Getting new sodimm's, Kingston HyperX 2133. However...

post-35824-14495000200588_thumb.jpg

Heres a picture of it. So to get it to 2133, or 2400 I need typhoon burner? I see its not free, but there is a free version, and would that work? After that, then what? I cant change settings from in my bios, but maybe I can use one of your flashes? Not quite sure how this works.

- - - Updated - - -

You would still have to find a way to get the bios to use over 1600mhz. Are there any options in your bios settings maybe allow 1866mhz as mentioned in earlier posts?

Upgraded picture, heres a closer one

post-35824-14495000201032_thumb.jpg

Im really not sure because the bios doesnt allow any sort of changes to the ram. I suppose typhoon burner is the next step by using one of your flashes. Any idea's?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15102[/ATTACH]

Heres a picture of it. So to get it to 2133, or 2400 I need typhoon burner? I see its not free, but there is a free version, and would that work? After that, then what? I cant change settings from in my bios, but maybe I can use one of your flashes? Not quite sure how this works.

- - - Updated - - -

Upgraded picture, heres a closer one

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15103[/ATTACH]

Im really not sure because the bios doesnt allow any sort of changes to the ram. I suppose typhoon burner is the next step by using one of your flashes. Any idea's?

both the Ram needs the SPD programmed to be a set speed and the bios + the cpu/memory controller to support the ram speed.

In your case do not buy Thaiphoon Burner for those purposes as they still would load 1600mhz unless you can get it set in the bios. currently in your situation the ram can only be run at 1600mhz. if you don't find a work around for that but you are trying to get some really fast speeds off your ram anyway yes you would then have to buy Thaiphoon Burner and be real careful as well as when you do the computer you install the trial on to buy the full version will be the one licensed and cant be used again on another computer, if your setup changes too much in hardware wise it will as well act as if its a new pc and the key is incorrect. If you did that you could try to flash the 1600mhz timings to even tighter timings. These chips are pretty fast so the amount of latency you could remove and lower from the stock 1600mhz timing on the chip would equate to faster :) So it is a thought and the lower you get those timings the faster and more bandwith you will see even on 1600mhz. You might be surprised at how fast they may be lowered to their lowest they can for 1600mhz. I think in US $ it was about 16-17 about

Im quite sure both the bios and the computer hardware can handle it, im just not sure how to make it do it because there is nothing in the bios that allows that. Im abit new to typhoon burner if you understand, so am I right in assuming that it can overcome this? It didnt really come with a tutorial, so could I somehow use one of your flashes?

• Bios Modder
Im quite sure both the bios and the computer hardware can handle it, im just not sure how to make it do it because there is nothing in the bios that allows that. Im abit new to typhoon burner if you understand, so am I right in assuming that it can overcome this? It didnt really come with a tutorial, so could I somehow use one of your flashes?

You can read this thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-4.html#post131332

But I think your limit for memory is 1866MHz, because in Latitude E6420 used the old Sandy Bridge platform.

• Thumbs Up 1

@mw86 is your 2400MHz stable? I've run samsung sticks in a haswell at 2400 and I could not get them stable at any timings, although 11-11-11 was good enough to benchmark (and 10-11-11 made it to windows). Higher latencies did not improve stability.

- - - Updated - - -

Heres a picture from my drive, I think im getting hacked now or something, because the image uploader isnt working.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=ce92fb2c0f4b555!571&authkey=!AGJjMbKXo2Y6eMI&v=3&ithint=photo%2cjpg

Yes its the 16gb kit at 2133 CL11. Im using a dell E6420, which also owns alienware, so I assume there is some capability to do 2133 or 2400? I have the second revision of this model, and heres a single rank review of the current and previous models. HyperX HX321LS11IB2K2/8 Review - HWDb

What do you recommend to get me to 2133 or 2400? Yes its a dell latitude build for reliability over performance, but maybe something like typhoon burner? Im new at this and dont want to screw up anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I just made a new post showing a picture of my chips with the model number on them. This is the first revision using H5TC4G83BFR while the previous uses H5TC4G83MFR

On an E6520 I found that earlier BIOS's would allow running up to 2133, but later versions set a limit to 1866 MHz. The E6530 has an even lower ceiling at 1600MHz. The E6520 had no support for XMP. I tried writing memory overclocks to NVRAM, but they were not accepted. Only memory underclocks would work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dell officially doesnt do xmp, but it can be "enabled" as that post is showing. My current ceiling for the E6420 is 1600 as well, and I suppose thats really an intel/dell thing lol. Heres my ram which is unlocked as kingstons and corsairs allow.

