Overclocking alienware m14x

kadaj

Hello I have had my m14x r2 for 3 years now and I recently opened it and cleaned it and repasted the cpu and GPU. I really want to improve its performance byoverclocking the cpu and gpu.

I am new to the forums and I have been seeing a lor of ways of doing this. But most of the post are old, What is recommended now? What do you guys recommend me?

From wut i am researching, if your bios is not unlocked, then your max oc limit for core clock speed is +135 MHz, and memory clock speed is 1000 MHz (you can use msi afterbunner or nvidia inspector to do the overclocking, usually try with 5-10 MHz increase everytime and do a stress test to ensure your gpu won't crush), i suggest u can raise your core clock speed to +135 and memory clock speed to +500 as a start, it is pertty stable for my case :].

However if you don't satisfy for the performance increase, you can always do a bios unlock and go over +135 MHz for maximum improvement, but just remember it will dramatically increase your gpu and cpu temp. Hope it will help you to start. :D

• 2 months later...
From wut i am researching, if your bios is not unlocked, then your max oc limit for core clock speed is +135 MHz, and memory clock speed is 1000 MHz (you can use msi afterbunner or nvidia inspector to do the overclocking, usually try with 5-10 MHz increase everytime and do a stress test to ensure your gpu won't crush), i suggest u can raise your core clock speed to +135 and memory clock speed to +500 as a start, it is pertty stable for my case :].

However if you don't satisfy for the performance increase, you can always do a bios unlock and go over +135 MHz for maximum improvement, but just remember it will dramatically increase your gpu and cpu temp. Hope it will help you to start. :D

I agree with this. I'm limited to +135 boost on core clock eventhough I have some room as my GPU doesn't go over 61 degrees fully loaded so I'm planning to flash a vbios to get some more performance out of it.

What CPU do you have? If it's locked multiplier (3610QM) just forget it. I've overclocked mine via FSB to 106mhz, which resulted in close something like 3.5 GHZ but I also killed two A-data Msata SSD's in a row and I suspect it might have been the FSB overclock's fault. I got them replaced under warranty though. Just keep in mind, that na FSB overclock WILL overclock everything else.

• 1 month later...

I'm also hoping to oc my m14x r2 but there's no point even doing the +135 boost without unlocking the bios because my computer goes to 67+ after 1 minute of gaming and throttling kicks in. So without being able to change the 67*C limit there's no point in overclocking because it wont do anything. Buying this computer couple years ago was such a huge mistake, will never buy another Dell/Alienware piece of **** again.

• 3 months later...