gtx770m working but gtx780m not working at gt780dx(ms-1761)

qlqltls

Some compatability issues are present with the GT780 and the high end Kepler cards (not sure if its optimus related or just something else), 680m, 780m and 880m(rebrand of 780m) do not work, however the 970m and 980m both work in this machine which are better than any of the previous generation so go for one of them instead.

Need vbios modify? or new firmware?

Where to download that?

Sorry for my English

- - - Updated - - -

Some compatability issues are present with the GT780 and the high end Kepler cards (not sure if its optimus related or just something else), 680m, 780m and 880m(rebrand of 780m) do not work, however the 970m and 980m both work in this machine which are better than any of the previous generation so go for one of them instead.

970m is better than performance.

But ....no more money......

Need vbios modify? or new firmware?

Where to download that?

Sorry for my English

- - - Updated - - -

970m is better than performance.

But ....no more money......

It's been reported that the Clevo version of the 970m works without vBios midification with modified INF drivers. You will need a 780m heatsink then modify it to fit, or find an MSI 970m heatsink from a GT60/GT70.

So you did risk it and tried it in the end ?

So you did risk it and tried it in the end ?

Yes I did and it works!

However, the high TDP of this card means that it was shutting off my 240w power supply when running games that are both cpu and GPU intensive, I have had to buy a 330w

power supply to sort that.

My 2960xm is most likely contributing to the issue (higher TDP than the qm chips at 55w) but a 180w power supply is definitely not enough to cope with the 980m even with a qm cpu so anyone thinking about this upgrade needs to be aware.

I'm delighted the upgrade works but I would advise the 970m as the better option for the gt780 as it has a lower TDP meaning it's a better balanced upgrade in terms of price, performance and plug and play results.

• Thumbs Up 1

what program did you use to flash vbios i also have a clevo 770m that i wanted flash to msi 770m i didnt know the steps to flash vbios??

You need optimus laptop or MS-1762 or MS-16F3.

It work to sandy bridge.

and use nvflash, msi gtx770's vbios.

May be you have EEPROM WRITER

You can change gtx770 vbios

• 2 months later...

The GTX 970M is working perfect in GT780,i was the first People who try this.

The Card was from Clevo,both Vbios Version works without Problems.

But it works only with mod-Driver from Laptopvideo2go,maybe now it is possible to use the Nvidia Driver.

Now i have this Card in my MS-1763,i don`t Need Modded Driver.

The GTX 670MX or other GK104 Cards are never works in MS-1761.

I tried GTX 670MX,GTX 675MX,GTX 680M and other GK104 Cards,only GK106 Cards work in MS-1761.

The GTX 765M only with Mod-Driver beause there are no MSI Vbios.

The Benchmark Result in 3Dmark11 is:

9500 GPU

8500 Performance

with i7-2670QM and 8GB Ram.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

So what you're saying is, buy a GTX 970M, plug it in, also add the modded cooling, do the required stuff for the drivers and viola? simple as that?

Im not being skeptic btw, I am the biggest sucker for hope. also I am in the same situation, gt780dxr, the gtx570m is dead, same old.

Awesome! I asked msi about it and they confirmed that thr gt780 can handle the gtx970m with no need to change the adaptor. Only I'll need to upgarde vbios and ec firmwares. I knew about the vbios but I have no idea what the ec is, and where do I obtain these firmwares?

Also Bloetschkopf, do you have any pictures of your setup? Would love to see that heatsink setup.

You can use this card without problems.

The Best Heatsink of Course is the Heatsink for the GTX970M/GTX980M.

The Heatsink of GTX 780M etc with or without CPU Bridge nearly the same

The Heatsink of GTX 570M-GTX675M is possible,but to much Thermalpads are needed.

The Heatsink of the GTX 460M/GTX560M is the cheapest and good Choise,i used it several Times with different Keplercards.

post-33931-14495001019663_thumb.pngHeatsink Kepler

post-33931-14495001020178_thumb.png

post-33931-14495001020752_thumb.png

post-33931-14495001019972_thumb.png

• 4 weeks later...
You can use this card without problems.

The Best Heatsink of Course is the Heatsink for the GTX970M/GTX980M.

The Heatsink of GTX 780M etc with or without CPU Bridge nearly the same

The Heatsink of GTX 570M-GTX675M is possible,but to much Thermalpads are needed.

The Heatsink of the GTX 460M/GTX560M is the cheapest and good Choise,i used it several Times with different Keplercards.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16326[/ATTACH]Heatsink Kepler

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16328[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16329[/ATTACH]

I did some research turns out heatsinks, individually, are hard to come by.

But the guy from ebay also sells clevo or alienware heatsinks for the 970.

Now I know I cant use them, but I only need the alumunium part of the heatsink just to fit it in my laptop.

The seller said I can just mod my own heatsink with a dremel, but in your experience it takes too much thermal pads so I'm not sure.

Do think I can just buy a clevo heatsink, and just take the alumunium out, and fit it onto my own?

Or is it too tight and it wont come off?

Thank you in advance.

Please don`t make this Nonsens,take a Look here.

Ebay: 161887854608

Pardon my stupidity,

But the 970 heatsink is designed for the dual fan GT72, and I have a single fan.

I dont think I can use a 970M heatsink att all.

Either 460/560 or my own with some mods I think.

But I did find a 460 heatsink on ebay, so, I think its a green light.

I am sorry if my lack of knowledge is frustrating for you, I hope you'll forgive me.

This Heatsink was the right one for Your GT780.

It was the heatsink from a GT70 with GTX 970M.

hey Bloetschkopf,

I got my new Clevo 970m delivered for my MS-1761. But then I realised the heatsink is different for the 570m and 970m.

You mentioned before that the 570m heatsink is a bit too small but might still work. How would you make it work? Would you recommend though to buy another one?

I've only found one in europe which is way pricier than in US: New MSI MEDION Heat Sink nVidia GTX780 GTX770 E31-0406580-Y31 | eBay

Is that a correct one?

You must modify the Heatsink from the GTX 570M

The Heatsink on Ebay is the right one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]16605[/ATTACH]

so you are saying that it isn't a problem that the 570M heatsink has a rectangular copper shape while the 970M has a square one?

I can dremel the rest I am only worried about the copper plate not covering the GPU core enough.

The size of the Copperplate from the GTX570M is 30mm x 20mm,when i remember right the Die Size from the GTX 970M/GTX 980M is 21mm x 21mm.

Of course you can use small Stripes of Thermal Pads at the Edge.but this is not really the best Solution.

The better Choise ist the Heatsink from the GTX 460M/GTX 560M because you can get this cheap and the Copperplate is much more bigger.

Red : Remove

Green: Fill with Thermall Pads

Blue : Thermal Paste

post-33931-14495001268318_thumb.jpg