p150hm with gtx 670mx not booting normally

romulan

I upgraded the mxm graphics card in my clevo p150hm from gtx 460m to a clevo gtx 670mx

1. After the upgrade the booting behavior of the notebook was strange..

1. The bios screen does not complete when detecting hardware
    2. It shows the AMI logo and one line of text "AMIBIOS © 2010 American Megatrends, Inc."
    3. It does nothing for 30 seconds, then beeps once.
    4. Again it does nothing for 30 seconds then beeps once.
    5. And again it does nothing for 30 seconds then beeps once.
    6. Then it shows a flashing white cursor at top left of black screen for about 3 seconds.
    7. The cursor then drops down a few lines then Windows begins to boot.

8. Other changes in behavior at boot time are...
      1. It wont enter the bios setup by pressing the F2 key
      2. It wont enter boot select by pressing the F7 key
      3. It will enter the Windows Start up mode selection by pressing the F8 key, but only if pressed in the 3 seconds while the cursor is flashing.
      4. Attempting to boot to DOS or Windows PE from usb results in the same sequence of events (1 to 6) ending with a flashing cursor on a black screen.

[*]On the first boot after the upgrade Windows loaded the Video Reference driver (screen looked like it does in safe mode)

1. After some research I installed the most recent nVidia Video Drivers with modded *.inf as per instructions from LaptopVideo2Go
  2. This restored normal video function in Windows.
  3. The boot issues remained unchanged.

[*]Thinking that the vBios version may be the problem I downloaded Clevo 670mx - 3GB - 80.04.58.00.03 - 'OC edition'_rev02.zip from here.

1. From within Windows opened a command promt window as administrator
  2. Changed directory to the one with nvflash and the OC vBios in it
  3. Ran nvflash --help (to make sure the output made sense)
  4. Ran nvflash --list (to see if the card was recognised)
  5. Ran nvflash -6 670mxOC.rom (-6 = ignore PCI subsystem ID mismatch) (670mxOC.rom = name of the file I was flashing to)
  6. The flash completed successfully.
  7. After PC restart the only difference I noticed at boot was a listing of the vBios version just as the cursor started flashing.

[*]I've NOT upgraded BIOS from P150HM to P170HM. but I was considering it so as to be able to OC Graphics and Processor.

1. Bios Version: 1.01.14
  2. KBC/EC Ver. 1.00.13

Has anyone got any good suggestions about how to get a normal boot functionality back?

post-35173-14494999938184_thumb.gif

Some more info about my PC. (from Speccy)

CPU, Motherboard? and HD are non standard.

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i7 Extreme 2960XM @ 2.70GHz 45 °C

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

CLEVO P150HMx (SOCKET 0) 45 °C

Graphics

Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@59Hz)

3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX (CLEVO/KAPOK Computer) 41 °C

Storage

476GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512G (SSD) 28 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

Motherboard

Manufacturer CLEVO

Model P150HMx (SOCKET 0)

Version Not Applicable

Chipset Vendor Intel

Chipset Model Sandy Bridge

Chipset Revision 09

Southbridge Vendor Intel

Southbridge Model HM65

Southbridge Revision 05

BIOS

Brand American Megatrends Inc.

Version 4.6.4

Date 9/08/2011

CPU

Intel Core i7 Extreme 2960XM

Cores 4

Threads 8

Name Intel Core i7 Extreme 2960XM

Code Name Sandy Bridge

Package Socket 988B rPGA

Technology 32nm

Specification Intel Core i7-2960XM CPU @ 2.70GHz

Family 6

Extended Family 6

Model A

Extended Model 2A

Stepping 7

Revision D2

Instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Intel 64, NX, VMX, AES, AVX

Virtualization Supported, Enabled

Hyperthreading Supported, Enabled

Bus Speed 99.8 MHz

Stock Core Speed 2700 MHz

Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz

Caches

L1 Data Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes

L1 Instructions Cache Size 4 x 32 KBytes

L2 Unified Cache Size 4 x 256 KBytes

L3 Unified Cache Size 8192 KBytes

• 4 weeks later...

Much thanks and kudos to Prema who made a new vBios for my graphics card.

All the issues reported in the first post are resolved by the new vBios.

The motherboard's bios reports the Graphics Adapter Name as empty <empty> but uses the Graphics card without problem.

The nVidia Drivers will need to have the nvcvi.inf file edited before driver instalation.

The method is as follows;

Method 1

------------

Download the new driver.

Double click on it to extract it. (it usually extracts to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\)

Find the nvcvi.inf file (in my case it was at C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\350.12\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver\nvcvi.inf)

Open it in PSPad.

Using the Replace function,

Replace all occurences of DEV_11A1&SUBSYS_51051558 with DEV_11A1&SUBSYS_00001558 (You can replace any GTX 670M Dev ID code you wish)

Replace all occurences of %NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.5105.1558% with %NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0000.1558% <------ my Hardware ID, your one may differ.

