Need some input re CPU upgrade......

Seeking a bit of advice regarding potential CPU upgrades; I have the AW17 R1 (Ranger) with the i7 4710MQ processor and GTX880M card.

My main use of the machine is to run the CPU-dependent MS FSX Gold Flight Simulator with a fair number of aftermarket add-ons that are pretty demanding, and Raliworks TS2015, (which is also a CPU hog) again with some quite complex add-ons.

I have two options open to me with regard to processor upgrades, an i7 4900mq or an i7 4930mx.

Both are used items with guarantee, and the cost difference is that the 4930mx is +75 GBP compared to the 4900mq, or about $113 USD.

So good people, which way would your decision go, and why......?

It's all about overclock.... the mx like the xm's before them has unlocked multiplier, that means you can overclock the cpu with ease and no aftermarket programs ( just from bios, mx enabled). So depends on you, if you are a benchmarker definatly the mx is for you, if you are a regular user / gamer dont waste money grab the mq, because even for simulators the 4900mq if enogh, but you know better.

I've bought the MX but it's not arrived yet - I'm in the UK and the CPU is coming from Germany.....currently it's with DHL!

What thermal compound have you used? I've been recommended to use Liquid Ultra and opinion seems to be that whilst tricky to apply it is unbeatable; if you are using something else perhaps consider a repaste with Liquid Ultra or the other favourite IC Diamond.

My paste of choice previously was Gelid Extreme but someone of some knowledge of these substances said that if you intend even a mild overclock it would not be up to the job, so I'll keep the Gelid for GPU repastes.

Obviously choice of thermal compound is a subjective thing but having done a bit of homework the L.U. seems to be a popular choice if you want to 'set the beast loose'!

97c does seem a little high to me........

D3nver... no version of the mx17 or aw17 have triple heatsink for the cpu, so its normal to have those temp in full load... i have a 3920mx in my mx17r4 and it's stock clock and idles in 50 C and full load is aprox 87-90 max... I do hope our colegues from tech inferno or other alienware 17 entusiasts will find a solution for us (a triple pipe mod for aw17 laptops). And the paste that i use is Arctic Mx2.

I'm curious as to what the actual prices on the two CPU's. Where I live, the Extreme 4930mx and 4940mx costs 770 and 810 Euro. And the 4900mq costs 410 Euro. The extreme Cores are 57 Watt, while the mq is 47 watt.

An Extreme Core in a laptop can not really clock that much higher than 3.9 and 4.0 GHz respectively do to thermal temperature build up within the laptop.

The CPU's maximum heat threshold are 100C. In most cases the Extreme Cores achieve this temp is under half a minute. Extremes have been notorious to throttle down and not recover in laptops.

The CPU cooling fan in the R1 series is only 2 cfm whereas the R2 series was improved to 10 cfm. Unfortunately, the R2 fan will not just pop in. You will have to some filing to get it to fit.

The Heatpipes will draw the heat, you just need a strong fan to remove the heat from the from the exhaust fins.

The 4930mx was on German eBay at 450EUR as a new tray item; that is in non-retail packaging and equates to 323.00GBP, and the 4900mx was a used item at 350.00EUR which at todays rate is 258.00GBP, so considering the MX is new and the MQ used, I thought the extra cost well-worth it!

@KCPTECH Thanks for the info re R2 cooling fans; I'll seek one out and butcher it appropriately!

PS Do you have the Dell part number for the R2 fan? I've had a Google sesh but no luck.......

KCPTECH...i have a mx17 r4 and what aplyes for this aplyes for the aw 17 aswell...i did the 10cfm moding also and you are right with one thing. The heat dispersion is a little bit faster indeed but the 10cfm fan also have a more high pitch sound wich is very anoying after a while so it realy depends of the users...more heat dispersion over the louder fan.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two options open to me with regard to processor upgrades, an i7 4900mq or an i7 4930mx.

Both are used items with guarantee, and the cost difference is that the 4930mx is +75 GBP compared to the 4900mq, or about $113 USD.

So good people, which way would your decision go, and why......?

• 3 weeks later...