Help with GTX 980M in Clevo P150EM

marteng

Hello,

i have got a P150EM with the Premamod-BIOS V2 (screenshot) and just installed a GTX980M 8GB (hopefully, at least i paid for it). Windows 8.1 64Bit is freshly installed with updates. Intel drivers (HD4000) are updated. The Prema-VBIOS for the 980M is installed.

After successfully installing the 347.90 drivers windows restarts. At the windows login screen i can only see the mouse cursor on a black background. The result is the same on an external display (connected via DVI).

In the BIOS the systems says, that there is no video card installed (see screenshot), is that correct?

Please help me!

Thank you.

Martin

post-21160-1449499982607_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if you've solved the problem already, but try this.

Now with the 980M installed, format and clean install windows 8.1 again, and see if it works.

Because old versions of windows 8.1 didn't like Enduro systems, and they would just get stuck forever in that black screen with the mouse.

If it works, first thing you do is install all the updates for windows 8.1 (dont let windows update install gpu drivers and such...)

Also, if that falls into the black screen, i see 2 more options, going for windows 8.0, or downloading a more updated version of 8.1 and installing that (this one worked for me).

Cheers

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is a bit old but i want to do the same and upgrade my 7970m in my 150EM to an 980M if possible. I couldnt find an example of a working system, only some ppl that tried it.

@marteng:Did it work for you?

Or does anyone else know if the system is stable with the 980m? I heard the power consumption might be too high? So i am unsure to get the 980M or 970M....

i am glad for any hints! thanks mork

• 2 weeks later...

Your Clevo model number I think matters more than your GPU type, assuming nothing is soldered in place. Not sure about differences between P150EM and P150SMA but it looks to be listed here on the compatible list for maxwell cards

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/3119-%5Bbios-vbios-mods%5D-prema-mod-stock.html#post54056

You need to flash prema mod, install the card, reinstall windows (i would, at least, if i were jumping AMD to NVIDIA,) and then flash one of those firmwares Prema posts. If you flash the OC one, then just install nvidia inspector and you can overclock.

also note this thread :)

http://forum.techinferno.com/clevo/8663-%5Bgpu-upgrades%5D-gtx7-8-9-p-em-hm-series.html

• Thumbs Up 1

*sigh of relief* this post has helped me greatly with my 970m install. You DONT have to reinstall windows, just use DDU to uninstall the old AMD crap (boot to safe mode with Network Support to grab and run it) It works excellently.

I'm still fighting with modded .inf files myself, but I will check out more of the forum, and keep my fingers crossed