OFFICIAL: M18x Benchmarking Thread

StamatisX

• 2 weeks later...

I love your work riri fifi. Great clocks. 1050 core was my max or 1675mem but only one at time. Both overclocked id only survive 995-1560. Great job indeed. Any particular driver?

• 3 weeks later...

My best score thus far is P10740, Graphics 11233, Physical 10788, w/ combined 8044 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 score: P10740 3DMarks)

My system is an R2 w/ OC 4.4 all coures 3920XM and SLI OV/OC 999Mhz Card0 w/ mem at 2050 & 800Mhz CPU Card1 mem 1800. The SLI is configured with PhysX being processed by the CPU with SLI/Max3D on. Additionally, the system is supported by a verified, cached RAID 5 SSD's w/ WEI 7.9.

BIOS is set w/ all C-states off, memory at 2133 1.55V, Extreme edition of 4.4 all 4 coures, FLEX 40, Time window 5 sec, and Long/Short term TDP at 99 each. The bus speed is 105mHz and the overall effect on my 16GB of ram is 1900+MHZ.

I disabled themes, its a clean install Win7U fully updated and with minimal servies/startup apps running. I set the 3DMark 11 Basic Edition to high over all CPU's.

lastly, my max GPU temp is 82c w/ CPU 95c for a very short duration.

Shouldn't I be getting higher benchmarks than this? What are some other tweaks I should look into?

• Thumbs Up 1

My best score thus far is P10740, Graphics 11233, Physical 10788, w/ combined 8044 (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 score: P10740 3DMarks)

My system is an R2 w/ OC 4.4 all coures 3920XM and SLI OV/OC 999Mhz Card0 w/ mem at 2050 & 800Mhz CPU Card1 mem 1800. The SLI is configured with PhysX being processed by the CPU with SLI/Max3D on. Additionally, the system is supported by a verified, cached RAID 5 SSD's w/ WEI 7.9.

BIOS is set w/ all C-states off, memory at 2133 1.55V, Extreme edition of 4.4 all 4 coures, FLEX 40, Time window 5 sec, and Long/Short term TDP at 99 each. The bus speed is 105mHz and the overall effect on my 16GB of ram is 1900+MHZ.

I disabled themes, its a clean install Win7U fully updated and with minimal servies/startup apps running. I set the 3DMark 11 Basic Edition to high over all CPU's.

lastly, my max GPU temp is 82c w/ CPU 95c for a very short duration.

Shouldn't I be getting higher benchmarks than this? What are some other tweaks I should look into?

I don't have time to check my scores but, my highest score is 12943 I think and that is with svl7's 900mhz core clock with OV plus the 135+mhz allowed to OC. My memory for gpu0 is 2700mhz and gpu 1 is 2400mhz.

My processor is set at 50 flex 46 46 46 46 with the rest of the same settings as you. I am also running 1600 on the Pri Plane.

CPU is dedicated to Physx as well.

I am running my system with it sitting on an AC.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just ran this bench. And I have to say I am stunned with the score. I think I had the highest score according to 3dmark previous to this run with a 12949.

Only thing different is my ram speeds and the removal of the Dell provided ram.

Here is the 3dmark link of my before and after benches.

Result

And a screenie.

85293d1349322592-official-alienware-m18x-benchmark-thread-part-2-3dmark11-13131.jpg

And this is ran with svl7's 900mhz core vbios.

• Thumbs Up 2

CPU Validation Freq : 4903.33 MHz (100.07 * 49) [FONT=Verdana] Freq : [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]4906.07 MHz[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] (104.38 * 47) [/FONT]
---------------------------------- [FONT=arial black]GTX 680M SLI [/FONT] 3DMark11: P12875 | Vantage: P40582 | 3Dmark06: T B D | 3DMark05: T B D Screen shots are in the spoiler...
---------------------------------- [FONT=arial black]HD 7970M CrossFire [/FONT] 3DMark11: P11536 | Vantage: P37870 | 3DMark06: 33117 | 3DMark05: 40830 Screen shots are in the spoiler...
---------------------------------- [FONT=arial black]GTX 580M SLI [/FONT] 3DMark11: P8593 | Vantage: P32676 | 3DMark06: 32569 | 3DMark05: 39934 Screen shots are in the spoiler...
Spoiler

