OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

Nice! Congrats, bro. Very glad that mod is working out well for you.

Finally got the new Alienware 18 running well enough to beat my M18xR2 in Fire Strike. This is as high as I can overclock the GPUs without tripping the AC adapter. Will try the dual-330W now that I have found the max OC potential using just one AC adapter.

Looks like our Fire Strike CPU scores are very similar with the 4930MX at 4.5GHz and the 3940XM at 4.6GHz.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 18

owGBEL7l.jpg

Nice! Congrats, bro. Very glad that mod is working out well for you.

Finally got the new Alienware 18 running well enough to beat 680M SLI my M18xR2 in Fire Strike. This is as high as I can overclock the GPU without tripping the AC adapter. Will try the dual-330W now that I have found the max OC potential using just one AC adapter.

Looks like our Fire Strike CPU scores are very similar with the 4930MX at 4.5GHz and the 3940XM at 4.6GHz.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 18

J3YyhT2l.jpg

I may try flashing the RAM with Thaiphoon Burner. Not sure yet. The new machines have the "L" modules, so before I take the risk, I may test some of my other memory (non-L) to see if it works properly. If it does, I might flash my spare G-SKILL memory modules and leave the stock stuff alone.

[MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] I checked orb and I am consistently seeing ~12.5k physics on haswells at your clock speeds. If memory is not the issue then maybe your microcode is not being updated for your ES? You can check with HWinfo64.

Here's a 4770k getting 12.4k physics and 11.8k combined with weaker gpu performance at 4.5ghz:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4770K,MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX (MS-7815)

Well, there could be a number of things. Yes, the ES CPU is certainly a possible cause, since it is not uncommon for them to not perform quite as well as an OEM CPU. The microcode version is 12. It was version 8 originally, so it seems it may be getting updated. I don't know that the 4930MX will perform exactly the same as a 4770K, but it should be a little better. It might be the RAM. It could also be the power issues. This thing really struggles to stay turned on with one AC adapter when the CPU and GPU are both overclocked, and it often shuts down even using ThrottleStop profiles to toggle the CPU clocks. The CPU does some sort of odd rhythmic core clock throttling thing sometimes without any evidence of temperature-based throttling and I suspect it might be power depletion. (The CPU does not do that when the GPUs are not overclock and overvolted. I've never seen anything like that before, but I can watch it running the 32-bit 3DMark11.) When I get around to testing with the dual PSU setup I guess we will find out whether or not that is affecting it... been too busy with other things at home and work, but will check into this soon.

Oh you're running the 32bit? Well that's the main reason. I lose 900 points running 32bit vs 64bit.
I guess Mr.Fox uses the 32bit version only for monitoring use... the OSD doesn't work on the 64bit version.
Right... I only use the 32-bit version when I need to see what is going on (troubleshooting) using OSD, not for benchmarking for scores. That run was with the 64-bit version. I still think it is a power depletion problem, but haven't had time to try the dual AC adapter to see if that helps. Too much stuff needs to be done at once right now, LOL.

On the subject of HWBOT.org banning Windows 8, here is an interesting comparison with Windows 7. In this example, the skewed numbers actually go the wrong direction to provide an advantage to Windows 8 users. Not a revelation because we had already verified that Windows 8 often hinders CPU performance. This is with identical CPU/BIOS settings. I simply booted from one OS to the other.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Windows 8 Pro x64