[M17x R2] - Dual PSU (2 x 240W)

StamatisX

Cool idea... I'm curious whether this can/will work...

Female jacks which should be compatible click here or here. I don't know about the male parts, but maybe you can hack something together with these.

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 2

• 10 months later...
  • Founder

Still a work in progress since my job is leaving me zero free time now...

post-3-1449499334685_thumb.jpg

What needs to be done is to find a way for proper load balancing (one PSU has 18.5V and the other has 19.7V output) so stay tuned..

post-3-1449499333594_thumb.jpg

post-3-14494993338565_thumb.jpg

post-3-14494993343441_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder
If you manage to get an old Dell XPS M1730 PSU, is exactly the same size as 2x the Alienware M17X-r2s PSU so theoretically you would be able to fit the two psu into the cover (I had XPS m1730)

Christ that must have been a HUGE PSU! Got pics?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

yeah true, the load is not perfectly balanced but it's not that bad either. I see something like 9A on the one and 6A on the other. I don't mind the difference but I guess you could measure the voltage output and use an extra diode to lower it in case there is a difference.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
the load is not perfectly balanced but it's not that bad either. I see something like 9A on the one and 6A on the other.

StamatisX, what is the maximum current you've managed to pull with your setup? Is it 15A? And what was the voltage at the maximum current? Just wondering what your total power consumption was.

Also, you shouldn't need a diode bridge since you aren't rectifying any negative voltage. You only need one diode per power supply input, to make sure that a power supply never sinks any current.