ss

danielmxli

Question

7 answers to this question

I agree with bwang89, for the portability, battery life and processing power, not to mention the durability, a macbook air would be a good choice. However, take note that you will have port limitations on a macbook air, and you would need to purchase additional accessories for its display port from apple just to use it for hdmi or vga or DVI.

The chromebook would be limiting as everything is cloud-based. And they say, google collects data with your chromebook, although i'm not quite sure about those rumors :o

I have a macbook air and can completely understand why your gf would want one. There are lots of nice Windows ultrabooks available that are as sleek as the MBA that would be cheaper and just as useful. I bought my MBA a few years strictly for the hardware alone when there were only a few ultrabooks on the market....I bought it to run Windows.

The Chromebooks are good for basic web surfing but pretty limited as far as processing power. The only thing they can do better than your typical tablet is typing, so they're kind of a waste of money. For a student, I would recommend a Windows-based laptop that has the longest battery life possible.

i've been using a macbook air during my three years in school, and it has served me very well. The long lasting batery life, coupled with the super lightweight format is really nice.

I'm a computer science major, and have been using it for programming, and writing papers.

Is it possible to install Mac OS X on this Dell? I am also looking for notebook with good productivity and reasonable price. Mostly it will be used during business trip to prepare presentations and education notes. So most probably I will buy original MacBook

My two cents worth:

- Chromebooks are not particularly fast, unless you live 100% inside Chrome and even then it's debatable if you go beyond web-apps in Javascript.

- The battery life (to weight/size) ratio of Macbook Air is pretty much unbeatable. Yes, they downthrottle a lot on battery power, but the system remains at usable speed. Ref: Apple MacBook Air (13-Inch, Early 2015) - Full Review and Benchmarks

- Most WinTel-PC notebooks are either worse in battery life (up until Skylake in October, anyway) or bulky (i.e. bigger battery). My Lenovo is a total dog, even with dual batteries (replaced DVD-burner with extra battery) when running in balanced battery mode. I mean _really_ slow. On AC-power it blazes.

- Macbook Air uses Samsung M.2 4x SSD at c. 1285 MB/s. Many (if not most) PC/Wintel Notebooks get maybe half of that. It really shows, if you multitask a lot

- If you buy an Air, don't buy the 4GB RAM model. The RAM is soldered to the motherboard, cannot be upgraded. Buy the 8GB minimum (if your gf multitasks at all or is a browser tab hoarder)

- If you use notebook in spaces that require quietness, Airs are almost totally silent (the same cannot be said for all PC ultrabooks).

I know this is sounds like a lot of Apple love, but I'm must presenting some things to take into consideration. I'm a Lenovo/Win8.1 user myself, hoping to upgrade to Dell XPS 15 7000 once Skylake ships, but then again, I'm not shopping for an ultrabook with fast, light and good battery life specs.

Good luck with the choice!