Replace all occurences of NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.5105.1558 with NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0000.1558

Save the file. Close it.

Run the Driver installer. (It should now install)

Method 2

-------------

Use a script to do those Find/Replace for you.

Create a file PSPad editor\Script\VBScript\ModnVidiaInf.vbs in the PSPad application directory.

Add the following code.

const module_name  = "Mod nVidia nvcvi.inf for gtx670mx with p150hm"
const module_ver = "1"

Sub Init
addMenuItem "Modify inf file", module_name, "ReplaceText"
End Sub

Sub ReplaceText
Set editor = newEditor()
editor.assignActiveEditor
s = editor.Text
s = Replace(s,"DEV_11A1&SUBSYS_51051558","DEV_11A1&SUBSYS_00001558")
s = Replace(s,"%NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.5105.1558%","%NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0000.1558%")
s = Replace(s,"NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.5105.1558","NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0000.1558")
editor.Text(s)
End Sub

Save it. Close it. Restart PSPad.

Now you will have a new entry in the Sctipts menu named "Mod nVidia nvcvi.inf for gtx670mx with p150hm" with a Sub menu named "Modify inf file".

Download the new driver.

Double click on it to extract it. (it usually extracts to C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\)

Find the nvcvi.inf file (in my case it was at C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\350.12\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver\nvcvi.inf)

Open it in PSPad.

Use the new Script menu item to edit the file.

Save the file. Close it.

Hope this helps someone as I have been helped on this forum.

</empty>

• 5 months later...

Hallo, I am almost in the same situation, upgrading soon from GTX560m to GTX670mx, where can I find the vBios file? I entered Prema's site but i cannot see files for P150HM, can I just use the files for P150EM ?

Thanks

Simone

Hi, so today I tried to install the new card (GTX670mx), when I star tthe system, I cannot enter bios hitting F2, the laptop beeps twice anery 30 seconds or so then the screen goes blank, nothing else happens.

I reinstalled the old GTX560m so I can access the OS (Windows 10) and install whatever is needed but I am lost here as I am not sure about the proper steps to take.

Any hint?

tx

Simone

Hi, so today I tried to install the new card (GTX670mx), when I star tthe system, I cannot enter bios hitting F2, the laptop beeps twice anery 30 seconds or so then the screen goes blank, nothing else happens.

I reinstalled the old GTX560m so I can access the OS (Windows 10) and install whatever is needed but I am lost here as I am not sure about the proper steps to take.

Any hint?

tx

Simone

With the GTX670MX are able to get into DOS/Windows (like the OP) with not entering BIOS but waiting 30s at boot?

Nope, with the GTX670mx I am not able to get to DOS. I am using a properly formatted USB stick with which I ve used to flash the latest BIOS/EC (removed the SSD and the CD/DVD). But I have at hand the 560m and I can try a dry run and then a blind flash.

tx

Simone

I did a little resume of what's going on right now:

P150HMx

BIOS: 1.01.14

KBC/EC: 1.00.13

GTX560m

VBIOS: 70.26.29.00.06

GTX670mx

VBIOS: 80.04.67.00.06

(with 560m installed)

1- no ssd, no DVD

2- usb stick with DOS boots properly

(with 670mx installed)

1- no ssd, no DVD

2- usb stick with DOS (working confirmed)

3- appears "note style" splash

4- F2 and F7 do not work, nothing happens

5- fn-1 does work (max fan speed)

6- system beeps 3 times every approx 30 seconds

7- white blinking cursor appears top left

ok, as far as I understand, that must be somebody with an Optimus enabled motherboard right? So at least it can fallback to the integrated GPU?

Where can I find the proper file for flashing ? Is it Clevo 670mx - 3GB - 80.04.58.00.03 - 'OC edition'_rev02.zip ?

Thanks for the support.

Simone

Hi, I think i have some important news here.

-- first of all, this is a rather dangerous thing to do so beware --

I asked around and they told me that you can override the vbios safety check by shortcutting CS or CE (depending on the chip) with VSS/GND. That should let you pass POST. This doesn t mean that you ll get anything in your display, blind typing is needed anyway.

So I got a shot at the GTX670m

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16433[/ATTACH]

the chip in question is http://www.zlgmcu.com/mxic/pdf/NOR_Flash_c/MX25L2006E_DS_EN.pdf , the needed pins are easily exposed on the outer side, I could have done with a pair of nail scissor i had at hand but I waited to go to our hackerspace to use proper clips and anti-static wrist band (just joking, I did it with the scissors and the laptop standing on its side...), so, just short-cut those 2 pins and turn on the laptop with your free hand..

The USB stick started to blink (goood) and there was nothing on the screen, I blind typed nvflash.exe -b backup.rom, (USB blinks again...), waited a while and plugged the USB stick on another laptop. backup.rom is there, so it looks very promising.

Looking forward to flash the proper VBIOS now.

Simone

• Thumbs Up 1

Still not working, maybe I am missing some steps.

