4940MX Overclocking Results

Bought an Alienware 18 recently for a good price, I always get lucky with GPU silicon lottery, but insanely unlucky with CPUs generally speaking. I managed to run my stupid 4940mx 4.2Ghz @ 1.21v. I would like you guys to comment on my results and confirm whether my chip is an absolute garbage or actually providing reasonable overclocking capabilities. Anyways, here is my XTU settings, and my core temp throughout the run.

Thanks you.

IMAG0397.jpg

upload jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

imagehost

post-9515-14494999960892_thumb.jpg

post-9515-14494999961166_thumb.jpg

Ok, this sounds extremely stupid but I figured out whats going on here. I notcied that the exhaust air of my 880m gpus are actually hotter than my cpu; for example, if both my cpu and gpu are running @ 80C, the exhaust fan of the gpu is hotter. This means that the heat is no longer traped inside and actually is being transferred to the air. Also, the gpu sink is noticeably hotter than the cpu sink! My conclusion is that for some stupuid reason, the sink is not making a good contact to the die! meaning I must find a good "thick" type paste, or somehow minimize this gab. Please help guys currently im running my stupid machine at 4.2Ghz @ 1.215v Max temp is 90-92 under cpu stress loads.

- - - Updated - - -

what are your xtu benchmark results? (the picture you attached only shows your xtu settings.)

I've been strongly considering buying a 4940MX to replace my 4810MQ.

post-9515-14494999965071_thumb.jpg

post-9515-14494999964261_thumb.jpg

CPUs always have a much higher differential between the die and heatsink than GPUs. This is because GPUs are bigger and put out heat relatively evenly across the die, while CPUs are smaller and have hot spots. Around 15C extra temp differential on a CPU vs a GPU is normal.

• Thumbs Up 1

what are your xtu benchmark results? (the picture you attached only shows your xtu settings.)

Be careful with the XTU benchmark, it is strongly affected by RAM. For instance my i7-4700MQ would run about 840 with 1600MTS CL11, changing BIOS timings to 1866MTS CL12 scores over 900.

I've been strongly considering buying a 4940MX to replace my 4810MQ.

If you are looking for something stronger than the 4810MQ then make sure you have plenty of thermal headroom (cooling) to accommodate it.

• 1 month later...

It took me 1.22v to stabilize 4.2Ghz and 1.28v to stabilize 4.3Ghz of 4940mx in my Dell M6800. I think your voltage is not bad. Even though I used liquid ultra, I still suffer from thermal throttling when clock is over 4.1Ghz under XTU stress test.

It took me 1.22v to stabilize 4.2Ghz and 1.28v to stabilize 4.3Ghz of 4940mx in my Dell M6800. I think your voltage is not bad. Even though I used liquid ultra, I still suffer from thermal throttling when clock is over 4.1Ghz under XTU stress test.

"It really worth the effort?

• 1 month later...

1.28 or just over if you have your ram running really fast rates is accurate. XTU is a heavy bench so it requires more than most to stabalize. 4.3-4.4 ghz on Haswell can actually be really fast even compared to desktop counterparts on air cooling.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...