14" Dell Latitude E6430 - Performance Upgrades and System Mods

Dewos, did you try setting the power profile to "ultra performance (max fan levels)" ? These power profiles suppiled by the Dell Feature Enhancement Pack are communicating with the embedded controller. For example, when the quiet one is enabled, my CPU also gets throttled heavily regardless the settings in TS, or the power limits set in the BIOS. I also encountered heavy throttling by using a 65W Dell adapter.  Using the above mentioned ultra performance, i got no unnecessary throttling (using a 130W dell PSU ofc.)

It would be great to somehow reverse engineer what is happening under the hood between the OS and the EC when setting these profiles... I consider this bloatware (especially under w8.1, the hotkey icons are also ugly and buggy), and it would be great to have manual control over the fans, and to disable the short time power limit throttling, which is also initiated by the EC.

As i found out, the fan is capable of running even higher speed(default highest ~4000 RPM, DEEP ultraprofile highest ~4500RPM), using SpeedFan, setting the fan to 100% results in ~4800RPM if i remember correctly, but after a split second the EC resets the speed to its own setting. While investigating the possibilities to gain full control over the fan i got an interesting finding, on some dell machines there is a hidden engineering menu accessable by a keyboard sequence (Hold FN + Shift,  press 1, 5, 3, 2, 4 Release FN+ Shift, Press FN + R) which does not work on the e6430 for me, but the first part of the sequence has some effect, because the caps lock lights up for a seecond... The EC Fan control can be disabled in this engineering menu on other machines, to gain full control with Speedfan

Edited by kondilac

Hey All!

I've just upgraded from HP 2570p to the E6430 (HD+, 3840QM) and successfully OC it via PaperClip. 

Now i started to experiment with Clover/OSX and almost everything works. One major problem are the screen artifacts, which are caused by my BIOS Version (read on Hackintosh-sites). Best BIOS seems to be A07. The problem is, i'm not able to downgrade anymore. Everytime i start the process it works as normal, then shutsdown and reboots normal - without installing the new BIOS (tried via Windows and via FreeDos).

Is this referred to the ME FW hack? or unlocking Flash Descriptor?

thanks in advance for your answers ;)

6 minutes ago, sefki21 said:

Hey All!

I've just upgraded from HP 2570p to the E6430 (HD+, 3840QM) and successfully OC it via PaperClip. 

Now i started to experiment with Clover/OSX and almost everything works. One major problem are the screen artifacts, which are caused by my BIOS Version (read on Hackintosh-sites). Best BIOS seems to be A07. The problem is, i'm not able to downgrade anymore. Everytime i start the process it works as normal, then shutsdown and reboots normal - without installing the new BIOS (tried via Windows and via FreeDos).

I had the same issue, and with Timohour we narrowed down the cause for this to the ME FW "hack" kind of. But for me, downgrading to A03 worked if i recall correctly, and from there you can upgrade to A07. I would also like to experiment with OSX at some point, could You share the steps? Am i correct in the screen artifacts are caused by the memory allocation of the iGPU? Because that can be configured using EFI vars i think 

Edited by kondilac

1 minute ago, sefki21 said:

Hey All!

There was another user that reported that he couldn't apply a bios update after applying the ME FW hack. I didn't have any issue in my E6430 to upgrade from A11 to the latest a few months back.

It can probably be a problem because your BIOS try to unlock the ME FW region which is already unlocked. Try to lock again the ME FW (not the Flash Descryptor region) and check if the same problem occurs.

I never tried OSX on my E6430. Does everything work? (I currently use OSX only on my desktop)

4 minutes ago, kondilac said:

I had the same issue, and with Timohour we narrowed down the cause for this to the ME FW "hack" kind of. But for me, downgrading to a03 worked if i recall correctly, and from there you can upgrade to A07.

forgot to mention, already tried A03, same issue!

3 minutes ago, timohour said:

There was another user that reported that he couldn't apply a bios update after applying the ME FW hack. I didn't have any issue in my E6430 to upgrade from A11 to the latest a few months back.

It can probably be a problem because your BIOS try to unlock the ME FW region which is already unlocked. Try to lock again the ME FW (not the Flash Descryptor region) and check if the same problem occurs.