15103d1433290710t-img_19800124_213536.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

On an E6520 I found that earlier BIOS's would allow running up to 2133, but later versions set a limit to 1866 MHz. The E6530 has an even lower ceiling at 1600MHz. The E6520 had no support for XMP. I tried writing memory overclocks to NVRAM, but they were not accepted. Only memory underclocks would work.

Dell officially doesnt do xmp, but it can be "enabled" as that post is showing. My current ceiling for the E6420 is 1600 as well, and I suppose thats really an intel/dell thing lol. Heres my ram which is unlocked as kingstons and corsairs allow.

15103d1433290710t-img_19800124_213536.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, so Im going about this method to get to 2133 or 2400 via http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-7.html

Unless you can think of a better one. I dont want to buy thaiphoon burner if I have too, but it might be necessary. I went through all the available bios and none of them did higher than 1866, so I chose the latest one doing that speed.

Alright, so Im going about this method to get to 2133 or 2400 via http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-7.html

Unless you can think of a better one. I dont want to buy thaiphoon burner if I have too, but it might be necessary. I went through all the available bios and none of them did higher than 1866, so I chose the latest one doing that speed.

Thaiphoon Burner is worth the cost if you work on ram timings as it really is good at what it does :) $16 about USD. Good luck I hope the modding works :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, here are my first ram benchmark results.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15157[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15158[/ATTACH]

What do you all think?

Cool! I am glad you got the system over 1600mhz :D Is this stock 1866mhz timing, cool. Are you going to leave them as is or modify with Thaiphoon Burner? One has to be careful if so, I have an extra laptop I flash my ram in, so it is different from my main one and I flash one stick at a time and turn off system to put the next one in.

I contacted thaiphoon burner, they said the software would not work because they cannot change settings that the bios has put in, so scratch that. Otherwise Im gonna try this. http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-9.html#post135616 How is this for 1866?

I contacted thaiphoon burner, they said the software would not work because they cannot change settings that the bios has put in, so scratch that. Otherwise Im gonna try this. http://forum.techinferno.com/dell-latitude-vostro-precision/9690-14-dell-latitude-e6430-performance-upgrades-system-mods-9.html#post135616 How is this for 1866?

That's pretty good. I had the same scores with 6GB @ 1866MHz CL10 dual channel (2GB+4GB) on my E6430 using XMP with a flashed Samsung 4GB @ 1600MHz CL11 and a flashed ADATA 2GB @ 1333MHz CL9...

Performance Gain using faster RAM on a Dell Latitude E6430

@mw86 is your 2400MHz stable? I've run samsung sticks in a haswell at 2400 and I could not get them stable at any timings, although 11-11-11 was good enough to benchmark (and 10-11-11 made it to windows). Higher latencies did not improve stability.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup sorry for late reply I can finally post some screens for you and all my awesome friends here :D

Ok, the Samsung chip that I have goes up to 2133Mhz (not very stable no matter the timings)! 2000MHz seems to be more stable. It will even go to 2084 with BCLK OC!

Seems though that 2400MHz is not feasible. Even if I set an XMP Profile higher than 2133 (2400, 2666, 2800) it will downclock to 2133. I can't find a reason why this is happening. Maybe my CPU (i7-3630QM)? Why?

Is it possible that i7-36x0 would be locked to up to 2133MHz XMP Profiles?

Also seems like my top limit for Dual Channel is 1866 for now.

The 2GB ADATA chip that I have won't go up to 2133... 2000MHz seems to be its limit and only single channel....

