Alienware M15X project computer

hey guys, new to the forums here.

so yesterday i traded my Xbox one (i actually bought it for 99 cents last year) for a co workers Alienware m15x, its got the core i7 820qm, 8gb ram, no hard drive (i threw a 500gb sshd in and imaged it) it had a gt 240m (i put a gtx 470m in it). the laptop is kinda beat up and will need a new bottom (like $15 on eBay) but i got the gtx 470m and the laptop for my xbox one so i dont think it was a bad deal.

i installed the gtx 470m yesterday and it wasnt taking the card so i created a DOS bootable thumb drive and upgraded the bios. And presto she fired right up. i couldnt find the drivers for the card anywhere and the nvidia ones wouldnt work, so i used one of those driver utilities to find the drivers (the program seemed sketchy but it worked). so now i have the right drivers and everything however the card is running really slow, 50mhz clock speed, 135mhz memory clock.

so thats where im at, im currently moving so i will wait on ordering the parts but i plan to get all new casing and a new keyboard. i tried msi afterburner and i cant adjust the clock speed on the card at all so im considering selling the gtx 470m since dell doesnt support it and getting a gtx 460m.

I'll try and post some pictures later on tonight, luckily this isnt my main laptop so i can take my time on it (i use an Alienware 17 r5 as my main) anyways, any help with the upgrade would be hugely appreciated, and let me know of any other upgrades i should do to the laptop.

do you know about stealth mode??? try that i think thats the problem.

I haven't heard of stealth mode, by the name I'm guessing it favors battery life over performance and underclocks everything? I'll look into it tonight but when I tested it last night it was running really good and ran every game I had downloaded at max settings.

I see you have two m15x's are there any common problems I should look out for? Should I upgrade the cpu?

Thanks for your reply.

to be honest i never had any problems on my alienwares and i can tell you i did some wierd things to them, only ADM cards seem too have memory problems (overheating)....i did watercooling and lots more.....in the link something about stealth mode.

HOW TO DISABLE STEALTH MODE IN M15X ??? - Alienware Forum - Alienware Club - Dell Community

Gr Mike

to be honest i never had any problems on my alienwares and i can tell you i did some wierd things to them, only ADM cards seem too have memory problems (overheating)....i did watercooling and lots more.....in the link something about stealth mode.

HOW TO DISABLE STEALTH MODE IN M15X ??? - Alienware Forum - Alienware Club - Dell Community

Gr Mike

Alright, well that's good to hear. I didn't have stealth mode on, but ever since I flashed the vbios I haven't had a problem with it. I'm surprised at how cool it's running now aswell.

It seem to run stable (no blue screens or other issues/errors). So I'm gonna call it good, thanks for all your help.

• 2 weeks later...

The GTX460M has native support for dell drivers.

The gtx470m was not supported at that time. Good to know that it works. :)

Search StealthIndicator is a software to force the stealth mode, if you do not have or do not get it, report it and climb the file.

• 7 years later...