I never tried OSX on my E6430. Does everything work? (I currently use OSX only on my desktop)

ok. i assume by again applying my modified bios dump the MW FW region will be reseted? or is there anything else to lock the ME FW region?

Yeah, works pretty well, except for that screen artifacts, i'm trying to get rid of :P... got the Broadcom 4352 installed for Wifi.

4 hours ago, sefki21 said:

ok. i assume by again applying my modified bios dump the MW FW region will be reseted? or is there anything else to lock the ME FW region?

Yeah, works pretty well, except for that screen artifacts, i'm trying to get rid of :P... got the Broadcom 4352 installed for Wifi.

If you unlocked your descryptor when you first got your dump you opened a hex editor, and looked for this HEX string

00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08

and change it to

00 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF 18 01 08

the first FF FF where to unlock your Flash Descryptor region while the latter where to unlock your ME FW region. If you revert the second FF FF to 0D 0C you will lock ME FW region and probably fool the BIOS to continue with the flash. If you revert your Flash Descryptor region (first FF FF) you will have to reapply the pinmod to unclock.

I assume that locking the ME FW region could probably solve this non-updating-BIOS issue. Try it and report back.

I have never tried it  so I am not taking any responsibility if you brick your machine. I am positive it will work though.

EDIT: Also, try what kondilac suggested above and change the memory allocation of your iGPU to anything less than 96MB...

Edited by timohour

33 minutes ago, sefki21 said:

forgot to mention, already tried A03, same issue!

This information is kind of nothing but as i recall, the HD4000 VS Hackintosh iGPU issue is caused because some memory setting of the iGPU, which can be configured using EFI vars, so if i'm correct with this then A16 could work. 

I did a lot of experimenting with various bios, EC, and ME, versions (and also succesfully upgraded the intel SATA UEFI module while chasing the best performance combination) so i can provide you a dump of the BIOS only region of A07, which you can flash with intel FPTW, after disabling the bios lock by setting EFI var 0x40 to 0x0. 

BUT 

Without a hardware SPI programmer, if this procedure somewhy bricks your system, unbricking could be very hard, or maybe impossible without the help of Dell. Theoretically, the BIOS dump is "vanilla" factory state, so it should work but i can not guarantee it. Tell me if you want me to upload the dump.

EDIT: Accordint to Timohour's post below, if this will be your last chance to get it working, first you should backup the chips raw contents with a HW programmer, and then try it maybe.

Edited by kondilac

6 minutes ago, kondilac said:

This information is kind of nothing but as i recall, the iGPU issue is caused because some memory setting of the iGPU, which can be configured using EFI vars, so if i'm correct with this then A16 could work. 

I did a lot of experimenting with various bios, EC, and ME, versions (and also succesfully upgraded the intel SATA UEFI module while chasing the best performance combination) so i can provide you a dump of the BIOS only region of A07, which you can flash with intel FPTW, after disabling the bios lock by setting EFI var 0x40 to 0x0. 

BUT

Without a hardware SPI programmer, if this procedure somewhy bricks your system, unbricking could be very hard, or maybe impossible without the help of Dell. Theoretically, the BIOS dump is "vanilla" factory state, so it should work but i can not guarantee it. Tell me if you want me to upload the dump.

A user reported a while back that flashing the BIOS region from one laptop to another (actually one motherboard to another) bricked his E6430.

So, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a hardware SPI programmer handy.

Edited by timohour

9 minutes ago, kondilac said:

I don't like the new board :(

:)

I think that the best he has to do first is use UEFI variables to change the DVMT allocated memory to less than 96MB

the UEFI variable for DVMT Pre-Allocated memory is 0x1c7. So, following the information above, check what is the default allocated memory.

Edited by timohour

2 hours ago, timohour said:

If you unlocked your descryptor when you first got your dump you opened a hex editor, and looked for this HEX string

00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08

and change it to

00 00 FF FF 00 00 FF FF 18 01 08

Tried it with   00 00 0B 0A 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08 --> still doesn't work

2 hours ago, timohour said:

:)

I think that the best he has to do first is use UEFI variables to change the DVMT allocated memory to less than 96MB

the UEFI variable for DVMT Pre-Allocated memory is 0x1c7. So, following the information above, check what is the default allocated memory.

The Value of 0x1c7 is 0x02 at the moment, 

another way - prob. the last chance and "painful" - won't i be able to install another BIOS by flashing my locked BIOS dump,  downgrade and repeat the paperclip thing?

