OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

Good stuff, so no throttling problems now with the modified vBIOS?

No problems at all with throttling. I did crash what seem to be the drivers once but nothing outside the norm. Only wanted to push to get 10k, great mod and very easy to use for any technical person. Now if I can just figure out or understand the invalid results on 3DMark which seem to be modified drivers or something. Their scores seem to be pretty high allow the GPU to be pushed even further with scores 11000/12000. range

New personal best 3DMark11 score...

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

zVaXhval.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There is no a standard answer to this question. It can be overclocked to its functional limit and this will vary by platform, individual CPU, working environment and individual user knowledge. The other thing to consider is what the overclock can accomplish. In some benchmarks a slightly lower overclock may produce better results because the CPU is more efficient and gets more work done than it does when overclocked higher.

Here are examples of what can be achieved with properly working parts, appropriate power settings and the rest of yours ducks are in a row. There are certainly going to be some better examples and many that are not nearly this good.

CPU-Z Validation: 2920XM @ 4.9GHz CPU-Z Validation: 3920XM @ 4.9GHz

That's.a.decent oc... But I don't want to go that high as.it's possible my knowledge is limited.in that respect.

On default.settings.in the bios.mode.3 or level 3 overclock yields.what speed.Mr

Fox

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk

I don't remember. I think something like 4.1GHz on 4 cores. You can tell by looking when you choose it because the multipliers will change accordingly.

Don't leave the default Flex VID (25) because it is way too high. You should be able to run between 0 and 10 flex for OC LV 3 (highest option). Try 0 and if it is stable leave it there. Change the Turbo Time and Power Limits to the maximum.

• 4 weeks later...

New Sky Diver benchmark, moderate GPU overclock with single AC adapter... benching in my recliner :Banane09:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

vtjtHjpl.jpg

OK, so here it is in all of its unfortunate power-crippled, butt-hurting glory... *sigh*

Alienware 18 - 780M SLI - NO GPU OC

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 01W2J2

26oOVXYl.jpg

Alienware 18 max 4.3GHz 780M SLI max GPU OC w/o shutdown

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 01W2J2

S4fGiKXl.jpg

Alienware 18 max 4.5GHz 780M SLI max GPU OC w/o shutdown

rdnehOpl.jpg

Alienware 18 4.5GHz - 780M (1) max stable GPU OC

rDZAg2wl.jpg

lzPSK6B.jpg

Here is something interesting to look it. If nothing else, it demonstrates that the new Alienware 18 has the potential to perform as well as the M18xR2 except for the frustrating power-handling limitation they placed on it.

These two benchmarks were run at the same CPU clock speed and identical GPU core/memory/voltage settings and they probably couldn't be any closer to the same results if I wanted them to.

Fire Strike: Comparison of Alienware 18 versus Alienware M18xR2

Would this get me a rock solid, 24/7 4.2 overclock on all four cores to use without incurring instability and high temps once I unlock my A10 bios?:

3940XM CPU

OverClocking Feature: Enable

Non-Turbo Flex Support: Disabled

Extreme Edition: Enable

Level 1-3 Overclocking: Level 3

Core 1 Ratio Limit: 42

Core 2 Ratio Limit: 42

Core 3 Ratio Limit: 42

Core 4 Ratio Limit: 42

Flex VID Override: 15

Override Turbo Settings: Enable

Long Duration PWR Limit: 99

Long Duration TimeWindow: 56

Short Duration PWR Limit: Enable

Short Duration PWR Limit: 99

Bus Clock Current Frequency 100MHz

New Frequency in 10KHz increments = 100

Memory Overclocking:

Memory Override Support = Enable

Memory Voltage = 1.65 volts

Memory Frequency = 2133

DIMM Profile (XMP) = custom

pri plane 976

c states disabled

Along with these setting changes I will have a custom vbios and plan on having 915 core (958 boost)/ 1125 memory for my 680m SLI config and using the dual 330w psu mod after I build it. I want to get a nice performance boost with manageable temps utilizing core clocks from the GTX670 and GTX 660 Ti without being starved for power. What are your guys' thoughts?

@masteramrs7 It's very likely you can do x42 without any flex VID. A good CPU can do x43 without any added voltage.

The main stability question I see is the memory. Older 8GB sticks cannot do 2133 even at 1.65V, but anything newer or 4GB should be OK with reasonable timings.

@Khenglish I managed to successfully flash the bios and vbios on my M18xr2 and I am experimenting with the VID and multipliers as you stated. I have 4X4GB of the 1866 Kingston Ram. What timings and voltage do you suggest for a 2133 overclock or alternatively at the stock 1866 advertised speed?

I got the flex VID down to 0 with a completely stable four core 4.2 overclock and overclocked the memory to 2133. Temps rarely exceed at 85 degrees with full benchmarking on 3d mark 11. My score jumped from P11476 to P14217 with the overclocks and a graphics overclock of 980/1150. I am very happy with the results!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely amazing results @Mr.Fox I got my M18xR1 in depot and when its back im running a Firestrike for old time sake :))))

Picked up Kingston Impact 8gbx2 @2133L 1.35/1.5v CL11 ram and tested them before my system shipped out. Well they arent loading at their normal timings and go figure I think it has to do with the quirks me and @JohnKss and you ran into already with the M18x R1 motherboard/bios. They are supposed to be 11-11-11-27 they seem to boot to windows at 12-12-12-35? Seems weird as the Jedec is even 12-12-12-36 for that speed as we know as a standard and its loading that with 35 not 36. So something strange going on here. Perhaps my fellow overclocking friends could share a few thoughts on it? They load at 1T because im just using 2 x8gb dimms in dual channel. Loaded fine on the M18xR1 with default volt settings auto.. ie 1.5v for this chipset/motherboard. The chips are certified at all timings on 1.35v and 1.5v according to documentation.

Cheers love the Extreme team lol ;):D

@mw86 What happens when you set the right timings in the BIOS or XTU?

Also do not be surprised if the proper timings are unstable at 1.5V. That memory is meant for haswell, and I'm under the impression that the haswell IMC can run memory faster at 1.35V than SB and IVB can at 1.5V.

And where are you from in upstate NY? I'm from Saratoga and go to RPI.

@mw86 What happens when you set the right timings in the BIOS or XTU?

Also do not be surprised if the proper timings are unstable at 1.5V. That memory is meant for haswell, and I'm under the impression that the haswell IMC can run memory faster at 1.35V than SB and IVB can at 1.5V.

And where are you from in upstate NY? I'm from Saratoga and go to RPI.

Ill have to try that when I get my system back soon. Good point on the timings may differ when in 1.5v Ill have to keep digging for info. XTU used to never work for me and memory but maybe the plug and play works better in xtu on Sandy bridge.

I am from Afton, New York maybe 25 miles east of Binhamton.

Ill have to try that when I get my system back soon. Good point on the timings may differ when in 1.5v Ill have to keep digging for info. XTU used to never work for me and memory but maybe the plug and play works better in xtu on Sandy bridge.

I am from Afton, New York maybe 25 miles east of Binhamton.

Try XTU version 2.1. I know that this is the only one that works right for clevo 6 series laptops. Maybe it will work for AW too.

• Thumbs Up 1