Alienware r3 mx17 Cleaning n differences?

litoid

Hi, im relative new user in this site and i took the chance to ask some things i wanted to know and i can't find on the web..

once i used baby wipers to clean my pc and i kinda screwed its surface, specially the outside face where the lit up alien logo is (front cover).

it now feels like.. not soft anymore.

is there a fix for this? i found a replacement in ebay, but no video of how-to..

and for future cases, how can i clean the pc correctly? (not only keyboard-screen)

-----------------------------

extra question, is there a lot of difference between r3 and the newest r5/r6?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, im relative new user in this site and i took the chance to ask some things i wanted to know and i can't find on the web..

once i used baby wipers to clean my pc and i kinda screwed its surface, specially the outside face where the lit up alien logo is (front cover).

it now feels like.. not soft anymore.

is there a fix for this? i found a replacement in ebay, but no video of how-to..

and for future cases, how can i clean the pc correctly? (not only keyboard-screen)

-----------------------------

extra question, is there a lot of difference between r3 and the newest r5/r6?

What do you mean baby wipers ? The one with the alcohol in it ?

Difference ? yes, shape, color, and most definetely the spec and hardware compatibility.....

The problem with baby wipes is not the alcohol content; I've been using a substance sold in the UK as a telephone cleaner which is a dilute of Isopropyl alcohol. Used only occasionally on a soft multifibre cloth it's great for removing greasy fingerprints and build up of dirt.

The damaging content of some babywipes are lanolin, which is a greasy substance derived from sheep wool, and also used in fabric softeners, and probably even worse in terms of damage to laptop components are a group of chemicals called Phtalates, which are plastic softeners..........

If the R3 has a 'soft-touch' coating applied, this has likely been degraded by phthalates and is probably unrepairable. You could try using a dilute Isopropyl/water mix a soft lint-free cloth - nothing to lose really there if you have sourced a replacement!

As regards a how-to - have a look on the Dell site here:

Product Support | Dell US

You'll see there is a service manual that give a step-by-step on stripping and rebuilding the R3

Hope this helps!

Dave

• 6 months later...

I end up by updating my laptop skin to a product under aliexpress with appearance of Leather. Not expensive and the result is awesome. the skin before was really ruined and terrible to touch. Now it looks classy and soft again.

Anyone looking for a leather skin you can search it here:

KH Special Laptop carbon leather skin cover guard protector for Alienware M17X R3 R4-in Laptop Bags & Cases from Computer & Office on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

And there are other styles/colors. For less than $20, it saved my laptop.

Salut!