Memory controller???

Any thought would be appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, the Samsung chip that I have goes up to 2133Mhz (not very stable no matter the timings)! 2000MHz seems to be more stable. It will even go to 2084 with BCLK OC!

Seems though that 2400MHz is not feasible. Even if I set an XMP Profile higher than 2133 (2400, 2666, 2800) it will downclock to 2133. I can't find a reason why this is happening. Maybe my CPU (i7-3630QM)? Why?

The 2GB ADATA chip that I have won't go up to 2133... 2000MHz seems to be its limit and only single channel....

Memory controller???

had you tried the secondary timings beside the usual first few usually tweaked? I have had good luck on most Samsung chips that have come with my laptops before. Cool J95 uses a real fast CL9 2000mhz :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• Bios Modder

Memory controller???

Just type in Google "Silicon Lottery", and you can see very much info about your question. For example like this:

What is the silicon lottery? - CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory - Linus Tech Tips

CPUs of a particular series or model are not exactly identical. Some overclock better than others.

The lottery means you have lucked out and gotten a good one for OC. There is no way to predict until you reach the upper bounds of overclocking.

Quality of memory controllers of the identical CPUs have differs. One can be stable with 2400, but other one do not stable with 2133. It is normal. When chip manufacturers like Intel, TSMC, UMC, GF, etc. make wafers, there are slight variations in material quality across the wafer surface, there are local variations in how the lithography, metal vapor deposition, photoresist chemical deposition, etc. are done and this can yield a significant contrast between how good the best chip of a given batch will perform vs how bad the worst chip of the same batch will perform.

You have absolutely no way to know beforehand how much farther beyond that your specific chip can go under any given circumstances beyond stock conditions. That's the chip lottery. Some i5/i7 may max out at 4.2GHz while others may hit 5GHz. With CPUs memory controllers happens exactly the same things.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can run 2400mhz (12-13-13-36) with 4x8G Corsair DDR3L in my Dell M6800(4940mx), it passed MemTest86, 3DMark, PCMark, but couldn't pass Windows based MemTest. At the end I have to down clock at 2133 (11-11-11-30) to pass the MemTest. Not sure is it because my ram cannot handle 2400 in 1.35v or my mother board cannot handle 2400mhz. I also used Thaiphoon Burner to flash the spd, no setting in BIOS.

I can run 2400mhz (12-13-13-36) with 4x8G Corsair DDR3L in my Dell M6800(4940mx), it passed MemTest86, 3DMark, PCMark, but couldn't pass Windows based MemTest. At the end I have to down clock at 2133 (11-11-11-30) to pass the MemTest. Not sure is it because my ram cannot handle 2400 in 1.35v or my mother board cannot handle 2400mhz. I also used Thaiphoon Burner to flash the spd, no setting in BIOS.

I had the same issue on Hyperx Impact 2x8gb in my Alienware I think the higher ram density requires more voltage. I hadnt got them fully stable either but when I replaced them with the 4gb sticks instead so 2x4gb they stayed stable at 2400mhz. They run very cool and they only have 4 rm chips on either side of the ram stick. The lower density uses less power overall and creates less heat bother factors in overclocking to a next ram speed bin. Going to try to get @Mr.Fox Alienware M18xR2 to 2400 2x8gb but it may be a pattern with all 8gb sticks. Slowing timings down seems to just not lower the power required enough at 8gb ram modules. Perhaps we will make some progress. I know more now on 2400 once I had time with the 4gb sticks then I did on the 2x8 kit I have. I may try to go back see if I can manage 2400 stable now. These 8gb sticks are finicky either way. :D run great on 2133 on tight timings though indeed.

