220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter discussion

jacobsson

You can stick an 6-Pin on the Dell DA-2! Yes.

But you can't put an 8-Pin on the Dell DA-2 without modding the cables! Even with two male ends, you should able to guess the pinout of the female end.

Edit: The 8-Pin you have, is it a PCIe 8-Pin splitter or a 8-Pin ATX to PCIe splitter?

Edited by Dschijn

5 hours ago, Dschijn said:

You can stick an 6-Pin on the Dell DA-2! Yes.

But you can't put an 8-Pin on the Dell DA-2 without modding the cables! Even with two male ends, you should able to guess the pinout of the female end.

Edit: The 8-Pin you have, is it a PCIe 8-Pin splitter or a 8-Pin ATX to PCIe splitter?

The cable I have is a PCIe 8 Pin Splitter.

29 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

No, with an 8-Pin PCIe you will have to rewire it. Currently you would have a GND and 12V direclty connected!

So i would just have to pull the wires out and stick them in the appropriate spots?

• 2 weeks later...

I just cut mine open (was tired of these adapter-plug-hassle) and found, beside of those 8 lines, one blank (non-isolated) wire inside. What's that for?

Edited by kos

On 10.6.2016 at 4:35 PM, Dschijn said:

No, with an 8-Pin PCIe you will have to rewire it. Currently you would have a GND and 12V direclty connected!

Hi,

I really would like to find a solution of using a 8pin to connect with the Dell DA2.

can I use this 8-Pin ATX cabel instead of a 8-Pin PCIe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-ATX-12V-8-Pin-to-Two-6-2-Pin-PCI-E-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Version-3-/331506354913?hash=item4d2f518ae1:g:s0sAAOSweW5VB6LV

Is it possible to just use the 6pin without the 2pin to power the GPU?

If I got everything right I just have to remove the cabel of the female spot where the male "sense"  of the DA2 takes place.

Is there anything to do with the "remote"?

Edited by HDC

Hello, I need some quick questions answered. I am a novice with electronics. 

So firstly after purchasing the Dell 220w DA-2 I realised the 8 pins (I believe they are called EPS or something?) are different to the 8 pin PCIe and all the 8 pin to 6 pin converters I can find online use the 8 pin PCIe to 6 pin. Now is there  a place to purchase an 8 pin EPS to 8 pin PCIe converter so that I can convert it again into 6 pin? Also would doing this negatively affect the graphics card in any way?

Also if I get an 8 pin pcie to 6+2 pin pcie will i be able to just plug in the 6 pin to the gpu and leave the 2 out and will it still work?

Edited by Atom

6 hours ago, Atom said:

So firstly after purchasing the Dell 220w DA-2 I realised the 8 pins (I believe they are called EPS or something?) 

No, it is a proprietary pinout.

6 hours ago, Atom said:

Now is there  a place to purchase an 8 pin EPS to 8 pin PCIe converter so that I can convert it again into 6 pin?

The only thing that matters is that the 12V and ground lines are connected as per 8pin PCIe pinout. Refer to the pinout diagrams at the top of this page.

9 hours ago, Arbystrider said:

No, it is a proprietary pinout.

The only thing that matters is that the 12V and ground lines are connected as per 8pin PCIe pinout. Refer to the pinout diagrams at the top of this page.

What about the 8 pin to 6 + 2 pin, if I plug the 6pin into a graphics card requiring 6pins  will it still work even though the 2 pin isnt connected to anything? Also would this be okay for converting the dell 8 pin to pcie: http://www.moddiy.com/products/CPU-ATX-8%2dPin-to-PCIE-6%2dPin-Adapter-Cable-(10cm).html?setCurrencyId=6&gclid=CI3QkrXL1M0CFWQq0wod-DcD5A?

Or this:http://www.moddiy.com/products/Bitcoin-Mining-CPU-8pin-TO-2-PCI%2dE-6%2b2pin-Splitter-Cable.html

Need reply asap pls! 

Edited by Atom

Hi, I am in need of some help. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I purchased an Akitio eGPU from someone on Reddit. The eGPU came a little bit incomplete. The seller was able to use the eGPU by some other method, but intended on using the DELL power brick as that was included with the purchase. I am kind of at a loss on where to go with wiring up the DELL power brick because the wiring in mine does not really look like anything in this thread unless I am just missing something. I have included some photos here, but it looks like the GPU is wired and soldered to the female molex plug on the Akitio.  

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

6 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Where do the 6-Pin PCIe wires go to? Do they end up in the barrel plug?

I'll pull the board off when I get home and take a look, but without pulling that board off that is what it looks like. I'll upload another photo, but it won't be for about 8 hours. The wires are fed to the back and it looks like they may be soldered to the barrel plug or the board that the female barrel plug adapter is on. 

Also, thank you for the response. I really appreciate the help.

19 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Where do the 6-Pin PCIe wires go to? Do they end up in the barrel plug?

Okay so I pulled everything apart and took some photos. It looks like the 6 pin PCIe is soldered to the back of the female barrel plug as shown in this photo below. I also provided a photo of the barrel plug with exposed wires I was provided as well as the dell power brick. Thanks for the response and the help. I am at a complete loss and would love to get this working.

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

Hey guys, can you please confirm that the following could work (main goal is not to alter the akitio box AT ALL).

Cm7RVRtWAAEDnzT.jpg

1\ Cut the DELL DA-2 cable.

2\ Solder all GROUND together as well as all 12v together.

3\ Solder the 2 cables we obtained to a 5.5x2.1mm barrel.

4\ Split into a 6 PIN MOLEX from the internal barrel.

Thanks

On 7/8/2016 at 3:23 AM, Dschijn said:

Huh.... and how did he connect the Dell DA-2? Was there a 8/6-Pin to barrel mod?

He did not have it connected to the Dell yet. He somehow powered it another way. I can't remember exactly what he said but something about a bench the provided the power.