Gaming Performances & Behaviours

w4vz

Umm..I think GTX 970 cannot provide more data than the TB1 can afford, I guess.

Or you can just install windows to test which part goes wrong?

The fact that TB1 is a bottleneck has already been well documented on the forum. Sorry i don't have the link cause im on my phone right now. But as i also said this has also a lot to do with the game code itself as OSX is not as good as windows. On simple unity style portage; Windows seem to give much better performances but we have not had a direct comparison yet. I don't have windows so i cannot do it. That said i have parallels. I might give it a go this weekend just for fun.

If that's true I have to reconsider about buying GTX970 or GTX960 since my Macbook only has TB1. I am sure that TB1 is a bottlenect for GTX980 but not sure about GTX970.....

BTW, do you know what kind of games are CPU-dependent, like SC2 or GTA V? Is there a thread talking about it?Or is there a list of games that require high-end CPU?

Since my i5 processor is really poor and I don't want to waste money if there are so many games that I cannot play.

The 960 might be the best suited for TB1 in term of matching but buying a 970 or 980 is not going to degrade performances and might be more future proof.

I don't know which games are more CPU dependant but you should NOT worry about your I5. It is good enough for sure.

The only thing you should be worry about is the pcie bandwith required for the game but there is no thread or info about that yet. You'll have to take the plunge.

If anyone more with more knowledge on that can comment that would be welcome.

The 960 might be the best suited for TB1 in term of matching but buying a 970 or 980 is not going to degrade performances and might be more future proof.

I don't know which games are more CPU dependant but you should NOT worry about your I5. It is good enough for sure.

The only thing you should be worry about is the pcie bandwith required for the game but there is no thread or info about that yet. You'll have to take the plunge.

If anyone more with more knowledge on that can comment that would be welcome.

Like ba10s118 wCaeCBlugFf8ZLjMcxmEFIUdiB8NDAQCN4zEB1yrxHwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==said in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10224-i-just-want-confirm-before-purchasing-questions.html

The i5 on macbook air is not the typical one.

I have no idea about the pcie bandwith. Maybe @Dschijn would know something about that?

Like ba10s118 wCaeCBlugFf8ZLjMcxmEFIUdiB8NDAQCN4zEB1yrxHwAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==said in http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/10224-i-just-want-confirm-before-purchasing-questions.html

The i5 on macbook air is not the typical one.

I have no idea about the pcie bandwith. Maybe @Dschijn would know something about that?

My take on that is that since my I3 was good enough for me and I mean by that great to play at 1080p with upscaled internal rendering (the nvidia tech) full details in wow and elite; technically even a slightly less fast I5 has to be good enough as long as you don't do heavy multitasking and the game is well optimised for OS X if not using windows.

Nowadays GPU do the vast majority of the work and the trend will continue to go that way, CPU only handling simple operations so I would go for the biggest GPU if possible still to be future proof.

Well… It's not that simple. Some games need high bandwidth and some need at least a quad core CPU.

Still, a GTX 960 is a wise choice with a 2014 MBA.

1. You will be limited by TB1 anyway

2. A GTX 960 is good enough for Optimus on the low MBA resolution

3. anything faster than a GTX 970 would be a waste of money and you would be limited by the CPU most of the time

"Heroes of the Storm" isn't really optimised for fast gameplay and stable FPS. Sometimes there are FPS drops even when the CPU and GPU are just bored by the load (maybe the audio chip is limited?).

I would like to use a external 1080p monitor, would that still be ok?

So GTX970 with TB1 has just the same gaming perf as GTX960 with TB1, or better?

About the cpu, I've heard of PhysX can make GPU do CPU stuff, can it kind of solve this issue?

The FPS drops of HOTS may be caused by the unstable network, as I know.

A 970 will always be faster than a 960, but the gain on TB1 is smaller as on a normal PC. If you can afford a 970 you could consider getting it, but the 970 has some disadvantages:

- only 3.5 GB of fast VRAM

- high risk of getting a card with coil whine

3.5G is still better than 2g anyway. So the coil whine is kind of a defect or just all gtx970 has coil whine ? Can it be fixed or returned for a new one?