I had the same issue on Hyperx Impact 2x8gb in my Alienware I think the higher ram density requires more voltage. I hadnt got them fully stable either but when I replaced them with the 4gb sticks instead so 2x4gb they stayed stable at 2400mhz. They run very cool and they only have 4 rm chips on either side of the ram stick. The lower density uses less power overall and creates less heat bother factors in overclocking to a next ram speed bin. Going to try to get @Mr.Fox Alienware M18xR2 to 2400 2x8gb but it may be a pattern with all 8gb sticks. Slowing timings down seems to just not lower the power required enough at 8gb ram modules. Perhaps we will make some progress. I know more now on 2400 once I had time with the 4gb sticks then I did on the 2x8 kit I have. I may try to go back see if I can manage 2400 stable now. These 8gb sticks are finicky either way. :D run great on 2133 on tight timings though indeed.

It makes sense. I think the frequency matters a lot for the 8g stick, the MemTest showed error within 5 mins even though I used slow timing 14-14-14-36 for clock at 2400mhz. Some websites showed the 4930mx or 4940mx can support DDR3(1.5v), I tried to set UEFI variables to manually select "DDR3" instead of "DDR3L" to run 2400mhz, but it didn't show effect. I saw someone online can run 2133 at CL10 in AW 18, have you tried that in your machine? I can't get CL10 work fine for mine.

• Thumbs Up 1

It makes sense. I think the frequency matters a lot for the 8g stick, the MemTest showed error within 5 mins even though I used slow timing 14-14-14-36 for clock at 2400mhz. Some websites showed the 4930mx or 4940mx can support DDR3(1.5v), I tried to set UEFI variables to manually select "DDR3" instead of "DDR3L" to run 2400mhz, but it didn't show effect. I saw someone online can run 2133 at CL10 in AW 18, have you tried that in your machine? I can't get CL10 work fine for mine.

i did try that i got my 2x8gb 2133mhz to 11 11 11 on one adjustment from being the slowest 10 10 10...

had you tried the secondary timings beside the usual first few usually tweaked? I have had good luck on most Samsung chips that have come with my laptops before. Cool J95 uses a real fast CL9 2000mhz biggrin.png

There are not many choises for my machine that I could play with.Even when I am using XMP Profiles it won't comply fully with the XMP Profile settings...

I also don't own TB so I have to flash my RAM on another/older machine... I may don't have the right dumps?

...You have absolutely no way to know beforehand how much farther beyond that your specific chip can go under any given circumstances beyond stock conditions. That's the chip lottery.

Thanks! That makes sense.

I just wanted to know if the problem is the dumps that I use and not the CPU... Is there any way that I can confirm it?

My machine is not exactly an OC beast... Maybe I will try with another CPU...

There are not many choises for my machine that I could play with.Even when I am using XMP Profiles it won't comply fully with the XMP Profile settings...

I also don't own TB so I have to flash my RAM on another/older machine... I may don't have the right dumps?

Thanks! That makes sense.

I just wanted to know if the problem is the dumps that I use and not the CPU... Is there any way that I can confirm it?

My machine is not exactly an OC beast... Maybe I will try with another CPU...

My M18xR2 with a 3920XM doesn't want to go over 2133 no matter what either. I have have usable/working XMP profiles from @mw86 and the 2133 and 2400 XMP profiles both work, bootable and stable, but the memory clock goes up to 2400 briefly and then something forces it back down to 2133. It does the same thing with Vengeance 2133 8GB sticks and Ripjaws 2133 4GB sticks. Either mobile Ivy Bridge processors don't go above 2133 or Dell/Alienware did something to block it. With the unlocked BIOS the second advanced overclocking menu has options for 2400 and 2666. I can set timings manually and boot with it set to 2400, but it does the same thing as using the XMP profile above 2133. I have decided not to burn any more calories on it. I can be happy with 2133 @ 10-11-11-27.

• 2 months later...

Huh, interesting thread.

I just picked up a kit of Kingston hx321ls11ib2k2/16 16GB HyperX Impact kit and ran into the the behavior described here (basically the system is pretty unstable, i blame the iGPU).

I'm trying to use these in a HP 2570p, the bios of which has crap-all in terms of options. I was considering increasing the latencies, but i'm not sure it's the ram that's the problem (memtests complete ok). Is it possible the i7-3740QM simply can't handle the clockrate? What would I have to do to have these chips made usable, try and delete every SPD profile above 1866MHz somehow?