OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

Nope, I make the power available and the CPU decides how much it needs to use. Heat kills and too much static voltage can, too. But, that's not too much for 47x4 or 48x4... There's more available and the CPU is choosing not to use it. Have to be careful about believing some of the stuff you read. Sometimes it's not true. Same settings worked nice for the 2920XM as well.

Ah right, that's interesting, I don't know much about CPU overclocking. Yep, so the CPU is deciding on what voltage to use to keep the CPU stable at the higher frequencies, which are enabled by you freeing up the power limit (or multipliers?). Is it not possible to manually set the voltage you want to use in any way? I'm just thinking that if the CPU is deciding on what voltage it needs to make it stable, then maybe it's using more voltage than it really needs? Maybe if it was possible to set voltage manually, then it could be optimised better to reduce heat while maintaining stability? I'm not questioning your knowledge, I'm questioning mine, you undoubtedly know how it works because you have experience in the overclocking.

Good scores Mr Fox, although lower on the GPU than last time, but I noticed you've taken the CPU higher. 1.5V on the CPU! Don't Intel Chips start to get damaged around about 1.4V? (I've not looked into it for a while, but I've got 1.4V somewhere in my mind from a Guru3D review a while back).

Intel specifies the max core voltage for the 3rd gen mobile CPUs as 1.52V. Of course there's also a current limit (97.5A for the core of the XM) but keep in mind that these are max numbers provided by Intel, it's not like the CPU will blow up if you go above them. For the first gen i7 XMs Intel said the max safe voltage was 1.45V, which is already crazy, cause you will need some serious cooling continuously run the CPU with load at such a voltage. Benching above that voltage didn't harm the chip at all. (Well, I couldn't go much higher anyway since the voltage regulator maxed out at 1.5V :D)

Any CPU will slightly degrade over time, especially with a lot of current flowing through the die, but it's not like your safe from that at 1.3V :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, I'm aware of that, also Pri Plane current limit != Core current limit. Besides, I was just repeating the max limits specified by Intel. This doesn't mean it isn't possible to set it higher, it only means that the voltage regulator needs to support at least those limits. Also Intel says: "Long term reliability cannot be assured in conditions above or below Max / Min functional limits." So consider the limits I quoted as Intel's max safe values.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

did a little bit of playing and came up with this :) i know it's not the max, but it's ok since i have to play with the settings over teamviewer (me @ work - AW18 @ home), then start 3dmark11 and quickly close the teamviewer connection in order for the bench to run without interruption ;-) and of course, i have to be carefull, since if the system locks up, i can wait until i get home to reboot haha ^^

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 01W2J2

post-1903-14494996766908_thumb.jpg

EDIT: crap, sorrryyy for the image size -.- ..... O.o

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
How did you manage that? Can you offer post your settings from the overclocking

Greeting

sure thing, i will do so when i get home!

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty cool considering the EC fan mess.... :D Still room for higher GPU scores provided you can keep the machine cool :P

thx ;-) yeah, f'in EC pos... which makes the second part of your sentence sounding like a joke haha =P

How did you manage that? Can you offer post your settings from the overclocking

Greeting

sorry, took a litte longer, i didn't have any screens of the settings so i had to rebuild them ;-)

so here is a run from today with settings and result. important is to use throttle stop to keep the cpu from throttling, if i DON'T do this, the cpu score will even be a few points higher (funny but true), but the graphics score will go down a lot, sometimes even to the upper 15k... with throttle stop i'm over 17k. if i up the cpu multis, i get a power shutdown at some point (will not try more right now, as i'm benchung over teamviewer again ;-).

have fun playing with your settings.

post-1903-14494996876193_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Excellent scores there Mr Fox, I'm impressed with the core clock you managed to achieve on your 780M SLI! What voltage were you running your GPUs at? How did your temperatures look on the 780M, especially if you were running the free version of the program which means you'd have to go through all the demos too!??

• 4 weeks later...

Those are some amazing scores Mr. Fox, and some impressive overclocking specs on your R2! I honestly don't know how you got that 3930XM to almost 5GHz. I will have to pick your brain on how to eek out a stable OC on a 2920XM that's heading to me from China.

Those are some amazing scores Mr. Fox, and some impressive overclocking specs on your R2! I honestly don't know how you got that 3930XM to almost 5GHz. I will have to pick your brain on how to eek out a stable OC on a 2920XM that's heading to me from China.

This thread may or may not help you, depending on what system you have, but some parts might be useful:

[Guide] Overclocking the 2920XM/2960XM CPUs in the M17x R3 with/without Modded bios.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...