2013 15" MBP GT750M + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10TP [iregret]

So, I'm not sure what I did, but now I can't seem to get anything to work properly. I was doing just fine messing around with overclocking. I got home from work, booted into Windows and now nothing works. Both cards show up in device manager and Windows isn't detecting an external display either. I've tried several things and have decided to start over with Windows 8.1. I'm not in love with Windows 8, but Windows 10 has had a few glitches on me. It hangs at certain times and is oddly picky where I click the mouse. Sometime I can't get the task bar to show up. etc...

Anywho, I'm downloading a Windows 8.1 iso currently and I'll see if I can't get things up and running again in a more stable environment. It'll be interesting to see if theres any performance differences between the operating systems.

I do like what I see with Windows 10 though. I just don't think they have all the bugs worked out quite yet. Plus, I'm running a Mac so that probably doesn't help either.

Thanks for all the help fellas! It's been a fun experiment so far for sure!

Oh man. I don't know what's up. I see a lot of googling in my future.

I I deleted the windows 10 partition and installed windows 8.1. Had windows do its updates, then I downloaded the nvidia driver and installed it. Nothing. The last time I did this, the monitor just flickered to life. Ugh.

I I checked to make sure windows installed uefi, it did. I checked device manager and windows sees the 750M and the 970. I tried disabling and enabling both and that made no difference.

When I right click on the desktop and look at the displays, windows doesn't recognize my display, but does have an option to use the 970 on a different display. Selecting that does nothing though.

I tried unplugging and plugging in the display port. I tried unplugging and swapping ends. Nope. I tried my mini display port to display port cable. Nope. I tried changing inputs on the monitor. Nope.

I don't get it. It went so smooth the first time through. Now nothing. What did I do? Maybe I'll try an hdmi cable and see if that works. Hell, I'll try a different monitor.

I'm at a loss here. Not sure what I did, but I must have broke something.

Oh man. I don't know what's up. I see a lot of googling in my future.

I I deleted the windows 10 partition and installed windows 8.1. Had windows do its updates, then I downloaded the nvidia driver and installed it. Nothing. The last time I did this, the monitor just flickered to life. Ugh.

I I checked to make sure windows installed uefi, it did. I checked device manager and windows sees the 750M and the 970. I tried disabling and enabling both and that made no difference.

When I right click on the desktop and look at the displays, windows doesn't recognize my display, but does have an option to use the 970 on a different display. Selecting that does nothing though.

I tried unplugging and plugging in the display port. I tried unplugging and swapping ends. Nope. I tried my mini display port to display port cable. Nope. I tried changing inputs on the monitor. Nope.

I don't get it. It went so smooth the first time through. Now nothing. What did I do? Maybe I'll try an hdmi cable and see if that works. Hell, I'll try a different monitor.

I'm at a loss here. Not sure what I did, but I must have broke something.

Delete an existing NVidia drivers, use DDU to remove all existing NVidia references in registry and stop auto-download/install of drivers. Reboot. Install latest NVidia desktop driver.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, after a lot of struggling I finally ended up plugging in an hdmi cable from the living room. Bam, I got a picture. WTF? I tried 2 different display port cables and neither one would work. I don't get it. I'm going to try booting into OSX and see if the display port works.

Maybe be it's the card? It seemingly just quit working out of the blue. I hate problems like that.

I know I won't be able to do 4k at 60hz over hdmi but maybe it's not a big deal in windows? Since I use windows primarily for gaming and I'll probably game at 1140 or 1080, it shouldn't be a big deal. Right?

Well, after a bit more trouble shooting and a bit of googling, I discovered that there is an apparent issue with the display port handshake on my monitor. I have a Dell P2415Q. Google "Display port not working p2415q" and you'll see there's a hit or miss problem with these monitors. Ugh.

When I press the power button, it actually puts the monitor to sleep rather than turning it off. I tried several things, but there's no real way to turn the dang thing off. I also couldn't find a solution searching around. Finally, I unplugged it for a few minutes. When I plugged it back in, OSX recognized it and it immediately worked. Now I'm not sure what to do. I'll play with it and see if it does it again. Maybe I should contact Dell?

To think, all this problem really was, was the dumb monitor glitching out. Honestly, hdmi is probably fine for windows use though. I won't be gaming at 4K anyway. I'll probably use my display port for extending OSX for research and programming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
At any point in all the issues you (sadly) encountered, were you able to get the internal LCD working with the eGPU in either OSX/Windows?

In windows, yeah. It'll just extend the desktop. There is one strange issue though. The mac display is "off" but it does seem to have the backlight on. I'm not really sure why though.

I started summer classes and I honestly haven't used it much. I'm looking forward to updating to Windows 10 again though. I don't really care for Windows 8.1.

Sorry for the late reply.

• Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2013 15" MBP GT750M + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10TP [iregret]