MSI 16-F3 (GT60-0NE) GTX 780M Upgrade Guide

85daytona

Hey everyone just wanted to share my success story. My friend bought an MSI GT60 from Xotic PC years ago with 670M in it. Come to find out the laptop was not a real GT60 but a 16-F3 (Barebones version) and some people say the bios versions are not compatible but I want to confirm that you can get 780M working in a 16-F3 with the correct bios. Just last week we ordered up a 780M and dropped it into his laptop. The heatsink is slightly different and does not make contact with some of the chips but the card seems to be working pretty well and I plan on rigging up some heatsinks to the various smaller chips. I suggest ordering 0.5mm adhesive heat pads from eBay.

Anyway his laptop started with (can be seen in the bios menu or using CPU-Z):

Bios: E16F3IG6.304

Build Date and time 03/13/2012

EC: 16F3EG61 Ver4.05

EC Build: 03/21/2012

The computer booted with the 780M but the intel HD4000 would not start and neither would the 780M leaving us with a 640x480res and like 8bit colors. However after flashing the bios and video card bios all the drivers installed and everything is working well.

Flashed laptop bios using Rufus to create a bootable USB stick and using the AFUDOS.exe tool to flash the laptop bios. Then I used nvflash to flash the video card bios. I did not flash the EC but

New Bios etc. with the 780M working (Links to download below):

Bios: E16F3IMS.51X

Video card Bios: 80.04.97.00.04

I hope this helps someone out. Message me with any questions or post in this thread. I'll edit this later and add some screenshots.

Thanks, Chris

Relevant links:

(Video card Bios for various 780M cards)

Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

(Motherboard Bios we used to get the 780M working properly)

Zippyshare.com

The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread | NotebookReview

[REVIEW] MSI GT60 w/ GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5 | NotebookReview

Hello im new to this what steps did you take to flash your bios and gpu bios i currently have a CLEVO 770m and needed it to be msi 770m so i went to Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp

and grabbed mine and i also obtained the latest nvflasher and my bios for win 7 and one for win 8 64bit just in case. I tried installing the gpu at first but just as yours my picture was all distorted so now after much research i gathers these files and needed a bit of step by step to help me out some! thanks any help is much needed! and appreciated

My device is a msi gt60 0nc 670m just as yours

Ok so I was able to follow the nvflash steps to get my vbios to update and now my computer recognize the 770m graphic card but now when I play certain games for instant first person while looking around I see lines moving throughout the graphics of the game sometimes it slightly noticeable and others time very do I need to flash my laptop bios to fix it? I have the msi 60 onc version non raid?

also which os do you recommend I have 8.1 now but was thinking win 7 would be easier?