Clevo p150em & gtx 670m 1.5gb

djdblaster

Hello everyone,

I bought used 670M pulled from AW system to insert in my MS 16F3. Installed, no screen on boot. Luckily, I have Clevo P150EM laying around. Installed it there, no thermal alarm, BIOS recognized it as GTX 670M, nvflash also, everything looks great. I saved its vBios and went on another computer to look for vBios version just to be sure which card it is (used NiBiTor to see vBios version which was 80.something..). Since the card is 1.5GB, I assumed it wasn't DELL/AW card because they come with 2GB? That led me to download older 70.24.. Clevo vBios which was successfully flashed after. BIOS and nvflash recognized it, no thermal alarm, great!

Pulled the card out of Clevo P150EM and installed in MS 16F3. Screen on boot, no fan spinning max, everything perfect! Installing Windows for like 10 minutes and then fan starts spinning max. Installed Windows, chipset, Intel management, Intel VGA and finally nVidia driver with custom .inf from laptopvideo2go.com. Device Manager shows yellow triangle next to GTX 670M. Rebooted and tried flashing MSI vBios with nvflash. I get the line checking image and ID's, something like that, and skips flashing. Checked EEPROM and it said status Unknown. Entered Windows and 670M shows in Device Manager with yellow triangle next to it. (Code 43 was error from the beginning btw) Reinstalled 670M in Clevo, BIOS and nvflash recognized it, however nvflash cannot write anything to it. Reinstalled back to MS 16F3 and same thing with nvflash. It shows it is there, but cannot write to it. Back to P150EM, 670M shows in BIOS and nvflash, but I cannot flash it. After 2 restarts, nvflash doesn't recognize 670M, but BIOS does.

So I am confused now. How can a card show up in Windows if it doesn't get recognized under nvflash nor can be flashed? Shall I try different nvflash version or reinstall in either laptop?

I've put this thread under Clevo because P150EM reads a lot of cards, serves me as a diagnosis tool and I would like to get it working it there first.

It might be lengthy post, but I tried to include every detail and be specific. Hopefully it helps someone else too!

Prema, first I thank you truly for spending time to take a look at my problem!

Second, I shall insert 670M in either laptop that gets it recognized and flash in Windows or that must be specifically in P150EM? What about the vBios version? I've never done NVFLASH in Windows, what is going to happen when new vBios is flashed?

Third, I have a couple of vBioses:

1) Clevo vBios that came with the card, which I have saved before flashing (version 80...)

2) Clevo vBios from Techpowerup (70...)

3) MSI vBios from Techpowerup (70...)

4) MSI vBios downloaded from some thread on Notebookreview, seems like the original MSI 1.5GB latest version (80... I guess).

I could use NiBiTor to check them all.

So yeah, which one? :adoration:

My original plan was to use 670M in MS 16F3. Is my plan possible?

I still cannot flash it. It just skips when checking image and ID's. I tried method -4 -5 -6 vbios_name.rom and cmd shows list of commands.

However, your attached NVFLASH does read 670M, but still no luck writing to it. Wanna do Teamviewer or I could post up screenshots?

Error: supported EEPROM not found. This shows when I try to back up vBios. When I try to flash it, it just skips.

I ran ModMe.bat in Windows and it shows first CMD window, asks for permission and then shows seconds CMD windows for half a second.

I'm doing all this in MS 16F3 laptop, because P150EM has thermal shutdown and won't run more than 1 min or less.

Only -6 is still a valid command on the new nvflash. Make sure to keep the GPU active by having GPU-Z open on dgpu in the background.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you keep GPU-Z active in the background?

OK, use the old DOS version of nvflash and flash it in via USB in pure DOS.

GPU-Z while in Windows or Safe Mode?

I tried NVFlash 5.136 in pure DOS. Still no luck. It skips when needs to flash it. I cannot check EEPROM status. Actually it says Unknown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...