3DMark11: P8593

Spoiler

Vantage: P32676
Spoiler

3DMark06: 32569
Spoiler

3DMark05: 39934
Spoiler

CPU Validation Freq : 4903.33 MHz (100.07 * 49) [FONT=Verdana] Freq : [/FONT][FONT=Verdana]4906.07 MHz[/FONT][FONT=Verdana] (104.38 * 47) [/FONT]

---------------------------------- [FONT=arial black]GTX 680M SLI [/FONT] 3DMark11: P12875 | Vantage: P40582 | 3Dmark06: T B D | 3DMark05: T B D Screen shots are in the spoiler...
---------------------------------- [FONT=arial black]HD 7970M CrossFire [/FONT] 3DMark11: P11536 | Vantage: P37870 | 3DMark06: 33117 | 3DMark05: 40830 Screen shots are in the spoiler...
---------------------------------- [FONT=arial black]GTX 580M SLI [/FONT] 3DMark11: P8593 | Vantage: P32676 | 3DMark06: 32569 | 3DMark05: 39934 Screen shots are in the spoiler...
Spoiler

3DMark11: P8593

Spoiler

Vantage: P32676
Spoiler

3DMark06: 32569
Spoiler

3DMark05: 39934
Spoiler

------------------------------------

Nice work Brother Fox!

Mr. FOX rox :) nice work! Those scores are quite awesome. I like how the 680m at those clocks has over 100gtexels each card. At 1050mhz 7970m doesn't even reach that. Nice comparison of last gen and this generation of cards. 4.9ghz and 4.8ghz on the two benches is an awesome cpu clock. Keep up the amazing work. How are you enjoying the 680m SLI at this point?

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Thanks @mw86! Yup, really liking the 680M a lot. These are awesome GPUs. They game even more phenomenally than they bench, which is pretty amazing in itself.

Man I miss my 680m already although these 7970s are working decently in all games. They just suck at overclocking.

Sent from my GT-N7000

I agree Brian for now ive moved up to 990-1325-1.05v for gaming and seems good in temps for mine and gaming. Still tinkering. I hadn't had much function of them for months. 12.9 beta 7900mod driver has allowed me to game finally. Brian yours may need to stick to lower volts to get higher rather than the other way around. Some act weird on extra volts from card to card. Try starting low on stock volt.

Thanks @mw86! Yup, really liking the 680M a lot. These are awesome GPUs. They game even more phenomenally than they bench, which is pretty amazing in itself.

So most games you find you can run at higher overclocks than the other benchmarks? Some ways that makes full sense since those benches are a bit over most games... But I also see games like Metro and BF3 and such can sometimes reveal the need to go lower on the overclock. Example still tinkering but Dirt3 i can game fine at 1040mhz core 1625mhz vram @ 1.1v and wasn't overly hot. I load BF3 and play for extended periods that destabilizes. The vram clock especially. The volts especially. So i try that on BF3 and it did better at stock volt 990core no probs yet even 990core at 1.075v and 1.1v balked at me over time. 1625mhz vram in BF3 seemed to add to the destabilization the same so been working vram back up since atleast 990core was fine once on stock volt. See i had found on Dirt3 at 990-1375-1.075v a good range before i went up to the higher volt, core and vram. When the higher one failed in bf3 i tried as mentioned the 990 config to find the volts held it back and using stock allowed 990 to work then in BF3. So for 7970m it really takes some tinkering to get a feel for your cards.

So MrFox for your new 680m sli what do you find as a good range for gaming using most of the potential available ie not a conservative overclock but one you feel seems stable in most games you may try? :) sorry for the big question.

• Founder
I agree Brian for now ive moved up to 990-1325-1.05v for gaming and seems good in temps for mine and gaming. Still tinkering. I hadn't had much function of them for months. 12.9 beta 7900mod driver has allowed me to game finally. Brian yours may need to stick to lower volts to get higher rather than the other way around. Some act weird on extra volts from card to card. Try starting low on stock volt.