My friends bought a msi gtx970 and he said that it is really silent without any annoying whine

3.5G is still better than 2g anyway. So the coil whine is kind of a defect or just all gtx970 has coil whine ? Can it be fixed or returned for a new one?

My friends bought a msi gtx970 and he said that it is really silent without any annoying whine

A lot 970s are affected. Some vendors RMA them, some don't…

Btw. there are 4GB GTX960 cards ;)

Regarding my heating issues I just got everything cleaned up with new fans and new thermal paste. Been playing for two hours now and noticed a significant drop in fan speed ! running 72º average with fans 3000/3600 rpm, sometime even 2500 so happy days !!

Also frame rate seems way more stable but would test more :)

ps: Turbo boost is disabled

:Banane48::not_ripe::Banane04::Banane14::Banane35::smilingface (52)::Banane13::Banane02::Banane55::Banane34::fruitsex::Banane23::Banane54::Banane22::Banane01::Banane11::Banane32::bananapowerslide::Banane10::bananapartyhat::Banane52::Banane31::Banane20::Banane41::Banane51::Banane19::Banane40::Banane08::Banane39::Banane49::Banane17::Banane06:

Updated to 10.10.4 with the latest 346.02.02f03 drivers and getting occasional random crashes. Nothing too serious yet... (around 1 a week with complete freeze but no stuttering before)

Before on 10.10.3 it was completely rock solid.

That was just to confirm that getting the latest version does not necessarily bring better performances/stability and that crashes are not necessarily hardware related. My advice is if you find something that works, stick to it if you can. If you are still having crashes then update.

Hi guys,

Sorry to be a burden. My eGPU is not performing as well as it should. Boots fine, shows up fine in device manager. Even runs games fine. Just not as well as it should.

There is sometimes some juddering from what I can only assume is a pci-e bandwidth issue and the card benchmarks lower than it should, showing a loss in performance. So far we have discovered that I am running PCI-E x1 2.0 and that my TOLUD is good enough. I have disabled my dGPU (and now my iGPU) in device manager along with HD sound from the card to try to free up resources for the eGPU and it hasn't helped considerably. Here are some screen shots about my system that may help.

post-37462-14495000675858_thumb.png

post-37462-14495000676046_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help,

Woosypan

post-37462-14495000674919_thumb.png

post-37462-14495000675147_thumb.png

post-37462-14495000675346_thumb.png

post-37462-14495000675582_thumb.png

@Woosypan: You've got any friend that could lend you his graphics card? Or you give him a visit to test it at his place. This way you might check if it's simply the graphics card that's making trouble in whichever way or if it's maybe the adapter that is faulty. Another point might be to obtain Setup 1.3 and either do some magical compaction stuff or whatever(idk that much about it) or force the connection to x1.1 so you can if your connection is simply not stable. This happens.

Additionally, although I can understand your situation, posting the same stuff in different threads won't magically let a solution fall from the sky. The DIY experiences thread is usually well visited so if you haven't got a solution presented it may be because it's difficult to find.

Additionally, although I can understand your situation, posting the same stuff in different threads won't magically let a solution fall from the sky. The DIY experiences thread is usually well visited so if you haven't got a solution presented it may be because it's difficult to find.

Totally understand, only reason I posted it here was because I once I saw this thread I thought it might have been in the wrong place before. Thanks for the help.

I have the same Problem as you in ETS2. In the menu FPS are good at ~40 and then I start driving the highest number I´ve seen was around 18 FPS. Didn´t find a solution so far.

Sorry i could not be online in forum for a while. My situation about ETS2 is same, could you solve the problem?

I confirm a big performance improvement since 346 web drivers. Many safari bugs are also "almost gone".

