OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

As a reference/comparison with AW:

Santech G37 / Clevo P370SM3

780M SLI @1050/6000 1.1v (have a feeling that could afford something more, only tried 1100 but it crashes, but maybe 1060/1070/1080 works).

4930mx @4.0ghz (could probably push a bit more, 4.2/4.3, but the cooling system for CPU in clevo is pretty poor here)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Notebook P370SM3

Total: P14974

Graphics Score: 19052

Physics Score: 9241

Combined Score: 8941

This is on a single 330W adapter. Not bad I would say 19k with a single adapter, in the 'poor' clevo ;-)

Can anyone share some settings for pushing 4.2/4.3 on XTU on the 4930mx?

I tried several by looking at the ones on hwbot/etc.. but they all failed to apply (instant crash), when I try.

I'm a clueless n00b here, some help from the 'pros' (mr fox / johnkss / etc..) would be very appreciated.

The cooling system on the CPU is very poor and probably also the stock paste is bad, throttling a bit even on 4.0x4 after 2-3 minutes of XTU stress testing, but for short 3dmark 11 benching would work at 4.2/4.3 probably, if I can manage to find a setting that 'sticks'.

Even tried TS6b1, but couldn't make it work, fixing the multipler at 42/43T did nothing at all on my 4930mx.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 18 - P15695 3DMarks

BJIZWbGl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Getting better :) - drivers helped.

Can you please post a link to your new Alienware wallpaper for download?

If you are attempting to use HWiNFO64 for fan control, that is why your GPUs get too hot. On the new Alienware the GPU fans stop working and GPUs over heat if you attempt to use HWiNFO64. Only use stock EC fan profiles for best result. Alienware needs to fix this and they are aware of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some memory overclocking. For those that are not sure what to look for, what you see on the CPU-Z Memory tab is what I am running. The SPD tab shows the memory defaults. I might be able to get a little more of a memory overclock, but I am surprised I am able to use the 1866 timings. This is running 1.65v.

I think these are pretty tight timings for 2133 and they pass the Dell ePSA memory test with flying colors.

70tfVlNl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a very good friend, I now have 780M SLI in my M18xR2.

This is my very first run on 3DMark11 with a tiny little +105 overclock on core and stock memory clocks, stock voltage, sitting my lap in the living room watching TV with no AC cooling or anything special. I am impressed.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

ZxJ3CHhl.jpg

Parting with 680M SLI was a bittersweet thing. It served me extremely well. But, this is something new and if this first run out of the chute is an indication of what is to come this is going to be loads of fun.

[FONT=arial]OMG! 780M are beasts! Dual 330W AC Adapter FTW!!! [/FONT]

Now, I'm definitely going to have to do this with AC cooling and a higher CPU overclock this weekend. Amazing... even one runs as well as 7970M CrossFire :Banane22:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 - P16678 3DMarks NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 - P10112 3Marks

[FONT=arial]OMG! 780M are beasts! Dual 330W AC Adapter FTW!!!

[/FONT]

Now, I'm definitely going to have to do this with AC cooling and a higher CPU overclock this weekend. Amazing... even one runs as well as 7970M CrossFire :Banane22:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 - P16678 3DMarks NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 - P10112 3Marks

Wow, great benchmarks. I might have to try your dual ac adapter mod.

Here are some new scores... 3DMark11 and Vantage appear to be new records... at least for the moment. That 11.7 CFM CPU fan I grabbed from PCHub.com made an improvement in temps. (The original fan was 4 CFM.)

3DMark11: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 - P17029 3DMarks Vantage: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 - P48159 3Marks
Fire Strike: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 - 10554 3Marks Fire Strike Extreme: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M SLI benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 - 5572 3Marks

[FONT=arial]Valley 1.0 Extreme HD Preset[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Heaven 4.0 Extreme Preset[/FONT]

Final Fantasy XIV Catzilla - 9874

I know many have been anxiously waiting for me to report on this.

There is nothing wrong with the dual AC adapter mod as it relates to the AW18. I did a lot more testing and it works for the AW18, but provides no benefit. By "working", I mean the AW18 works perfectly with it connected. It identifies it as a 330W AC adapter and functions flawlessly. By "no benefit", I mean that the AW18 turns off at the same point regardless of whether I have the single or the dual AC adapter connected. If I heavily overclock the CPU and GPU, and/or if I over-volt the 780Ms higher than 1.025V to try to get killer benchmark scores like the M18xR2 the AW18 turns itself off. This happens at the same load point without tripping the AC adapter circuit breakers on the dual AC adapter mod. It also shuts itself off without tripping the single AC adapter circuit breaker most of the time.

There must be some sort of power regulator or current protection added to the system that turns it off once a certain power demand threshold is reached. That, or the motherboard circuitry is not as robust as the M18xR1/R2 and it is unable to handle the same power demands. I have no idea which is true, but having the system power itself down is certainly going to be an impediment for number chasers trying to beat the M18xR2 with a new AW18.

@usmc362 - have you tried your dual AC adapter on the AW18 yet? Does your AW18 exhibit the same behavior as the one I am using?

[FONT=arial]Game Benchmarks[/FONT]

M18xR2 | 3920XM @ 4.3GHz | GTX 780M SLI @ 980/1400 1.0v All games set to maximum graphics settings

(Click images to enlarge in a new window)
Alan Wake Alan Wake's American Nightmare Call of Juarez - DX10
Metro 2033 - DX9 Metro 2033 - DX11 Gears of War for Windows
BioShock Infinite Batman: Arkham City Aliens vs Predator

I know many have been anxiously waiting for me to report on this.

There is nothing wrong with the dual AC adapter mod as it relates to the AW18. I did a lot more testing and it works for the AW18, but provides no benefit. By "working", I mean the AW18 works perfectly with it connected. It identifies it as a 330W AC adapter and functions flawlessly. By "no benefit", I mean that the AW18 turns off at the same point regardless of whether I have the single or the dual AC adapter connected. If I heavily overclock the CPU and GPU, and/or if I over-volt the 780Ms higher than 1.025V to try to get killer benchmark scores like the M18xR2 the AW18 turns itself off. This happens at the same load point without tripping the AC adapter circuit breakers on the dual AC adapter mod. It also shuts itself off without tripping the single AC adapter circuit breaker most of the time.

There must be some sort of power regulator or current protection added to the system that turns it off once a certain power demand threshold is reached. That, or the motherboard circuitry is not as robust as the M18xR1/R2 and it is unable to handle the same power demands. I have no idea which is true, but having the system power itself down is certainly going to be an impediment for number chasers trying to beat the M18xR2 with a new AW18.

@usmc362 - have you tried your dual AC adapter on the AW18 yet? Does your AW18 exhibit the same behavior as the one I am using?

Clevo cut back on voltage regulation with their haswell laptops (CPU regulation cut from 3 phase to 2). Maybe AW did the same? AW did cut the battery from 12 cell to 8 right? The new AW18 looks inferior to the old m18x R2 to me.

Also could you tell more about your fan replacement?