1 hour ago, sefki21 said:

sorry - didn't see i'm not logged in - of course i tried it with 00 00 FF FF 00 00 0D 0C 18 01 08 

BTW - A17 just released..

It's been a while for the E6530... I was advised from Local Dell Pro Support to update to Α17 for better W10 support. It was time to introduce that for the E6430...

Without changing anything (regarding the Flash Descryptor) try to remove the CMOS battery for 10-20 seconds powerdrain the machine and try again to flash the BIOS version you want.

Also try setting 0x1c7 to 0x1 (32MB) or 0x3 (96MB) and check if you still have glitches in your OSX installation running your current BIOS version.

Edited by timohour

13 hours ago, timohour said:

It's been a while for the E6530... I was advised from Local Dell Pro Support to update to Α17 for better W10 support. It was time to introduce that for the E6430...

Without changing anything (regarding the Flash Descryptor) try to remove the CMOS battery for 10-20 seconds powerdrain the machine and try again to flash the BIOS version you want.

Ok. Just tried the method with powerdraining the E6430. No luck! :/
I changed the CoreRatioLimits (  0x25 0x26 0x27 0x28 ). Could this be the reason why it's not allowing me to change? Whats the default value for those? 0x00?

Also try setting 0x1c7 to 0x1 (32MB) or 0x3 (96MB) and check if you still have glitches in your OSX installation running your current BIOS version.

If A17 really provides better W10 support, i'm looking foward to update to A17 and try setting 0x1c7 with A17. Even if this means reseting Flash Descriptor and applying the paperclip hack again. 

18 minutes ago, sefki21 said:

Ok. Just tried the method with powerdraining the E6430. No luck! :/
I changed the CoreRatioLimits (  0x25 0x26 0x27 0x28 ). Could this be the reason why it's not allowing me to change? Whats the default value for those? 0x00?

Default is 0x0

18 minutes ago, sefki21 said:

If A17 really provides better W10 support, i'm looking foward to update to A17 and try setting 0x1c7 with A17. Even if this means reseting Flash Descriptor and applying the paperclip hack again. 

Did you try setting your DVMT allocation memory with your current BIOS version? Did it have any difference?

Edited by timohour

3 hours ago, timohour said:

Default is 0x0

Did you try setting your DVMT allocation memory with your current BIOS version? Did it have any difference?

yeah - still the graphics issue.

feeling like a fool right now :-(

- reseted UEFI changes

- reseted Flash descriptor to original (locked)

- again applied power drain

--> still not able to down/upgrade BIOS

so, the only thing i wasn't able to revert is the file i flashed from Khenglish, the ME Firmware E6430_OC.bin.

so before i go on again and unlock the Flash descriptor - anything else i could try?

4 minutes ago, sefki21 said:

A03 / A07 and A17

And you tried as you said with Windows and Freedos? and the result is the same? What is the result when you try with Freedos?

It is maybe useless but would you like to test the other older than your A16 BIOS available? Is the result the same?

A15,A15 24 Jun 20144:09:16 PM
A14,A14 28 Jan 20143:22:08 PM
A13,A13 17 Oct 20137:51:00 AM
A12,A12 18 Jul 20131:31:34 PM
A11,A11 03 Apr 20139:51:00 AM
A09,A09 08 Jan 20132:16:51 AM

Edited by timohour

10 minutes ago, timohour said:

And you tried as you said with Windows and Freedos? and the result is the same? What is the result when you try with Freedos?

It is maybe useless but would you like to test the other older than your A16 BIOS available? Is the result the same?

A15,A15 24 Jun 20144:09:16 PM
A14,A14 28 Jan 20143:22:08 PM
A13,A13 17 Oct 20137:51:00 AM
A12,A12 18 Jul 20131:31:34 PM
A11,A11 03 Apr 20139:51:00 AM
A09,A09 08 Jan 20132:16:51 AM

Yeah - tried A03/A07 and A12 with windows and freeDOS. Gave A09/A11/A12/A13/A14/A15 a chance via FreeDOS now - as i'm already dissambled my 6430 to unlock it. But still no update :-/

in FreeDos the Prompt comes up after executing the exe - if i'm sure. Then it prepares - wants to restart to intstall - but after coming up again it just normal boots...