10.10.5 soon :D

Edit: safari bugs (mostly on flash websites) are back with 10.10.5 but gaming still 100% stable

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry i could not be online in forum for a while. My situation about ETS2 is same, could you solve the problem?

Hey kayacan, did you manage to solve it? I also have this issue with my P4E board but I'm at PCI-E 1x + AMD R7 370. It runs fine for CS:GO but not for ETS2.

For the ETS2-problem: As Workaround you could use OpenGL instead DirectX. Thing is, a lot of mods do work really bad if you use OGL. Especially truck and map mods tend to let the game crash. And log is not errorfree, too. Even in vanilla game.

My observation was even if you set the graphics to very low, you will get not more then 15-17 FPS in cities. On the other hand in the middle of nowhere it can in this settings go up to over 100 FPS. And the Problems are the same with AMD and Nvidia. I did test with a GTX 750 Ti and a R9 270X. It occours also in a fresh installed Windows. Don´t know, what there is wrong.

• 1 month later...

Hello again everyone,

Since I had the issues with my setup I kind of gave up. The performance was solid but weirdly jumpy meaning I couldnt play games well. I have recently plugged everything back in and tried to get it going again using my internal LCD and it simply wont work. I get the following error: 'You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU'. I have clean installed my drivers and had a look at the internal LCD section along with the dGPU section in the guide thread. As far as I can see none of it relates to my problem, besides maybe getting Setup 1.30 and doing something technical.

Any help would be appreciated,

Woosypan

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at a bit of a loss here.

My setup is:

- Mac mini 2012 i7 2.3ghz

- Akitio Thunder 2 with 120w power supply

- EVGA gtx 750 ti sc

- Windows 10

I am experiencing a bottleneck in games which I have been investigating for the past few weeks but I still cannot explain. I can run the heaven benchmark and get a more or less respectable 2098 on high (tessellation disabled) and it is stable in terms of fps. However, when I run games like Elite Dangerous and Mad Max I run into a strange issue where they will run perfectly on high settings at a solid 60fps for 10 to 20 minutes, but then suddenly decline in frame rates to 20fps.

Initially I thought it could be heat, a classic culprit for down clocking, but using EVGA precision X and a CPU heat monitor utility I could find no evidence of excessive heat in either the GPU or the CPU. In game the CPU remains at around 60 degrees c and the GPU rarely gets above 50.

It's not a problem specific to windows 10 as i've run the same games on OSX and I still get the fps drop.

Another strange symptom of this problem is that regardless of 'rest period' after closing a game, the system will not recover to normal performance levels until a reboot. Additionally, after I close the game when I try and load a youtube video it plays in slow motion with no sound. I think this could be a clue to as to what is going wrong. However, as I mentioned before, it's not a heat issue as the components are both cool with the GPU and 30 and the CPU at 50.

One more thing i've noticed is that while playing a game the VRAM keeps rising until it completely fills up. Sometimes this is associated with fps drop but other times it isn't.

So as far as I can see it i'm left with a few explanations:

1. Thunderbolt 1 bottleneck: maybe the data transfer gets backed up and it causes the drop

2. VRAM memory leak: the card will not release data and so it becomes saturated

3. Something else entirely that I have not considered

If anyone can shed any light on this problem I would be extremely grateful. I'm very happy to test things out with the setup if you have any suggestions you think might work.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

You should try and investigate a bit more yourself with tools like EVGA Precision X or GPU-Z.

I would bet that you are running into any kind of "target" or limitation.

Please check

GPU tool:

- Power target (maxed at 100% when the drop occurs?)

- Temperature target

- is the clock speed stable

- VRAM reaching 2GB

Task Manager:

- Antivurs Scanner active?

- Any other process eating up RAM or CPU?

- RAM limit reached? Swapping to HDD/SSD?

CPU Tools (Intel XTU):

- clock speed

- temperature (-> limit reached and throttling?)

It's very strange that you even have problems after quiting the game... Can you check and update to the latest Nvidia drivers (check online AND in the GeForce Experience tool).

• Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.