv said:

That's not the successor of the Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box, that thing still has to be released. This thing is only for HDD/SSD usage as you named it by RAID storage enclosure. So your further thoughts are irrelevant. Wait for the proper Thunder3 PCIe Box or whatever they're going to name it.

You're right, my fault, need to pay more attention thanks.

Edited by davide445

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, davide445 said:

Any way to discover what laptop does in fact have TB3/USBC interface + other option I'm interested on?

Newegg, Amazon etc does not allow a so detailed filtering, did find only this online shop with more atomic selection

The thunderbolt wiki actually has a pretty extensive list of thunderbolt laptops/products

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Thunderbolt-compatible_devices

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, davide445 said:

Any way to discover what laptop does in fact have TB3/USBC interface + other option I'm interested on?

Newegg, Amazon etc does not allow a so detailed filtering, did find only this online shop with more atomic selection

An up-to-date list is being maintained on TechInferno: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3108-egpu-candidate-system-list/#6th

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it might be the PCIe box, since it looks like the Thunder2 and they are talking about PCIe based SSDs. This is not AKiTiOs external storage for SATA drives!

The link is just a search shopping machine and I selected laptops with TB3... Since it is from europe it might not have the whole list of TB3 laptops. Maybe check out nandos link.

@davide445 Comparing the two shown devices you should've noticed that the one that you showed isn't looking the same as the one in the latest video.

If it's really the Thunder3 shown in the video I'd be disappointed. I thought about an enhanced device similar to the ones Razer and Asus are going to launch but the one in the video would most likely be a simple upgrade to TB3 and a color change. Especially as Akitio was asking us what we'd like to see in the next product. Still, maybe they're going to launch a TB3 Thunder Box for simple PCIe expansions and a dedicated eGPU Thunder box. That'd be nice.

Waiting for the release it is, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

Doubtful, though has anyone gotten their e-gpu to run to internal display?

Nonetheless this Seems critical to me, waiting for reasonable i.e. 150-175 USD TB3 adaptor - before ship.. 

I know the e-gpu to internal display's on the books/in the cards, however when will it happen (From e-gpu and/or NV/Radeon d-gpu)? Thanks.

Is the TB2/3 limitation for external display 120hz/4k? Will 8k 120 or 60hz be possible from the thunderbolt protocol, or's that implementation-variable anteceding the e-gpu outs ? (4k / 8k exernal display) T.V. could/will do all signal interpolation from there.

Thanks all

Edited by MarcEdwards

3 hours ago, Dschijn said:

8k? :frantics:

Why not 16k...

Dual 16k (x, or by 16K) per eye @ 240hz is the min quasi ideal for VR per eye (per Facebook/Occulus and the VR competitors/John Carmack.. Abramovitz from Florida).. It'll be here before you know it.

8k is 7-8500$ now and is (technologically) ready for marketplace, sans color filter (standard LED/s per Quantum-dot re-emitters)/forthcoming OLED improvement, if you're into that sort of thing.. It'll be 2k in 18-24 months, certainly before the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

16k is the beginning of the end. Many people benefit from one more quadrupling. 8k itself will be enough for just about everyone not to distinguish the 'synthetic-pixel-problem.'

Edited by MarcEdwards

6 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Shouldn't we talk about the present and near future? Currently you are just trolling...

8k is very near future (commercial&here already for $8,000, say from LG). Thunderbolt, I believe supports it, and Super MHL has been out since CES-2015....

?

YouTube accepts/has 8k (two genuine-source) uploads, and there's plenty one could already do with such content. Cameras' area already offered that record it. Not sure, have not checked, but RED, with ~ 14 f-stops?? Japanese producers are gearing up for 8k mass('consumer grade' class)market production in the near-future.. maybe mid next year?

Edited by MarcEdwards

In all honestly, best way of getting > 4k@60Hz out of TB3 is with an eGPU that supports it, as new standards and resolutions come along, just upgrade the GPU, which you can certainly afford in that circumstance.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.