New Dell 7970M in AW M17X R3

Hello all,

got a new Dell 7970M and installed it in AW with A12 unlocked BIOS (downloaded from here), but it is not recognized. I have another laptop, Clevo P150EM, and installed the 7970M in it and there it gets recognized in BIOS as AMD Radeon 7970M.

I ran Atiflash in Clevo and it listed one adapter which is 7970M I believe and there was something like test failed and bios n/a. No idea. Also, Clevo laptop was making beeps, probably due to thermal shutdown because I didn't put any heatsink on the memory, just core?

vBios sticker on the 7970M says this: 015.022.000.001.000000

How do I get it to work and run in AW?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello guys!

Here I am with more updates. Alright, so the 7970M has been re-programmed. Great. Inserted in back in M17X R3 and doesn't work. Switched to PEG and disable iGPU, doesn't work either, 6 beeps. Luckily, I have M17X R5 laying around, inserted 7970M there and it gets recognized by BIOS and atiflash every time. I flashed a couple of Dell vBIOS'es and installed it a couple of times back in R3 and still nothing.

Luckily again, I have 770M laying around and installed it in R3 and it showed black screen and just hangs. I didn't mess too much, but, this would tell me that MXM slot works?

So, I'm running out of options here... Any advice?

• 2 weeks later...
I would appreciate any advice. Anyone?

I'm not sure. With the flashed vBIOS does the card now work in the Clevo as well as the AW17? If it's a Dell 7970m the card will do a thermal shutdown after 1-2 minutes because the embedded controller on Clevo systems cannot read the Dell 7970m EC, but it will run until the shutdown.

Also did you ever get the card to render any 3D images on the other systems? Detected in BIOS is not the same as working.

Alright, I will have to do a small update. Sorry for not doing this earlier. Clevo laptop is not around anymore.

Right now I have M17X R3 and AW 17 R1. The card is recognized in AW 17 R1 in BIOS. I haven't done any 3D images on it. Should I since I need to get it working in M17X R3?

Alright, I will have to do a small update. Sorry for not doing this earlier. Clevo laptop is not around anymore.

Right now I have M17X R3 and AW 17 R1. The card is recognized in AW 17 R1 in BIOS. I haven't done any 3D images on it. Should I since I need to get it working in M17X R3?

It would be good to see if the card really does work in the AW 17 R1. This will then narrow the problem to the m17x R3. You might find on the AW 17 that while the card is reported in BIOS, that it is in fact non-functional. In the BIOS the laptop is just running off the integrated graphics, and we don't know if the card really is operational or not. If you can install a graphics driver without Error 43 in the device manager and have the card render a game or something then we know it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, came back with some good news. Had a chance to grab 670M for a moment and installed in M17X R3. Worked right away without changing anything in BIOS. This says my MXM slot is working. Good.

Now onto 7970M and AW 17. Hope I don't get any erros in Windows.

I will report back more.