Tech|Inferno's first in-house Alienware M17x-R3 Review!

Brian

• Founder

Today we put in an order for an Alienware M17x-R3 with the following specs:

CPU: 2630qm

Ram: 4gb

Screen: 17.3" WLED 1080p

GPU: AMD 6970M

Wifi: Intel 6300

If there is anything specific you'd like to see in the review, let us know and we'll try our best to accommodate that request. You can read about what we plan to include in the review on the front page.

In your article on the review thats up an coming I read you will be comparing it to a done up R2. Can you compare stock R2 and even an overclocked one such as your R2 Brian or Micheal and StamitasX's R2? Like Stam's 3.57Ghz quad setup would be a great performance comparison of modded and unmodded R2's.

• Founder
In your article on the review thats up an coming I read you will be comparing it to a done up R2. Can you compare stock R2 and even an overclocked one such as your R2 Brian or Micheal and StamatisX's R2? Like Stam's 3.57Ghz quad setup would be a great performance comparison of modded and unmodded R2's.

Yeah that's the plan, and it will be interesting to see how well can a modded R3 (with some serious GPU overclock and possibly a CPU retention mod-I don't know yet about OC) can stand next to my modded R2.

I am also interested about the SSD performance on the R3 so we gonna have some testings done as soon as we find an SSD to install.

• Founder

Yes there are going to be some additional tests run that I didn't mention on the front page. Some of those include:

• M17x-R2 with 720qm processor and single GPU vs R3
  • M17x-R2 with 720qm and crossfire vs R3
  • M17xR2 with SSD (depending if I can get one or stam/michael arrange it) vs R3 with SSD
  • Overclocked M17x-R2 vs Overclocked R3 (GPU only since 2630 can't be oc'd with TS afaik)
  • OC'd M17x-R2 CPU vs stock R3 CPU (I'm sure the 2630qm will lose here but its just to see how badly)

This review is most likely going to be split up into 3 different articles since there is going to be a lot of content.

Guest DarkLoki

The 6970 though probably offers a better Performance/Battery Life ratio then the 485 would have, especially if you went with the 3d route with the 485.

• Founder

Depends, if 485M works with optimus then at idle it actually consumes less power than a 6970M. Of course at load the 485M is a guzzler but on battery you can't exactly load these GPUs fully.

If there is anything specific you'd like to see in the review, let us know and we'll try our best to accommodate that request. You can read about what we plan to include in the review on the front page.

Dear Sir,

What is your EDD for this? My order also was placed on 3/7 (even though I technically ordered from aafes on 3/3), and I have EDD of 3/30.

TYIA!

We have the same EDD, welcome to the forum!

Thank you!

Also, looking forward to the review. With your permission, can I contribute a review once I get mine? I'm not a techie/pro, so mine will be more subjective/nubbish review for the common-(wo)man :) I'll be open to requests of all sorts though.

I don't know if you'd be interested in raid 0 samsung pm800 ssd drives but i'd put my system through anything you guys needed and would send or post the results. If needed for the R2 R3 comparison

• Founder

Good news - The M17x-R3 has shipped out and will be here on 3/16. The plan is to take photos + vids of the unboxing processing along with commentary and then to setup the machine for review. The review will take about 1 week to complete the first part. We're estimating a total of 3 articles that will span over 3-4 weeks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey Brian,

Have you guys received your unit yet? Mine's still in the same stage (build stage)...

• Founder
Hey Brian,

Have you guys received your unit yet? Mine's still in the same stage (build stage)...

Yup I've had it for almost a week now. Just getting used to the system and preparing it for benchmarks. I didn't write a review right away because I want a chance to use the system and give it a fair evaluation rather than first impressions. Starting today, I will be running a bunch of game benchmarks on the R3 and R2. You should call Dell about your order.

Yup I've had it for almost a week now. Just getting used to the system and preparing it for benchmarks. I didn't write a review right away because I want a chance to use the system and give it a fair evaluation rather than first impressions. Starting today, I will be running a bunch of game benchmarks on the R3 and R2. You should call Dell about your order.

Will definitely be calling tomorrow. I emailed the csr today, and nothing new... Today is business day 11..

After 11 Days of use i returned my R3 to Dell why because of 4 problems

Keyboard flex

Service access panel flex , is build to cheap

screen lid bent every time i open the laptop

Battery loose

i can't complaint about performance because is amazing but on the build quality even the Asus G73 is build better sorry guys if this is not what you want to hear but is my experience

After 11 Days of use i returned my R3 to Dell why because of 4 problems

Keyboard flex

Service access panel flex , is build to cheap

screen lid bent every time i open the laptop

Battery loose

i can't complaint about performance because is amazing but on the build quality even the Asus G73 is build better sorry guys if this is not what you want to hear but is my experience

I've heard some problems with quality when it comes to Compal notebooks. I hope this isn't inherited on to these new Alienwares...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

I'll repost what I said in the NBR coat peeling thread:

The best way is to vote with your wallets and word of mouth. Let people know that the R3 doesn't have the build quality to match the premium Dell charges and then advise people not to buy it. When Dell sees a backlash against their cheapening the Alienware line, then MAYBE they will wake up and go back to producing high quality built systems like the R1/R2.

I've had my R3 now for over a week and while it's a nice system, the build quality falls far short of my R2. It FEELS cheap when I hold it and type on it because I can hear the dvd rattling. I don't hear a thing when I type on my R2. I don't want to give too much away as I'll save this rant for my review but needless to say, don't delude yourselves into thinking the R3 is anything like the R2 in build quality because it isn't--its far below it.

First off, Hi everyone at Tech Inferno. :)

Second, it's disappointing to hear about the build quality issues. I'll be looking forward to read the review as well. Then again, I think you can deduce the target audience for yourself - kids who want to see the flashy alien lights and play with 3D glasses. I still can't believe they took out the RGB LED.

Slightly offtopic so sorry about that :P but has anyone tried modding Dell Precision (the only Dell non-AW laptop that I like design-wise right now) with a gaming graphics? Some guy tried to do something like that with 5870m on Thinkpad W701 and reported on NBR/Lenovo forums that it didn't work out.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

Hi Unreal, welcome to T|I! I think Aikimox tried something like that with his 8740W but it didn't work out. Don't think anyone has tried a precision yet.