I was just thinking about how most 7970s don't have equal voltages. In my case, even when I raise the voltage for both cards, only GPU 2 shows the increase while GPU 1 stays at 1.000v. I was thinking maybe if I swapped them and then flashed the slave card again, both cards would then have the same voltage. Who knows, just a theory but it might work and enable higher overclocking. BTW my GPU's don't get hot at all, I'm at 950/1400 and max temps are 73C for both.

• Founder
Do you think that is a bug or both cards read the vbios differently when over clocking?

Hard to say, I do think its being read correctly because when I flashed to a 1000 mhz + higher voltage, GPU2 showed the change but GPU 1's voltage didn't change and 3dmark11 crashed right away as expected. I think if I tried the swap (or someone else did) it might just work but we won't know until its done.

Watching afterburner osd with hwinfo volt reading i have seen very weird behavior too that meirrors your recant Brian, Mr Foxs and anyone else who observed strange volt readings. Seems as some have mentioned some or even all suffer problems switching volts and some dont even show the right volts. I dont see it being fixed flashing both from primary mxm slot with same vbios in two different sittings. Seems they really act random and faulty. I game on BF3 but turn around and same clocks dont survive 3dmark and next day they will. Ive had probs getting consistent results even when they stay stock. I like yhe 7970m but they truly are quirky.

Man I miss my 680m already although these 7970s are working decently in all games. They just suck at overclocking.

@Brian, I knew you were going to start missing those 680M beasts right away. After about of month of living with the 7970M Crossfire setup, I was wishing I still had my 580M SLI setup. Although not as powerful, at least it did everything I wanted it to do extremely well. The 7970M Crossfire setup left a lot to be desired in my experience, despite its brute force.

Do you think that is a bug or both cards read the vbios differently when over clocking?

It has to be the individual cards and not something externally that is influencing the behavior. I have seen examples of that issue concerning voltage in a number of 7970M cards posted about in multiple forums. The second set of more seriously borked 7970M cards that I received to replace the first set had that problem with the voltage right out of the box. The original 7970M GPUs always had the correct voltage, whether stock or altered with the vBIOS Patcher... always right on the money. Using the vBIOS patcher to try and correct it had no effect on the second set of cards. They always showed the incorrect voltage. On one card it was 3D state that was off, and the other card the 2D state was out of whack. Also, the 7970M cards in the M18x R2 that Riri-Fifi had were like this, but it did not affect his ability to overclock the dog dukey out of them.

To see something interesting, start both of these videos at the same time... the second video runs longer, but the demo part is interesting to watch side-by-side. The overclock core and memory values on the actual benchmark results are very similar, even though one overall score is quite a bit higher than the other. If you run both in 1080p, you should be able to read the OSD monitoring on both videos.

Here is another interesting side-by-side comparison of my best overclocked 3DMark11 results with each GPU. Look at the individual test results in each run.

p11536.png

p12875s.jpg

• Founder

@Mr. Fox thanks for those videos and btw I noticed the same thing right away, that the framerate for each individual test was much higher with the 680M vs 7970M even if the overall score isn't much different. Oh and about missing the 680M, bro to quote a song from the 90s, I'm missing it like the desert misses the rain lol! To be fair I'd be ok with these things if they worked right but I suspect they are defective.

Also notice the micro-stuttering and faint bit of jerkiness with the 7970M? The 680M is noticeably smoother.

My 7970M CF setup did a fairly decent job of gaming, too. Not much complaint there on my part, to be honest about it. A few games (like Skyrim) balked at the 7970M, but there are almost always some tweaks that will fix what doesn't do right. Although, I must say that my gaming experience overall was better with the 580M SLI setup I had before them. The image sharpness, color quality and smoothness was better with 580M SLI, and it is likewise better with 680M SLI.

@Mr. Fox thanks for those videos and btw I noticed the same thing right away, that the framerate for each individual test was much higher with the 680M vs 7970M even if the overall score isn't much different. Oh and about missing the 680M, bro to quote a song from the 90s, I'm missing it like the desert misses the rain lol! To be fair I'd be ok with these things if they worked right but I suspect they are defective.

They mostly are and its been a waste of over half a year for me. What do you do with defective cards when AMD says they aren't?