Tips to make your stock y500 faster

brkdncr

Here's a few things I did to make my stock y500 boot faster.

replaced the Condusiv software-based ssd cache with PrimoCache.

Disabled hard drive energy saving in the Lenovo Energy managment software. This helped a lot.

Uninstalled the Lenovo Energy management software. Windows handles most of these functions on its own. In fact the battery calibration command disabled charging and forced me to send the laptop in for repair.

Uninstalled all the camera software. I rarely use my camera, and the functions it added were gimmicks.

replaced windows defender with a faster a/v. I've demo'd a lot and as of this writing, webroot has been the best (just the a/v product, not bundled with anything else.)

Here's a few things I did to make my stock y500 boot faster.

replaced the Condusiv software-based ssd cache with PrimoCache.

Disabled hard drive energy saving in the Lenovo Energy managment software. This helped a lot.

Uninstalled the Lenovo Energy management software. Windows handles most of these functions on its own. In fact the battery calibration command disabled charging and forced me to send the laptop in for repair.

Uninstalled all the camera software. I rarely use my camera, and the functions it added were gimmicks.

replaced windows defender with a faster a/v. I've demo'd a lot and as of this writing, webroot has been the best (just the a/v product, not bundled with anything else.)

so, did you install ideafan to compensate the Dust removal function?

• 2 weeks later...

Lenovo dust cleaner is ofc a joke, best way is to take the cover down and go with compressed air or at least remove gpu or what you have from UltraBay.

I would also recommend to get rid of the all bloatware that it came with. Fresh win7 installation way to go.

The only reason I keep Lenovo energy management is for the optimize battery health feature (keeps battery at 60% while in charger). But I did stop it from starting at Windows startup

but ya'll be @ risk of damaged mobo when a spike/drop(electric) occur.

but ya'll be @ risk of damaged mobo when a spike/drop(electric) occur.

Wouldn't a surge protector help in that aspect? And I only do this when gaming to get full utilization of the GPU's while not killing the battery.

Wouldn't a surge protector help in that aspect? And I only do this when gaming to get full utilization of the GPU's while not killing the battery.
ya always carry a surge protector 'round?'coz I don't.

ya always carry a surge protector 'round?'coz I don't.

I mean if I'm actually using it as a laptop then yeah I'll let it charge to 100% and use it portably. but while gaming or at my desk I'd like to extend the battery life