NEWS from Computex 2015

I wasn't even considering cost-effectiveness. I was considering size and dimension limitations; of which a 13" model has quite a bit more than a 17" model. Unless you build a 17" chassis and put a 13" screen in it, making a huge bezel or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I agree. Anything less than 17" with a desktop 6/8 core CPU or mobile Extreme CPU and dual graphics is going to be a massive compromise. Even if you managed to cram it into such a tight space, you'd have to leave out too many important things... like good heat sinks and multiple drive bays for starters... because there is no room for it. That would be a thermal management nightmare.

Sorry, for what model will this designed used? 13.3" body?
Nice looking schematic that reflects a thoughtful design. Now all we need to see is results that prove the concept is truly effective. I am skeptical that it will be in such a small form factor, especially if you enjoy overclocking. I am open and receptive to being pleasantly surprised, but cramming 10 gallons of sand into a 5 gallon bucket has never worked well for me.

Hmmm ... I'm thinking 'mesh-like casing'. No consecutive surfaces, just a bird cage-ish design that'll keep everything in place. Result would work like a giant heat-convector. Really like this concept, but there's no room for a thing called 'battery' (beyond 15 minutes worth, that is), unless you relocate it to the lid.

Hmmm ... I'm thinking 'mesh-like casing'. No consecutive surfaces, just a bird cage-ish design that'll keep everything in place. Result would work like a giant heat-convector. Really like this concept, but there's no room for a thing called 'battery' (beyond 15 minutes worth, that is), unless you relocate it to the lid.

Battery could be built in the palmrest. :) It would have to be very thin, but it's feasible, especially if the goal would be to reach the 15mins runtime. :)

The grey area is battery (below GPUs).

Blue zones, it the PCIe/Power interfaces. Customizable Power/ I / O boards. Separate from motherboard and more or less complex depending model's size. ;)

I find the design quite interesting, from the tinkering I've done with laptops. The unavailability of hdd bays and reliance on M.2 makes the question of storage capacity an expensive proposition. It's built for speed, quad raid would be nice. Your design doesn't seriously take into account the tracking and mobo space spent on providing all those other auxiliary features, such as wlan/wwan/bluetooth/ ports areas, or usage of a possible dock to offload the space used by multiple ports. Would be nice to take some cues from the smartphone market designs to see how they implement low-power, small and quality radios and features, wlan/wwan/3g/audio dac/bluetooth, basically try to reproduce smartphone-level designs to get radio capability on the cheap and small. There may be an option of one hard-drive slot by pushing the CPU out of the center of the machine, and closer to the top, thus keeping it away from the battery and other heat-sensitive components in the bottom area.

I'm also a big fan of the caging designs used by dell precision machines. Beautifully complex, yet tight and packaged. Such a machine would be solid, not overwhelmingly heavy, and a true speed demon.

So long as sufficient space and importance is truly awarded to the cooling system (and so long as we have hundreds of pages of user-mods here at nbr, pushing machines further and further, including cooling mods, adding heatpipes, etc.).

I think we're positioned at the right point in time when we have access to exotic materials (possible use of indium/gallium foil in a high-heatsink pressure design around 100PSI - the heatsinks would be expensive because they'd be required to be machined and lapped to great precision), and to energy-efficient designs that we could reasonably cool 3 spots generating 100W of heat, maybe more.

Your design is still a traditional one, I've been seeing videos of heatsinks much more interesting, that may cut down on cooling space requirements tremendously. Cooler Master's ''kinetic'' engine turns rotating heatsink into a fan - The Tech Report

• 2 weeks later...

I think that, co-creating new concepts based on the revolutionary low-cost technologies like graphene, Clevo can leave copper era and co-create future of electronics, or join to other ODM chasing own tail trying to beat the competition for better barebone for $ 100 piece.

I presented the simplest possible concept-layout HCCH (Hot-Cold-Cold-Hot) for LGA + MXM 3B SLI that is HCCHCCH. Such a combination would be more efficient than previously used CHHC-layout.

You can criticize everything, but first, please suggest a better cooling solution. Size does not matter. Important to attempt.