- I got the .rom file and I ve added it to the root of the USB stick

- I turn on the laptop with the aforementioned technique

- type "nvflash.exe -i 0 -6 GTX670MX.rom"

- hit enter

- usb stick flashes

- wait some minutes

- unplug the supply for 30 secs (no battery on this unit)

- turn on again and I am back where I was before

I wonder if after the nvflash command there is something else i have to select.

tx

Simone

arr no dice yet!

I do hit Y and Enter and I can see the usb stick blinking, furthermore I piped some nvflash commands to text files so I am sure that both DOS and nvflash are working correctly but when I restart I am back to the same point. How long should it take to flash the eeprom? Should it shutdown/reboot by itself?

I ve also removed the power supply and the cmos battery.

nvflash --check

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.163)

Adapter: GeForce GTX 670MX (10DE,11A1,1558,0000) H:--:NRM B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

The display may go *BLANK* on and off for up to 10 seconds during access to the EEPROM depending on your display adapter and output device.

Identifying EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (C2,2012) : MX MX25L2005 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page

nvflash --list

NVIDIA Firmware Update Utility (Version 5.163)

NVIDIA display adapters present in system:

<0> GeForce GTX 670MX (10DE,11A1,1558,0000) H:--:NRM B:01,PCI,D:00,F:00

Much thanks and kudos to Prema who made a new vBios for my graphics card.

All the issues reported in the first post are resolved by the new vBios.

The motherboard's bios reports the Graphics Adapter Name as empty <empty> but uses the Graphics card without problem.

The nVidia Drivers will need to have the nvcvi.inf file edited before driver instalation.

The method is as follows;

Method 1

------------

Download the new driver.

Open it in PSPad.

Using the Replace function,

Replace all occurences of DEV_11A1&SUBSYS_51051558 with DEV_11A1&SUBSYS_00001558 (You can replace any GTX 670M Dev ID code you wish)

Replace all occurences of %NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.5105.1558% with %NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0000.1558% <------ my Hardware ID, your one may differ.

Replace all occurences of NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.5105.1558 with NVIDIA_DEV.11A1.0000.1558

Save the file. Close it.

Hope this helps someone as I have been helped on this forum.

</empty>

Before delving into the VBIOS flashing afterthoughts, it seems like I can't install the driver, I followed what Romulan wrote but I get an error

post-40163-14495001107807_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Before delving into the VBIOS flashing afterthoughts, it seems like I can't install the driver, I followed what Romulan wrote but I get an error

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16450[/ATTACH]

Just use driver .inf from laptopvideo2go.com and make sure to boot with driver signature enforcement disabled.

So a few considerations for those who are facing a similar situation:

• the shortcut to overcome the VBIOS safety block has to be between Chip Select or Chip Enable and VSS/GND

• use a USB stick with freeDOS and a LED, this is importat as it is the only active feedback you ll have in the broken machine

• create the shortcut, hit the power button and wait for the usb stick led to show activity, that means freeDOS is loaded in RAM, after that you can remove whatever you were using as shortcut

• you can pipe info from DOS to a text file with the ">" symbol so to test that everything is ok do something like "DIR > dir_info.txt" then pop out the usb stick and plug it into another computer and see if in dir_info.txt you have the listing of files and dirs of the usb stick
  • you can plug it back again (awesome), no need to restart the computer, it will recognize the usb stick and you ll be back at work on your faulty machine
  • nvflash has got a -L option that stands for logging data, it s very useful to see what s going on ex: "nvflash -L mylog.txt -6 myrom.rom" then pop out and in the usb stick and check the mylog.txt file it will tell you how things went
  • a friend ponited me to this great manual for nvflash it is attached here [ATTACH]16453[/ATTACH]
  • if you don t say otherwise nvflash has a sound feedback, COMMAND - Enter - press Y - Enter - 3 beeps - press Y - Enter - wait wait wait - one beep - READY (the second Y I am not sure about it), it took me many tries to get to the second and final beep, I am not sure why it didn t work the first times, typos, not waiting enough, dunno..

@Prema, thank you now the driver installed correctly but I am not sure I am seeing the card running correctly, the main problem s that the laptop screen is not coming up, the HDMI connected is ok but the laptop display is not being recognized.

tx

Simone

Card is working ok now, at full GPU load temp. is just 60 degrees, so I think there is room for a bit of overclocking, since EVGA Precision ican't be used, what do you advice ?

S.

NVIDA Inspector

• 3 weeks later...

Any hint?

tx

Simone

Hi,

I have bought the nvidia k5000m for my clevo p150hm with exactly the same problem, 1 beep every 30s, after 3 beeps I got a black screen but laptop still power on.

I've removed all HDD, DVD, but cannot boot to dos.

Are there any schemas to short the k5000m vbios as well?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, sorry but I haven't seen your post before. I can't get a big enough picture of the K5000m to try to find out the eeprom chip so please if you are still trying to get it working try to snatch an high res picture of both sides.
I was also meant to write an howto which I have not completed, coming soon.

Simone